Streetfighter RZV Roller

Got a customizing or restoration project? Post your progress pictures and updates here

Moderator: rztom

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

Re: Streetfighter RZV Roller

#556 Post by Smoker » Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:11 pm

I have the same fear, Martin.

I've read it takes 20 years. I have a tiny bit of hope that I could become good enough to weld my projects in 2 years.

And I can always ship the tacked-up parts to someone else, if I can't. :smt023

Was looking at the new TIG today and thinking about aluminum.

I believe the toggle switch goes to AC, so I don't have to think about it.
Stick/TIG button will stay on TIG. Don't have to think about it.
I read it's better to learn without using the PULSE, so that knob stays OFF.
This machine has an AUTO AC BALANCE setting. Since I don't know shit-
AC knob stays on AUTO. Don't have to think about it.
Will turn up the POSTFLOW knob. As long as it's more than I need, I'm only wasting gas. Won't affect the weld.

Only settings for me to play with are the OUTPUT knob and gas flow.
Seems like a good machine for a beginner.

MK

#557 Post by MK » Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:12 am

Don't worry. At the end you can't help it anyway and it is what it is.

My point was simply to not put yourself under pressure and see it as something to enjoy.
If it works - fine.
If it doesn't, you tried at least.

Concerning your machine settings I guess you can't screw up something. All of them will work and as a beginner you'll sometimes hardly notice a difference.
Just get yourself some rods, scrap sheet material and start practicing.
Bye
Martin

Luther

#558 Post by Luther » Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:46 pm

Smoker, its always good to see projects moving forward. If you ever find the source of the tail piece please let us know because thats one sexy part with all the right curves and I want one also.
I like the way you plan out your work designs and make dimensional drawings. I'm getting where I have time to do some od jobs so if you have any parts you need made post it here and I'll tell you what I can do

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#559 Post by Smoker » Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:51 pm

Luther wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:46 pm Smoker, its always good to see projects moving forward. If you ever find the source of the tail piece please let us know because thats one sexy part with all the right curves and I want one also.
I like the way you plan out your work designs and make dimensional drawings. I'm getting where I have time to do some od jobs so if you have any parts you need made post it here and I'll tell you what I can do
Thank you much, brother.

I think the source/fabricator of that tail can be found. Just need to get the word out and ask the right people in Japan. I know they have a huge active RZV500 owners group over there.

So sorry I haven't done more with this project. The cancer hit me hard mentally, and combined with my last moto crash, I've been in poor spirits. Hopefully, you guys can see from my recent posts that I still have some fight left in me.

Registered last night for college welding classes in the Spring semester. Will be starting the Winter semester on Jan 10. Not sure how much I can handle, but we'll find out.

Hard to put into words how much I appreciate the friendship that I've found here. I know the best way to show my appreciation is to finish the bike.

Let me see what I can find, Luther. :smt023

TwoStrokeNut

#560 Post by TwoStrokeNut » Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:06 pm

One day I hope to get a TIG welder. I learned how to do all sorts of welding in high school, including TIG, but that was eons ago. I recently purchased a cheap flux-core welder and I'm really enjoying re-learning this skill and having welding in my arsenal again. Next will be a TIG box as I really enjoy doing anything with aluminum and an occasional SS job that comes along too.

Good luck with your welding class. That sounds like fun to me. Please pass on some of the highlights you learn if you have a chance.
Project bike links: NS400R - TRIPLE THREAT // RZ500 - MOSQUITO CONTROL BIKE // RZ350 - REVIVAL
'72 H1-500/'75 H1-500/'85 RZ350/'85 NS400R/'01 DR650/'07 FJR1300/'18 Tiger 1200

Luther

#561 Post by Luther » Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:16 pm

I tig weld steel and getting better but mostly because I clean things more, better lighting and I use stonger reading glasses. At 61 its hard to focus on one spot a long time

lost1750GTV
- - - - -
- - - - -

#562 Post by lost1750GTV » Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:28 pm

At a little older I find it hard to focus on anything haha
I think we are all looking forward to seeing your first welding "projects", Smoker.

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#563 Post by Smoker » Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:27 am

Check out the tail.

Even though the video is from 12 years ago, maybe there's a chance I can contact the guy that posted it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LDRdvRDIn8M