Switchgear refurb

General forum on troubleshooting electrical problems and modifications to electrical systems

Moderator: rztom

Almac

Switchgear refurb

#1 Post by Almac » Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:55 pm

Hi Guys.

Just starting a lockdown :sad: refurb on the bikes switchgear. Just going to repaint/new stickers and clean the switches, looking for a few pointers with regards to cleaning and the paint.

1. The red switches are a bit pink, I'm sure I read somewhere that a scrub with toothpaste brings them back to red. Any idea if this is true or any other suggestions to clean them up?

2. Are the main switchgear cases gloss or matt black from factory?

One thing I did notice when I stripped the wiring and switches was one soldered wire to the kill switch was hanging by a few strands, this would have been an interesting fault find if it had broken out on a run. Might be something worth checking on your own bikes.

Cheers and all the best for 2021.

ChequeredFlagRacing

Re: Switchgear refurb

#2 Post by ChequeredFlagRacing » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:45 am

Anyone care to comment on restoring the red switches then I could do mine
TIA
Yamaha FS1E 1975
Yamaha RD200 1976
Yamaha RD400 1977
Yamaha AS3 125cc 1978
Yamaha AS1 125cc 1979
Honda CX500
Honda MT125cc 1980
Yamaha TZ125G 1981-82
Zeger TC500cc 1983-84
Yamaha RD500LC 1985-87
Honda C90 1989
Yamaha DT175 1993
Yamaha RZV500R 2018

bokusouchi

#3 Post by bokusouchi » Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:49 pm

Image Image

Image Image

Red plastic is very sensitive to UV . Japanese RZV500R will hoften have their red switches faded
to pink by 35 years of Japanese sunshine , ( Japanese sunshine has a lot of UV , somehow ) (me think ) .

I refurbished my switches recently (red and grey) .These are "after" pictures . I did not take "before" pictures
(unfortunately) . They were quite pink , and part of the writing on it ,was gone .

This is what i did :

I dismantled completely the left and right hand switchgears , so to remove each individual red and grey plastic buttons.

You have to be very careful at this stage and study very well how thing are fitted before doing anything . the 37 year
old white internal plactic bits can be brittle and there are several small springs . Some white plastic parts have to
be slightly pried open (again be very careful and gentle ) .
You might consider trying to dismantle an old / damaged similar Yamaha handle switch from a less costly model (like
FZ750 fz600 , etc ) , just to get an idea how things are fitted together(i you never did it before ) .

If you are careful , it is quite doable .

Once you have the individual buttons , you have to remove may be an external layer of may be a few 1/100th mm that has turned
white due to UV , the underlaying plastic is still red , the the overall impression is pink .
Use abrasive sheets (for bodywork) with water starting with 500 grit then 800 , 1000 , 1200 ,1500 , 2500 , 3000 , 5000 , 7000 (always with water )
to remove this layer on every visible surfaces .(be gentle , and do not work too fast )
Then , use some red bodywork polish to buff by hand , with a cotton cloth (on red buttons ) (for grey buttons use white polish) .
Repeat the procedure , if needed , until you are satisfied withe color/shine of the surfaces .
Buffing can also be done with a Dremel and a soft cotton buffing wheel .But do not put much pressure , and don't run it too fast , otherwise
the plastic surface will melt ...
the "PASS" button has a groved surface , so , do not sand too much otherwise the groves will disapear or be very faded .
You have to compromise between removing the surface pink and not flattening the groves ...

After that , you will restore the the white engraved writing on the buttons :
clean the buttons with a mild detergent (washing up liquid ) to remove the oil from the polish .
use some white automobile touch up white paint (the one with small brush ) to fill the engraved
writing on the button . (it is ok if it overflow a bit ,out of the engraving) (it is not possible to do otherwise).
let it dry for one day .
wrap tighly a soft cotton cloth on a small flat bit of plank (three or four layers ) , put some white polish
on the cloth , rub the engraved surface of the button on the flat surface of the cloth .
this will remove the white paint on the surface of the button , but not inside the engraving .
I used the same procedure to restore the white numbers on the top of the fork ) (spring preload) .
When done , wash the buttons in washing up liquid ,
and reasemble everything ..

JonW

#4 Post by JonW » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:24 pm

Thats a great write up, and pretty much what i did as well :)
www.2smoked.com

80 XT500 Supermoto!
81 RD350LC Resto
82 RD421LC Hybrid
82 RD250LC '251LC' YPVS
83 RZ350 Resto
84 RZ500 Resto
85 RZ350 F1 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Hybrid

Like Watches? www.PloProf.com & www.DeskDivers.com

bokusouchi

#5 Post by bokusouchi » Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:36 pm

Thanks for the feed back Jon ! always nice to get feed back after posting something .
Rereading my post , i found several misspells , duplicated words , and typing mistakes , well .... i hope it is still readable ..