Last track day of 2018 COTA

For those who love to "take it to the track!"

Moderator: rztom

pstamper
- - - - -
- - - - -

Last track day of 2018 COTA

#1 Post by pstamper » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:33 pm

Beautiful weekend for once at COTA. No 100 degree weather. The event was poorly run though. The F1 support structures were being taken down so a lot of confusion on parking. I arrived early and took my normal spot. We had erratic calls to grid all day. Usually you have 3 calls, 10 minutes, 5, then all bikes to grid. We would get a call that would be 7 minute or 5 minutes. We went to class and then were told we should be on lunch. Just a lot of issues in general. This time of year is usually Nate Kern Double R but Ride Smart took it. I was going to ride in his event at VIR but hurricane changed those plans. I went out on bicycle during first ride and counted 59 bikes without me. Nate usually has 30. Was a bit of traffic at times.

I installed new GPFAX pads on bike so never got brake points correct. Found myself braking, letting off, coasting, and reapply the brakes at corner. Absolute awesome pads. Took 3 sessions to get them bedded in. Should of been able to brake between 150 and 100 meters at end of back straight. Front straight should of been near the white line going up hill. The track also had a few more bumps show up. Bike would wheelie coming out of 9 and exit of 18 the dip seemed worse. Track came in well after lunch. Kept old gearing on bike so back stretch was a bit of a strain. If i carried enough exit speed out of 11 it was better.

Rode a little tight all day. Clear visor was on early sessions. Rode more upright and never got hands and arms correct most of the day. Think it was the liter bikes coming at me on the insides off the long straights keeping me anxious. Was always concerned that i would turn in on them. Then when I could out brake them i would not take the inside line concerned with them tipping in early. All in all it was still a blast and the year was great. Knee did OK after surgery but was always sore. And shout out to Rick Lance for all the help and on improving my riding getting 6+ years of track use so far. As he told me good fuel, oil, Champion plugs, better throttle control, and I guess an OK engine build. :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:
Will be going over bike this winter. Thinking of straight up 250 race bike. Depends on house progress over next few weeks.

VIDEO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJuftTYWwLo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lost1750GTV
- - - - -
- - - - -

Re: Last track day of 2018 COTA

#2 Post by lost1750GTV » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:12 pm

great pics

podman

#3 Post by podman » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:17 pm

Quality pics and video as always, some fast and open quick-ish left and rights at (what seems to me) the "back" of the circuit, fantastic looking circuit.

pstamper
- - - - -
- - - - -

#4 Post by pstamper » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:56 pm

Thanks as always. Fun season. HERE IS TRACK
The section from 12 thru 18 is very technical. Get it right you are ok. Main thing is clip the back of the corners that are more than 90 degrees so you can carry some exit speed, 1, 11, 12, and 20. Brake late and stay on paint of back straight, clip the back of turn 12, run wide and come back left entering 13, late turn to 14, clip back of corner. Straight to 15 , no going to right, late apex and clip back of 15 exiting. The stadium section is very fast, 16,17,18 big triple apex right. It is easy to enter early. Best spot is middle of track under bridge, clip the inside of the next turn between 16 and 17, drift most of the way out at 17 and come back in at 18. The big bikes are a little slow thru all the section unless they are better than average riders. 19 can be taken way faster than I go, probably 20 mph faster, it is cambered a bit and same coming on front straight. Can always catch people coming into the esses and going into and out of 6. There is now a bump now exiting 9 into 10 where the bike will power wheelie. Bad place for it because 10 is really fast. They fixed the bump on the back straight somewhat. The F1 car just destroy a track.

I will get a short video of one of the guys that was with Josh Herrin on an R1 railing by me in 6 and 7

pstamper
- - - - -
- - - - -

#5 Post by pstamper » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:58 am

Here is the video of the pass. I seriously was thinking Rossi just passed me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iB7_rjG ... e=youtu.be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

two-stroke-brit

#6 Post by two-stroke-brit » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:42 pm

WOW he slipped past you like it was nothing :smt006
and then he was gone .
fantastic grip available.
mark
She might not be pretty but always a fun ride !!

pstamper
- - - - -
- - - - -

#7 Post by pstamper » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:27 am

He was with the Moto America group that was there. Level 3 sells out a lot so they troll in L2. Makes you realize how much speed is left in a bike.