Gauloises YZR500 3MA (Mistress)

Got a customizing or restoration project? Post your progress pictures and updates here

Moderator: rztom

pstamper
- - - - -
- - - - -

Re: Gauloises YZR500 3MA (Mistress)

#256 Post by pstamper » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:55 am

Looks like SMX Plus boots. Those are really comfy. Lost one at last track event after crash and bought a used set of Gaerne boots. Had local place do repairs on my suit

Dubsey
- - - - -
- - - - -

#257 Post by Dubsey » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:00 pm

Jessica is running smx's and im running with supertech's
Wanted dainese but didn't like the style or fit
Had a pair of gaernes back in the 80's very impressive for the time when compared to others
My best leathers were a set of hand made to measure Crowtrees sadly no longer around
still have them but a little tight and no body armour but it was the eighties and they cost about £700 then !
Mediocrity is a sin !

pstamper
- - - - -
- - - - -

#258 Post by pstamper » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:07 pm

I was going to buy the super techs. Are you happy with fit, sizing, and control on the bike.

Dubsey
- - - - -
- - - - -

#259 Post by Dubsey » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:02 pm

pstamper wrote:I was going to buy the super techs. Are you happy with fit, sizing, and control on the bike.
they took a little time to get used to, as they use the inner boot design
I have toes like fingers :) so the 'crease' wear point would not be in the usual place
and were a little painful to walk in, ok now
apart from the metal heel clicking on pavement
my understanding is that you can buy replacement parts if needed
Mediocrity is a sin !

pstamper
- - - - -
- - - - -

#260 Post by pstamper » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:47 pm

The Gaerne boots really look protective with the ankle support on each side. Zipper goes really low also. I had nasty high side 4 years ago and was recently clipped going on the back straight at COTA going into third gear. Last crash the RS Taichi suit got chewed up, had SMX Plus boots which did great along with GP Tech gloves. Had huge contusion that showed up on calf right above the boot top which took a long time to heal. I see Dianese is going to start selling their air suit in the US finally. If I keep doing this it will be in my future.

http://www.motocorsa.com/post/dainese-d ... to-the-usa" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dubsey
- - - - -
- - - - -

#261 Post by Dubsey » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:38 am

Another small part ;) ..... found in China !
Mediocrity is a sin !

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#262 Post by Smoker » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:52 pm

Nice decals!

Good to see you posting again. :smt006

Dubsey
- - - - -
- - - - -

#263 Post by Dubsey » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:38 pm

Smoker wrote:Nice decals!

Good to see you posting again. :smt006
can't get to the bikes , so playing on ebay
Mediocrity is a sin !

RC45
- - - - -
- - - - -

#264 Post by RC45 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:13 pm

"Playing on eBay" --- outside of "I do!" those are a few of the most financially devastating words there are LOL :) hehe
CBR1000RR SP2 HRC WSBK
TZ500V/OW53 Track bike
YZR500 OW81 Clone
OW69 Daytona 200 Replica - 784cc Monster
NS400 Track Bike
RS250R NF5
TZ250T 2KM
TZ250B 3YL
TZR250 3MA Track Bike
427ci C5 Z07

Dubsey
- - - - -
- - - - -

#265 Post by Dubsey » Tue May 02, 2017 9:54 am

RC45 wrote:"Playing on eBay" --- outside of "I do!" those are a few of the most financially devastating words there are LOL :) hehe
hahaha
did the 'I do' many years ago....... never again.......will continue with ebay and my mistress :)
Mediocrity is a sin !

Dubsey
- - - - -
- - - - -

#266 Post by Dubsey » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:30 pm

Hi guys, posts have been a little scarce of late
some of you may have seen that I put the mistress up for sale recently, reluctantly.
fortunately I met up with Ade at Stafford and after having a chat, I put my rs125 up for sale instead
Ill be keeping the 500 :)
My friend, the proprietor of unit 5 motos, put the 500 on his site for sale
as usual got the nice comments, but no sale
but there was one particular statement that has sort of got under my skin
quote ..... its looks a million dollars shame its fundamentally flawed
on questioning this, he explained that in his opinion the swingarm pivot is to far from drive sprocket
in fact he got quite abusive to a friend who questioned his expertise, quite a popcorn moment :)
I do also remember a similar post a couple of years ago on the forum, same guy ? who knows ? who cares?
I have taken the 500 out on many tracks with many members of this forum, and from what I remember no one had any concerns
with the bikes performance or handling, unless I missed the conversation ?
Now im a little old and damaged to be competitive on any bike
so this summer, my 500 will be entered in the weekend races at Brands Hatch GP circuit in the Blue Haze class
the rider is Jeremy Hill who is Chairman & Director of Rider Development at the British Racing Motorcycle Club (bemsee)
He has won many championships over the years and is one of the few to ride my 500
So hopefully we will do ok, and finally put this myth to bed on the 3ma conversion
Any helpful prep ideas would be appreciated
I will try to get the engine freshened up, zeel and bigger carbs sorted by the race weekend , July 7-8th 2018
Mediocrity is a sin !

Ade SYM

#267 Post by Ade SYM » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:04 pm

Dubsey wrote:Hi guys, posts have been a little scarce of late
some of you may have seen that I put the mistress up for sale recently, reluctantly.
fortunately I met up with Ade at Stafford and after having a chat, I put my rs125 up for sale instead
Ill be keeping the 500 :)
My friend, the proprietor of unit 5 motos, put the 500 on his site for sale
as usual got the nice comments, but no sale
but there was one particular statement that has sort of got under my skin
quote ..... its looks a million dollars shame its fundamentally flawed
on questioning this, he explained that in his opinion the swingarm pivot is to far from drive sprocket
in fact he got quite abusive to a friend who questioned his expertise, quite a popcorn moment :)
I do also remember a similar post a couple of years ago on the forum, same guy ? who knows ? who cares?
I have taken the 500 out on many tracks with many members of this forum, and from what I remember no one had any concerns
with the bikes performance or handling, unless I missed the conversation ?
Now im a little old and damaged to be competitive on any bike
so this summer, my 500 will be entered in the weekend races at Brands Hatch GP circuit in the Blue Haze class
the rider is Jeremy Hill who is Chairman & Director of Rider Development at the British Racing Motorcycle Club (bemsee)
He has won many championships over the years and is one of the few to ride my 500
So hopefully we will do ok, and finally put this myth to bed on the 3ma conversion
Any helpful prep ideas would be appreciated
I will try to get the engine freshened up, zeel and bigger carbs sorted by the race weekend , July 7-8th 2018
Mark,

Will definitely be going to watch some of those races....Ade

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#268 Post by Smoker » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:29 pm

Please keep us posted on the adventures of your wonderful bike.

With video!

Ax-Racing

#269 Post by Ax-Racing » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:07 am

Hi Mark

happy to know that you will keep your great 500 project :grin:

concerning sprocket/pivot distance, I think that have been spent thousands words but only few people can appreciate advantages or issues
to be honest distance is only one paramenter to obtain a good frame, relative height between two points, center of gravity,
setting of rear shock and others can affect bike handling and motricity.

as i told, in my project i tryed to move forward pivot and put longer swingarm, so I tryed to replicate relative
position of critical points directly from a GP chassis but, at least, bigger and heavier engine change thinghs
all whole bikes result heavier than last two stroke factory machines, COG fall in different position and horsepower are far less.

in practice, when i met Mark and his bike on track, he was always faster than me and bikes seems to run well, also in a short racetrack.

so, what is the real sense of our project ?
first of all, try to build something with our knowledge, try do do our best with material, donor parts and tools we have
second, have fun and satisfaction ride our creation
third try to obtain a decent tune (not easy with wide range of modification done)

I stop here !
if somone else have better ride skills and want to test bikes and themselves in a race, well !
probably also in this situation, for common rider, a good build special bike works fine

f you want more, and your skill ability are very good, you need more tuning, and more and more, in that case, probably, you can find the limits of an home made bike. some could be fixed with better components, some other not, probably you need to redesign entire bike.

I'm so far from this situation but, remember, that our projects start form a 30 year old bike and, defintely we got an improvement from the originals.
Alex

Dubsey
- - - - -
- - - - -

#270 Post by Dubsey » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:16 am

Hi Alex exactly
When I built my 500, I realised as it was being built compromises would have to be made
which they were, so I went for the look over function as I originally built it for road use
It worked very well on the road, in fact it was easier to ride than my 748 Ducati
Since I first met you and Wolfgang in Varano, the mistakes (visually) I made were even more apparent to me
At Magione, after Jessica had crashed, I took the 250 out , and was shocked at how it could be thrown about
Jessica said that the 250 was quicker than the 500 !
Hence the nickname for the 500 Big Blue Bus
I tracked the 500 in france with other members of this forum
I was able to stay with the guys in the corners only losing out on the longer straight, need more power less weight
A long standing promise to allow Jeremy to take the 500 out at Brands Hatch happened in 2016
I was out on track at the same time on a super mono, thinking I could watch the 500 from a different perspective
hahahaha I saw it as we exited pit lane , never to see it again, at least I didn't get lapped, the same happened the following day
Now, Jeremy is a very accomplished rider, and I asked for his honest opinion, and I meant be honest
His only criticism was it running out of gears at the end of the straight, and he couldn't believe how light it was (he races a ZX10)
On paper etc it may not work but as Alex has said we are not dealing with GP components
so C of G will be different and many other things etc etc
I do believe I got lucky with my build using the components I did, and what Alex has done is nothing short of amazing
I would be very interested to feel how Alex's bikes ride, I have watched them on track and they appear to work very well
Myself and Jeremy are taking this meeting seriously and we are going to have a real try at winning our class
I have a new bottom end which will be cannibalised to rebuild the 500 and the top will be freshened up
if finances allow programmable ignition and bigger carbs too
I believe this is an interesting side project and for me and Jeremy
After all how many 500's are out there racing ?
Im also hoping to get the reporter who did the original magazine article on the 500 involved
Mediocrity is a sin !