Mickey Krupa Tribute Build Thread

Working together to finish Mickey's RZ500!

Moderator: rztom

jak167
- - - - -
- - - - -

#91 Post by jak167 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:47 pm

To All:

Spoke with Brian today. He's still trying to clean up the mess caused by the storms in CA (guess he's east of San Fran), but has not been able to respond to my emails. However I did find out a few things.

First, new cylinders are supposed to be done and he should have them back this upcoming week. He also had ordered the pistons and should also have them this week.

The Gasket set generously donated has been received. Thx HWY9CA!!

The balance shaft I ordered has been received.

I have ordered the Carbon Tech reeds and Brian should get them this week. Brian says he hasn't received reed blocks form his contact yet.

The Zeeltronic arrived at my house this week, and I will be getting to Brian when I get frame to him. (I may be road-tripping to CA sometime over the next few weeks with the frame).

Carbs still up in the air.

Bodywork not sure yet, Brian has friend who owns bodywork company (I don't know if I should say the name yet) who is checking to see if he still has the molds. If so we're golden, if not, we're bumming.

Still need clutch shaft, oil pump gear.

Next, I was going through a few things myself and realized I hadn't yet addressed the issue of footpeg brackets and pegs. I have the original ones, but they are quite large and heavy. What aftermarket footpeg brackets and pegs have people been using for the RZ500's?

The email I sent to Brian earlier this week was quite lengthy and he indicates he's hopefully going to have access back by tomorrow. If not, then I am going to fax it to his wife's work. Once Brian goes through the list I should be able to provide the detailed list I've been promising for a while (sorry).

John
Years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
-Mark Twain

Long Live Mickey!!

jackson.40

#92 Post by jackson.40 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:54 pm

Hi John,
I sent the oil pump gear/drive by airmail to Brian on Monday so he should get it next week.
Cheers Steve

Vin
- - - - -
- - - - -

#93 Post by Vin » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:04 pm

John,

I have a clutch push rod, pm me the address to send it to please mate?

jak167
- - - - -
- - - - -

#94 Post by jak167 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:29 pm

Man, I must have left my glasses (which I do wear BTW) somewhere. I see that jackson.40 said he had the oil gear. Doh! Thx again for remembering for me. :smt023

Vin, thank you for your response and your donation.

I've said it before, but I will say it again. Everyone here kicka$$. The fact everyone has been donating time, $, and parts to get this build done once again proves that those of us who ride, race, and/or rebuild bikes are a bunch of crazy SOB's who live by a few little known ideals now-a-days, such as honor, integrity, and righting wrongs.

You can ship to:

Mr. Brian Turfrey
Team Turfrey Racing
663 Hedburg Way
Oakdale, CA - 95361

John
Years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
-Mark Twain

Long Live Mickey!!

cbn70

#95 Post by cbn70 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:04 pm

Vin,
you might want to check with Brian before you send the clutch push rod. I sent him one and he should be getting it by Monday or Tuesday.

Vin
- - - - -
- - - - -

#96 Post by Vin » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:54 am

cbn70 wrote:Vin,
you might want to check with Brian before you send the clutch push rod. I sent him one and he should be getting it by Monday or Tuesday.
OK mate I'll hang fire until Brian confirms that it arrived.

jak167
- - - - -
- - - - -

#97 Post by jak167 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:53 am

Thx cbn70, didn't know you sent one. That's why I hope Brian can review the laundry list of things I sent him. I want to double-check everything to make sure we don't duplicate and everyone gets credit for their help. If he can't get to it today, I'll be faxing it to his wife tomorrow.

John
-Mark Twain

Long Live Mickey!!

cbn70

#98 Post by cbn70 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:54 am

that sounds good

jak167
- - - - -
- - - - -

#99 Post by jak167 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:18 pm

Update to All:

Well, I finally had a chance to coordinate with Brian RE the build and I have an update. I compiled a full list of all things needed to be done to complete the build, even stuff not being handled by Brian. I hope I have covered all the bases. If anyone sees that I have missed something, please let me know. I have posted the status of each part of the build as well. It's a big list, so get ready:

1) Pistons (Brian's ordering them)
2) cylinders (Brian has cylinder back)
3) inner clutch hub (Brian has it)
4) left generator cover (I have it)
5) cylinder powervalve end caps (Brian has not received yet, still need set)
6) gasket set (Brian has it)
7) balance shaft (Brian has it)
8 ) water pump seals (unknown, is this part of gasket set?)
9) clutch push rod (Brian has it)
10) oil pump gear - long shaft w washers and c-clips (Brian has it)
11) reed blocks (Brian has blocks, reeds ordered)
11) wire harness (I have Mick's in average shape, installed on frame, new one?? Do these often go bad??)
12) Zeeltronic Ignition (I have. Also have stock CDI's to scavange connectors for install)
13) powervalve (I have and installed in frame)
14) Coils & Wires (I have, in average shape, installed on frame, new ones?? Do these often go bad??)
15) Stock turn signals, headlight, taillight (I have, headlight and taillight in good condition. Turn signals are big and nasty. Any suggestions for aftermarket blinkers)
16) front fairing bracket (I have Mick's tweaked one, need new one)
17) hand controls (I have)
18 ) clip-ons (I have R6 clip-ons installed on frame)
19) gauges (Koso Rx-2 aftermarket dash ordered)
20) carbs ( I have Mick's stock ones, cleaned and reassembled, bodies in rough shape, hardware (screws) in very rough shape, I have new needles for stock needle mod, NEED new carb bodies, Brian still working to get flatsides, but haven't gotten yet)
21) Gas tank (I have it, it needs to be cleaned inside (any suggestions) and then repainted)
22) Fuel petcock (Need, suggestions?)
23) Fuel lines (Need, suggestions?)
24) Airboxes (I have, cleaned, K&N Filters cleaned and installed)
25) Oil tank (I have stock one, cleaned and ready for install. I also have handmade oil tank for mounting under seat with second seat bracket to hold tank)
26) frame, suspension, wheels, tires, brakes (frame powder-coated and assembled with R6 components front and rear. Brakes installed and bled. Tires new Michelin Pilot Sports, new rear shock Penske) (ie: rolling chassis)
27) Chains and sprocket (Mick did the R6 swingarm swap so I have wheel with rear sprocket. What do I do RE front sprocket, chain, and rear spacers??
28 ) Radiator (I have stock in average shape, new one?? Suggestions on where to get new one?)
29) thermostat (I have, suggestions for new one?)
30) Kickstarter (I have)
31) Foot controls (I have stock rearsets, pegs, shift linkage, and brake pedal. Would like to find and order aftermarket, suggestions?)
32) Pipes (Brian to make pipes)
33) Bodywork - upper, lower fairing, plus seat cowl & seat (Still need. Brian waiting to hear back from friend. Any suggestions for other sources?)

Told you it was big list. Any help, suggestions, guidance, donations RE any of the above, once again, is greatly appreciated. We are getting closer!! Brian will be giving me a ballpark date for completion of the motor. I will then get the chassis into his hands. Hopefully it will be in a few weeks, then we can start assembly. :smt045

John
-Mark Twain

Long Live Mickey!!

Vin
- - - - -
- - - - -

#100 Post by Vin » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:14 pm

Hi John,

I sold my original CDI and powervalve controller for good money on E-bay uncut!

I personally wouldn't sacrifice for the connector, I would wire the Zeel into the loom with different connectors.

Use the money that these raise for the rest of the build?

Jeff B

#101 Post by Jeff B » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:08 pm

-Chain and sprockets-
I believe a 2000 R1 front sprocket will fit the tranny shaft. I went with a aftermarket 520 chain a sprockets. The 520 r1 front sprockets are offset so you can gain some adjustability. I bought some extra sprocket lock washers to use as spacers. I had a different swingarm and wheel though so the chain offset may be different. My chain just clears a 180 tire. The r6 wheel probably came with a 530 or bigger sprocket and may require more offset. I don't remember how many teeth I went with.

Tom B

#102 Post by Tom B » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:35 am

I have a clean extra sprocket/shifter cover and some assorted o-rings etc.
I would be honored to contribute these parts and any other way I could help.

jak167
- - - - -
- - - - -

#103 Post by jak167 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:11 pm

Vin,

We used the stock connectors when we installed the zeel on Mick's rz350 and it worked great. Kept things nice and tidy. What other options did you have in mind?

Jeff B,

That's the info! Spoke with smurph who said Mick did do the 520 conversion and the rear sprocket is already installed. I didn't have any idea on which front sprocket to use. What size did you get?

Tom,

The shifter cover is great, Mick's definitely shows wear. Let's touch base since your in my area and I can get it from you.

John
-Mark Twain

Long Live Mickey!!

Starwriter

#104 Post by Starwriter » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:23 am

I have a very nice petcock that I would gladly donate to the project. The fuel hoses are with it, but they have been cut off on the ends. Maybe you can use them. Here are pics of it.

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x32 ... C00035.jpg

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x32 ... C00033.jpg

I also have some stock carbs. They are partially disassembled, and in unknown condition. Let me know if you want me to dig them out and take pics.

jak167
- - - - -
- - - - -

#105 Post by jak167 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:23 am

Starwriter,

RE the carbs, hold off for now, we're still waiting to see if Brian can secure the flat-slide carbs. If not, then I have Mick's stock carbs rebuilt and ready, but I would like to get other carb bodies and hardware (screws) Mick's were in pretty rough shape.

RE the petcock, definately, we could use it. We are getting tank redone and need a good functioning petcock. I'll PM you with my address.

John
-Mark Twain

Long Live Mickey!!