Powervalves "jiggle" when powered on, no rotation

General forum on troubleshooting electrical problems and modifications to electrical systems

Moderator: rztom

rg500delta

Powervalves "jiggle" when powered on, no rotation

#1 Post by rg500delta » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:35 am

Hi! I'm troubleshooting an RZ500- the bike was brought to me non-functional so I am not quite sure where to start. It has a new battery and is fully charged. When the key is turned on, the powervalve servomotor simply "jiggles" rapidly, without cycling. If I manually turn the valve 90 degrees while the bike is off, then turn the key on, the valve will rotate back to the resting position, and then start "jiggling" back and forth very slightly at that position. Maybe 5 or 6 small cycles per second. If I turn the power off, and back on, it will resume jiggling.

I have tried a spare powervalve control unit which produces exactly the same result. I suspect that something else is causing this- has anyone had experience with this particular malady?

I was told that the powervalve operated normally at one point in time but it is sure not working now. I thought maybe a cable was binding, so I removed the cables- and the servo still behaves in exactly the same fashion. Any help would be greatly appreciated! TIA

PS: the wiring harness has been minimized somewhat so I am not sure that all is correct, however, I was told that the servo DID work normally at one point.
"Good people are good because they've come to wisdom through failure. We get very little wisdom from success, you know."

William Saroyan

http://gallery.me.com/rg500delta#100148
http://www.rg500delta.com

hybrid
Site Admin

#2 Post by hybrid » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:59 am

My first guess would have been the controller because mine was doing a similar thing before I put the Zeeltronic on mine.

The servo motor has a positioning setup in it so that the controller knows what position the servo is at. Maybe that is faulty in the servo.

zing

#3 Post by zing » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:29 am

Mine was doing strange things too until I jiggled the connector to the YPVS servo motor,turns out the contacts were somewhat corroded.Try using contact cleaner and a small needle file to clean contact surfaces.
Good luck!
Zing