BARBER VIDEO NEW SURFACE POST MOTO AMERICA

For those who love to "take it to the track!"

Moderator: rztom

rz500guytexas

BARBER VIDEO NEW SURFACE POST MOTO AMERICA

#1 Post by rz500guytexas » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:27 am

Not fast laps with new spring on shock, brand new resurface of track, and still feeling BST wheels out. Surface was silky smooth. Knee puck was like being on a piece of carpet. The fluid in reservoirs would just stay level and not slosh as normal. The tires would come off track like 100 grit sand paper was taken to them. Perfectly worn. My tire guy was there over weekend as support for some Moto America guys and suggested tire pressure higher to see how they wore due to increased grip then adjust as day went on and back out preload on front to put more weight on front. I settled on 30 rear and 32 front with normal pressure at 27 and 31. Normally you would add preload on grippy surface. There were a lot of low side accidents due to heat bringing oils to the surface. The resurface was only two weeks completed. Needs a good rain to help clean it. A few Moto America riders I know said it would be absolutely amazing grip and then it would just go away. All in all was a great weekend. Picture should be up soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ec4r0Rk ... e=youtu.be

silverstrom
- - - - -
- - - - -

Re: BARBER VIDEO NEW SURFACE POST MOTO AMERICA

#2 Post by silverstrom » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:09 pm

Serious skills. You make it look easy.

JonW

#3 Post by JonW » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:28 pm

Fantastic report, great ride. I showed my wife the video and said 'where is this?' and she said 'Barber.... oh cool the new surface is done!' not bad at all for someone who isnt at all interested in bikes LOL!
www.2smoked.com

80 XT500 Supermoto!
81 RD350LC Resto
82 RD421LC Hybrid
82 RD250LC '251LC' YPVS
83 RZ350 Resto
84 RZ500 Resto
85 RZ350 F1 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Resto
86 RZ350 F2 Hybrid

Like Watches? www.PloProf.com & www.DeskDivers.com

rz500guytexas

#4 Post by rz500guytexas » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:48 pm

No serious skill but a lot of seat time. Moto America was over 30 seconds faster. Once surface ages in then I will go quicker. The bike flicks so easy. I am going to drop back end to get rid of some of the twitchy change of directions. Look at this for tire wear.

silverstrom
- - - - -
- - - - -

#5 Post by silverstrom » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:03 pm

rz500guytexas wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:48 pm No serious skill but a lot of seat time.
Give yourself more credit. It isn't easy doing what you are doing and the hard work has obviously paid off. You've had help along the way, but it's you in the seat and you do make high speed on the track look like a day in the countryside because your skills make it look like a lot less effort than it actually is.

kpke

#6 Post by kpke » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:18 am

Well said John.

Paul, I appreciate you posting the videos/Photos and being out there on your "vintage" machine.

Keep it up.
Ken's Garage YouTube Channel :smt023
https://www.youtube.com/c/KensGarage1

1985 RZ500 (R6 suspension & body work)

rz500guytexas

#7 Post by rz500guytexas » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:35 pm

Thank you guys. Really appreciate that. A lot of seat time, Rick's comments to keep the engine performing as it has for over 6 years, good parts and setup on bike to keep me safe, and good instructors that have been patient with all the riders of different skills. I am blessed to do this with a fused lower left leg that left me with about 30% ankle range. No one has ever caught the extreme angle of the shifter. I miss shifts randomly because my foot gets stuck under shifter. I hit shifter and boot often on left turns so I really have to focus before committing to a left that take a lot of lean angle. Body wise, I feel it two to 3 days later because i am not in the shape i need to be in. 6 laps at barber is similar to 30 push ups and 60 low squats. It is mostly upper legs and triceps that take abuse. Hope to get a few more track days in before years end and hope my business sale and commitments are completed soon so I can enjoy the TZ 250 while I still can. I need to do a write up as I did a while back about track day riding over the past few years. Maybe it will get some other out that that are on the fence or think they can not do it. As John and another instructor said this past weekend we are only racing the racetrack. LET ME TELL YOU WAY SAFER THAN THE STREET AND MORE FUN