RZV500R restoration

Got a customizing or restoration project? Post your progress pictures and updates here

Moderator: rztom

Racer

Re: RZV500R restoration

#16 Post by Racer » Wed May 06, 2015 5:15 pm

Some updates

Does all this engines have black Paint inside all ports includeing the exhaust port?

Machined a 3 degree advance key to rectify the difference between front and rear cranks.

Engine coming together. To You experts, how much RWHP does a good std clutch take before it slips? I plan for around 100 HP, does it need stronger clutch springs?
ESW Rotax 250 racer, Kawasaki S2 350,
Yamaha RZV500R, Honda VFR400R. NSU Prima D 150 cc 1957

Matty
- - - - -
- - - - -

#17 Post by Matty » Fri May 08, 2015 6:35 am

It's a pretty big and robust clutch, it should be able to take the 100 HP.

How do you get your circlip pliers and jewelers screw drivers to stick out of your peg board like that?
I'm not a complete idiot...some parts are missing.

two-stroke-brit

#18 Post by two-stroke-brit » Fri May 08, 2015 8:43 am

its a magnetic dish (i have one too)
She might not be pretty but always a fun ride !!

Racer

#19 Post by Racer » Sat May 09, 2015 5:20 am

Thank you Matty :)
I will leave the clutch as it is.

Anybody out there who can confirm if all this engines have black paint coating in all ports as std?????

My engine was only 7 300 km from new, looked like it newer had been opened before. It was very little wear, cylinders as new, pistons reused only put in new rings. When I saw the black coating in the ports I was not so sure anymore.

Matty
- - - - -
- - - - -

#20 Post by Matty » Sat May 09, 2015 5:49 am

I can't confirm for sure but I would say the paint in the ports is stock Yamaha overspray.
I'm not a complete idiot...some parts are missing.

Racer

#21 Post by Racer » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:14 pm

Some updates:

Now I have a rolling chassi

Ending up using my offset key on the front crank. This delayed the fronk crank timing to excact the same top dead center timing as the rear crank. Now I have some degrees later ignition than std. Therefore I have made New marks for top dead center, 20 degrees advance and 20 degrees advance on the flywheel. Had to make an expanding axle to run my degreeing Wheel from the opposite end of the front crank. This to be able to take the stator cover With the alignment opening on and off without disturbing the crank position. Used the piston stop methode to find Bottom dead center. When I put on my banshee advance key on the flywheel I think I have the ignition timing were I want it. Final checking will be With stroboscope when everything is hooked up and engine running.

Racer

#22 Post by Racer » Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:17 pm

Here is a pic of the timing disc attached to the primary drive side;
<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s637.photobucket.com/user/Racer_ ... "></iframe>

Racer

#23 Post by Racer » Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:44 pm

Tested the check valves after I found that my rigth front pipe had a lot of oil inside when I dismantled the bike. Made a measurement of the oil leak through the pump and found a loss of 1 ml oil pr. day. Not much but adds up when engine stands for weeks and months. Took of each check valve and carefully pressure tested each one. Two was ok and two was not. Decided to rebuild them, required removing of the threaded part of the valve. Making a New thread insert With New valve seat and reusing of the spring and ball. Now they are adjustable for spring preload and rebuildable.

pstamper
- - - - -
- - - - -

#24 Post by pstamper » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:40 pm

You guys all amaze me with your skills. Nice work on the engine. I would like to know how stable the frame is under corner acceleration or braking. I want to swap to my aluminum frame but am concerned with flex. Keep the updates coming.

silverstrom
- - - - -
- - - - -

#25 Post by silverstrom » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:06 pm

Racer wrote:
Anybody out there who can confirm if all this engines have black paint coating in all ports as std?????
I have about 20 spare cylinders here. I just checked and the ports are black. The only ones that aren't are the ones that have had work done. In original condition they are all painted.

2smoke

#26 Post by 2smoke » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:27 pm

Please school me on why you have done this with your cranks.

Not dissing you, I just wonder why.

Its not a mistake by Yamaha that they are geared and timed this way. Its deliberate.
I don't know why.
:smt017
So do you have stepped keyways on both ends of the forward crankshaft?
Colin

Rufus

#27 Post by Rufus » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:56 am

pstamper wrote:You guys all amaze me with your skills. Nice work on the engine. I would like to know how stable the frame is under corner acceleration or braking. I want to swap to my aluminum frame but am concerned with flex. Keep the updates coming.

Ditto, such a privledge to see....and so green with envy
Its not skill, its an art gift

Racer

#28 Post by Racer » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:26 pm

Hi all

Thank you for the feed back :) Last weekend I did have my first initial start after rebuild.

First I measured the rebuilt check valves for leaking. They was found to be ok. No oil loss after one week testing.

Had some gremlins off course, first I had no spark :(. Spent most of the saturday looking for the foult, but gave up and had some beers.
After sleeping on it, I found it on sunday. I had swaped/misplaced two of the leads at the back of the instruments.
Rectified it and it was sparking :)

Then I filled the radiator With coolant, and off course it was a pissing leak from the engine rigth side :(.
Took of the elephant ears and carbs, and found that the thin water hose from the base of the #3 cylinder to the main Return pipe was leaking. I have probably punctured it myself when taking it off. Replaced it and filled coolant again and it was ok :)

Adjusted the oil pump at the marks, filled the gas tank With 1/2 gallon With 3% premixed and had a go. It started immidiatly.
idle was ok and it purred like a cat :) Smoking heavily first, lesser after two Three ful heatcycles.

Had som minor fuel overflow leaks, but got better when I tapped the carbs carefully With the shaft of a screwdriver.
Everything seemed ok, and I planned a longer highway trip NeXT weekend.

It went absolutely terrific. Nice sunny weather on twisty roads. A beautyful day and I must say a fantastic bike.
It was my first ride on one of this beautys. I fell in love With bike and the feel instantly. Amazing piece of machinery. Covered almost 260 km With everything working Perfect (felt I could go on and on, but the evening was arriving). Started first kick everytime. Idles beautyfully With Nice tickover at 1 200 rpm, comes like a turbin on Power.

Took it easy the first 100 km, then I gave it some stick up to 9 000 rpm at some occasions. It really flies and 200 km/hour came very fast.
I measured both fuel consumption and oil consumption.

Fuel consumption was at 0,77 l/10 km for the first part and 0,82 l/10 km for the last part (gave it some more throttle through the day)
Average fuelconsumption ended at the 0,8 l/10 km mark. Thats not bad for a 500 cc twostroke :)

Oil consumption was a big surprize. After I came home and refuelled it I also filled the oil tank. The oil consumption With pump at marks as pr manual, was under 1% of the fuel consumption! To be safe I had about 1% premix added to the fuel, so average oil/fuel mix was around 2%. I had not experienced any temperature issues, no problems at all. Thinking of it afterwards, I suggest that cruising at 4-5 000 rpm does not require much throttle. Thrashing a twostroke With this Power all day would bring you to missile speeds.

I would like to hear others opinion on this subject. Any out here done similar oil consumption test?

Enough for to day, see you guys. BTW I want to have it on a dyno soon :)

silverstrom
- - - - -
- - - - -

#29 Post by silverstrom » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:16 pm

Racer wrote:To be safe I had about 1% premix added to the fuel, so average oil/fuel mix was around 2%.
Keep in mind that adding oil to the gas tank and using the pump actually leans the fuel mixture.

Racer

#30 Post by Racer » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:27 am

Yes Silverstrom, I know.
The carbs have std jetting and needles, so it is Rich. Specially in the lower part of the midrange.
I will test it out like this, perhaps change needles later.

Thanx

Racer