Nice Cars, Bad Day

"Off-topic" forum for general BS - spout off here

Moderator: rztom

silverstrom
- - - - -
- - - - -

Nice Cars, Bad Day

#1 Post by silverstrom » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:40 am

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/l ... -1.4052081" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This makes more sense once you know the penalty for speeding in Ontario. 50 kph over the limit is automatic roadside seizure and impoundment. It also comes with a fine of up to $10,000. This sort of thing isn't common here, but it does happen. What is uncommon is this particular group of vehicles. Ruzty and I, and several others, came across a group like this on a ride we did several years ago. The rich kids car club. Millions of $$ worth of very exclusive and expensive cars pulled in to a gravel parking lot far out in the countryside across from where we had stopped. Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Ford GTs, and on and on. When they left the lot you could feel the earth shake. Short fat guys with tall young girlfriends. The kind of guys that don't worry about money. I suspect that when they appear in court they may find the judge has that same feeling as the fines are being handed out. This sort of things destroys your insurance rating, but I doubt these guys worry about that sort of thing.

When we do our rides that limit is always kept in mind. Non-freeway speed limits are 80 kph max, which is rather pedestrian for a bike. 130 kph gets you a $10,000 fine and a day in court. It's a very fine line between fun and stupidity. Apparently that line is easy to cross if you have a group of hyper-expensive supercars.

BigGuy
- - - - -
- - - - -

Re: Nice Cars, Bad Day

#2 Post by BigGuy » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:41 pm

Times are tough out there John. I sure hope these poor guys can make ends meet after this?
Shake "N" Bake!

silverstrom
- - - - -
- - - - -

#3 Post by silverstrom » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:34 am

Looks like there will be one less supercar the next time the group heads out http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/l ... -1.4071594" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RuZty
- - - - -
- - - - -

#4 Post by RuZty » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:22 pm

silverstrom wrote:Looks like there will be one less supercar the next time the group heads out http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/l ... -1.4071594" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"It's too early to know if speed played a role in the incident"

If speed wasn't a factor the guardrail must have been going really fast in the opposite direction. :shock:

I think there was a report of a McLaren being destroyed a few weeks ago too. I wonder if these things end up at the same auto wreckers that regular worn out old junk goes to.