Sonoma Raceway Z2/Yamaha RWorld annual event

For those who love to "take it to the track!"

Moderator: rztom

smokamoto

Sonoma Raceway Z2/Yamaha RWorld annual event

#1 Post by smokamoto » Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:01 am

I finally got the chance to ride my RZ500 during the Z2/Yamaha annual event August 16th at Sears Point oops Sonoma Raceway.
It’d been 4 years since my last track day, first time the RZ was on a track. I’ve know the only good place to let theses bikes rip is on a racetrack and I wasn’t disappointed. It so reminded me of my old TZs & built RDs I used to race so long ago (but faster), including the hot smell & look of the exhaust tips!

The bike ran great, the Avon Road Riders work ok, and the most important part is I didn’t crash & the motor didn’t let go :grin:.
It was very gratifying to ride this bike after a long overhaul and the issues that came with that.

Thanks to Z2 Track Days & Yamaha Motor USA for holding this event year after year.
And a big thanks to all the members here who helped out when I was lost :shock:.

Photo credits Dito Milian gotbluemilk.com, paid for by Yamaha!

Darrell

Re: Sonoma Raceway Z2/Yamaha RWorld annual event

#2 Post by Darrell » Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:19 pm

I'll bet that bike got lots of attention. Sears Point is a great track!

smokamoto

#3 Post by smokamoto » Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:17 pm

It brought lots of gazes & smiles :smt007

kpke

#4 Post by kpke » Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:27 am

Very nice smokamoto.

If/when this comes up again how about a heads up?

Maybe we can get a few more "local" smokers out there.
Ken's Garage YouTube Channel :smt023
https://www.youtube.com/c/KensGarage1

1985 RZ500 (R6 suspension & body work)

smokamoto

#5 Post by smokamoto » Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:51 pm

kpke wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:27 am Very nice smokamoto.

Thank you Ken, I should have let the group know about it my apologies, honestly it’s a bit scary/crazy taking these out on a track (given how valuable & collectible they are) however you only live once.
Plus the racetrack truly is the best place to open these beasts up, it amazes me how fast mine revs from 8k to 10.5k+ RPM, need a quick shifter like my Tracer 9 I just got.
Smart, easy money would have been to take my Tracer to Sonoma but the RZ is so nostalgic for me :grin:!

rz500guytexas

#6 Post by rz500guytexas » Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:03 pm

Way to go. Dont let it rust away. These bikes are becoming more rare but a good flogging never hurts. Need video. I always wonder where my old bike is and if it ever gets ridden. Be sad to think it gets dusted every few months as the crank seals go bad. Mine gets out next month after ne clutch installed. Can not wait. Stay safe.

smokamoto

#7 Post by smokamoto » Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:28 pm

rz500guytexas wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:03 pm Way to go. Dont let it rust away. These bikes are becoming more rare but a good flogging never hurts. Need video. I always wonder where my old bike is and if it ever gets ridden. Be sad to think it gets dusted every few months as the crank seals go bad. Mine gets out next month after ne clutch installed. Can not wait. Stay safe.
Good flogging :smt045 - yup it sure was.
I had videos of 4 sessions on my old GoPro 3 which had worked fine in testing at home, after a software update. When I tried to play them back hooked up to my TV I could see them but they wouldn’t play. Put the card in my laptop it read “damaged/corrupted repair it click here”…well they all deleted from the card :smt013.
Have a blast with your new clutch and keep it shiny side up!

smokamoto

#8 Post by smokamoto » Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:55 pm

kpke wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:27 am Very nice smokamoto.

Heading back to Sonoma for another rack day on the RZ :cool:. Monday October 11th with Carters At The Track.
Will be there Sunday evening to camp in the pits.

Anybody else?

rd84
- - - - -
- - - - -

#9 Post by rd84 » Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:04 am

Great to see your bike in action - looks fantastic

Cheers
Paul

smokamoto

#10 Post by smokamoto » Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:32 pm

rd84 wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:04 am Great to see your bike in action - looks fantastic

Cheers
Paul
Thank you Paul, next one getting close :smile: !

rz500guytexas

#11 Post by rz500guytexas » Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:19 pm

Remember those are track days, not races. keep it safe and sunny side up. If you and all around know that. everyone goes home happy.

Few suggestions if you are open minded. You look crossed up. Starts with getting ankle rotated which will allow you to open your inside hip to the corner. This will allow your upper body to turn. Also open your shoulder to the corner. Both of these will allow you to rotate and get more weight over front and keep lean angle minimized. Also lets you look to the exit or where you want to go, not where you are at. Put your head out over the inside bar and into the corner and the bike will follow. A lot of weight to work with. Hopefully you have had suspension set up for you with someone that knows what they are doing and run good tires.

Most importantly, remember it is a GP REPLICA, repeat, REPLICA. Be safe.

smokamoto

#12 Post by smokamoto » Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:22 am

rz500guytexas wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:19 pm Remember those are track days, not races. keep it safe and sunny side up. If you and all around know that. everyone goes home happy.

Few suggestions if you are open minded. You look crossed up. Starts with getting ankle rotated which will allow you to open your inside hip to the corner. This will allow your upper body to turn. Also open your shoulder to the corner. Both of these will allow you to rotate and get more weight over front and keep lean angle minimized. Also lets you look to the exit or where you want to go, not where you are at. Put your head out over the inside bar and into the corner and the bike will follow. A lot of weight to work with. Hopefully you have had suspension set up for you with someone that knows what they are doing and run good tires.

Most importantly, remember it is a GP REPLICA, repeat, REPLICA. Be safe.
rzguy - I agree that track days are not races, in August I was in the middle group, just recently I bumped down to beginner as my lap times fit better there.

I appreciate the positive feedback and correct postering tips. My old racing buddy Pete is now an instructor with Fun Track Days and he echoed your comments.
Last week I tried your tips and knocked almost two seconds off my best lap time, thank you!

Here’s my reality; I’m a 65-yr old retired AFM roadracer from the 70’s & 80’s with a ton of “old” experience. I understand that the new way of going fast is much different than 30 years ago.
Be aware that my old RZ500 has stock wheels and forks w/RT springs & cartridge emulators, Avon Roadrider bias-plied tires, Wilbers shock with stock swing arm, stock pegs and bars. I had major shoulder surgery 2 yrs ago and have the expected physical issues from 50+ yrs of bicycle, motorcycle road racing, & jet ski crashes.

And check my old pics, I was crossed up way back, old habits die hard. It’s what I’m comfortable with, especially at my age (old dog new tricks?).

So I'm doing the best I can with what I have left and having a blast! Just want to get my old RZ & body out there as many times as the Lord grants me!

Stay safe & healthy!

10-11-21 Sears Point https://youtu.be/QNa32WTRKQI
https://i.postimg.cc/8CF8m0cL/03-BED231 ... 4-FD74.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/httRfjqy/1373-F498 ... DA09-F.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/Bn79D0Sq/2-C6741-E ... -B0-C1.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/wTVdqNnR/55-E09111 ... E63447.jpg

Redline Junkie
- - - - -
- - - - -

#13 Post by Redline Junkie » Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:39 am

Great video, so nice to see someone actually riding a 500 on a track. Too many bikes are parked for ever with owners watching their value as if it were a Stocks on the NYSE. I track my RZ350 now and everyone there is worried I will crash it. I tell them I would sooner ride it and take the risk, over waxing it and only dreaming of the experience!!
1985 RZ500 52X needing crank, parked for 11 years. Original condition!
1985 RZ350R F1 75% built
1986 RZ350R F2 Runner
1987 RZ350R F2 basket case

smokamoto

#14 Post by smokamoto » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:22 am

Redline Junkie wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:39 am Great video, so nice to see someone actually riding a 500 on a track. Too many bikes are parked for ever with owners watching their value as if it were a Stocks on the NYSE. I track my RZ350 now and everyone there is worried I will crash it. I tell them I would sooner ride it and take the risk, over waxing it and only dreaming of the experience!!
Thanks, it’s a risk I’m willing to take as well, you only get one lap in life!

lost1750GTV
- - - - -
- - - - -

#15 Post by lost1750GTV » Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:08 pm

Liked the old pics. Like you I used to race. When we were young enough that it was racing, same era so a lot of , uhh, enthusiasm.