More testing on TZ at COTA

For those who love to "take it to the track!"

Moderator: rztom

rz500guytexas

More testing on TZ at COTA

#1 Post by rz500guytexas » Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:54 pm

Only one day at COTA due to the heat, keeping mileage down, and retirment budget. The group I ride with seems to be getting aggresive for a track day. Notice block pass early in video. Was over it quickly and just hung back. Main reason for racing with AHRMA bu have found how slow I am on the TZ. Last race was at Heartland Motorsport Park in Topeka, Kansas. Only riding in open two stroke. Was 16 seconds a lap down on front riders. Can ride sound of thunder also which might happen at next Laguna Seca race. Think there will be some fast riders there. Someone is putting a $3,000 purse up for winners in each class each day. $500 for each group. Will be nice going somewhere I have ridden before. Wish I had time and money to go a week early with Moto America there the week before.

At COTA was finally able to do a plug chop on back straight. Asked my instructor and he said no. Tried to explain I siezed it last year and I know where to get off track. Went ahead and did it with no issues. Loaded the bike myself on trailer and tied it down. Plugs looke way safe and only saw 1,100 degree on back straight on EGTs. I just need to quit thinking so much about the bike and ride it. I feel I am leaned over so far and do not want to push any more, but am not. The bike is so small you are just closer to the track all the time. Will see how California goes.

TESTING WITH SHORT TRACK SESSION: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jq35iRDAhqE&t=83s

kpke

Re: More testing on TZ at COTA

#2 Post by kpke » Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:39 am

Nice Paul. I'll see you at Laguna Seca. :smt006
Ken's Garage YouTube Channel :smt023
https://www.youtube.com/c/KensGarage1

1985 RZ500 (R6 suspension & body work)

rz500guytexas

#3 Post by rz500guytexas » Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:17 pm

Looking forward to going. My brother is going with me so the drive will be a lot easier. Are you going to ride on track or come out and when do you plan on getting there? I sure wish I could use this little bike a bit more. I dropped oil level in forks last night so will see if it will settle in the front with my slower corner speeds.

lost1750GTV
- - - - -
- - - - -

#4 Post by lost1750GTV » Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:10 pm

Good that you are familiar with laguna coming to the race.
Learning a track, and how to go fast on it, isn't instant for most of us.
Have fun, dont sweat over the "fast guys" being faster, you probably have 25 years on them, and they probably raced the same type of bike when they were 25.

AHAMAYfrank

#5 Post by AHAMAYfrank » Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:27 am

Paul,

Frank Schoenbeck here to talk you down from the wall, so I have to tell a story.

This is my 3rd year racing my TZ250B with AHRMA (#25). The year before that I did the AHRMA riders school using a 450 single in a TZR250 frame, and rode a number of events with that bike. My first race of the first weekend was Sound of Singles 1, which is the unlimited singles, and I was lapped by the leader in my class. Not just the leader in the race, the leader in my class (the leader of the race lapped me too) I rode SS2 later in the day. Had a blast.

I acquired my TZ later that year and rode a couple of track days and just the final AHRMA race at Barber. I got smoked. Had a blast. Just love riding 2-strokes on pavement, as all of us here no doubt.

I have improved substantially in the last couple of years and now I am pretty much mid-pack with a field of 10 or so in the open 2-stroke. I also ride Sound of Thunder 2, just so I can get more track time. Same thing there, about mid pack. I just hold my line and let them rip by. Last week at NJMP there was the biggest turn out I have seen of 2-strokes. Of the 10 or 11 there was only one 125, so that would have made 8 TZ250s and 2 RS250s. On Saturday I was 6th and Sunday 4th. At 65 years old we are about the oldest in there but in NJ there was a 71 YO - he beat me on Saturday but I got through the 4-strokes in the class in front of us faster than he did on Sunday, so I moved up a bit. In the Sound of Thunder2, I went 11 of 22 and then 10th on Sunday. Had a blast.

I guess to be competitive I would need to pick a different class or two, but I knew that going in. There are a few guys that are a fair bit younger and they really rip. They also fall off once in a while and occasionally we all have mechanicals, so we just need to circle around at our pace and enjoy the sounds and smells. The more bikes we get the more races within the race we will have, and fighting for 7th and 8th can be quite rewarding.

Frank S.
1973 Yamaha AT3 e-start, 1977 Yamaha TY250D, 1985 RZ500, 1987 Suzuki RG500CH, 1991/2014 TZR450F Yamaha, 1991TZ250B Yamaha, 1991 Yamaha TZR250R, 2005 Scorpa SY250R, 2017 Ducati SuperSport939S (for the runners)

rz500guytexas

#6 Post by rz500guytexas » Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:40 am

Thank you Frank. Mike Bootes has told me to stop messing with the bike and concentrate on my riding. I need to get the gearing correct for which ever track I show up at. I just switched to GP shift again so need to remember that in those oh no moments. There are several spots at Laguna were you need to upshift while still leaned over. I agree about riding in the Sound of Thunder class to get more seat time. If trip goes well and i feel good will do that. My Taichi suit is also getting adjusted because the air bag made it difficult to get comfortable. With suit on, unzipped there was 6 inches open in front. They are adding the stretch panels on the sides to give room for the air bag deployment and for me to be able to move around.

Thank you Frank for help and talk in Topeka. I still have the 5MM base gaskets. I will see how many I have. I have your number

Luther

#7 Post by Luther » Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:48 pm

Paul, it was good to meet you and your brother at Heartland Park. I want to complement you guys for your very professional but keep cost down approach to racing. Like cooking healthy food at the track. That's the only way to get to ride as often as you can. I'm 61, a huge fan and suffered serious withdrawl symptoms watching you and Frank grid up.
I'm thinking back to late 70's mx and a friend saying "I'm just gonna pin it" then he made the full throttle hand, the other hand like its wrapping duct tape to hold it. I always wondered just how much he learned leading a big field of 125 experts before he cartwheeled off last lap but still finished good. I was just learning how to adjust things to feel comfortable and all he cared was nothing would break in half. So it's kind of funny as an older guy, to me anyways, you discussing how to ride better, go faster. You look like a good fit on the bike and it was moving around like it should. It should use most or all of the fork travel if there's a hard dip or drop on the track. What oil level was it at and where now? What's the manual say? You pointed out the zipty on fork and I think less oil would be the right direction.
If you want a bunch of track time CMRA does 400 and smaller endurance racing on saturdays. Theres always teams looking for an extra rider

rz500guytexas

#8 Post by rz500guytexas » Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:31 pm

I dropped oil level 10 mm before Laguna. Dave Moss was there working with Iconic motorbikes so at end of day when he was off their dollar, i had him check mine. He said back was perfect. Front had a bit of a catch. My compression setting were not the same. He adjusted and then made rebound equal. Bike did fine but stil have an inch of travel left. I think I am not using the brakes enough and not pushing front enough.My front tire has 3/4 inch strip on it. I had raised the front to get rid of the twitch feel but am going to drop it 5mm. That should get me in the correct direction since I am a little more familiar with the bike. Barber is in October and Nate Kern is doing an event at COTA in September. See the doc August 11 for first time to see about the hernia and when I can get it repaired. Hopefully she says it can wait till after Barber. Sitting it is OK but standing no.