Odometer Light

General forum on troubleshooting electrical problems and modifications to electrical systems

Moderator: rztom

Squirrel

Odometer Light

#1 Post by Squirrel » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:48 pm

Hello all. I am doing a frame off resto mod on a friend of mines 85 RZ500. I started taking the clocks apart to paint the brackets and give it a good clean when my heart stopped as the odometer light clip broke. I think I can save the little clip but have no idea where to look for the little blue bulb in side.

Any suggestions?

(Could some also tell me where to find a Parts Micro Fiche)

Jeff

smurph
- - - - -
- - - - -

#2 Post by smurph » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:34 am

Squirrel,

That is not a light. It's a reed switch that operates the turn signal speed canceling feature. It works in conjunction with the speedometer, which has a flying magnet. The faster that magnet spins, the more force it exerts on the spring loaded speed needle and reed switch. Eventually, the magnetic force overcomes the reed switch's tension and the circuit is switched.

Where to get the switch? Well... you can eBay a used RZ500 cluster. Or you can go for a cluster from another bike that has similar gauges. FZ600, FZ750, etc... Make sure you get the wiring harness with the gauges because that reed switch is actually part of that harness. Then you will have the challenge of taking that switch out and connecting it in the RZ gauge and connecting it to the RZ wiring harness. Be careful because they are brittle, as you found out.

Or, just don't replace it and manually cancel the turn signals. On bikes this old, they tend to quit working properly anyway. I bought a set of FZ600 gauges and tried getting mine working again, but it only works half the time now. One day, I might luck up and figure a source for a reed switch that I can just solder in.

Steve
Fuel Injected RZ350

rztom
Site Admin

#3 Post by rztom » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:09 am

Hey Squirrel - welcome to the group! :cool:

Guillaume

#4 Post by Guillaume » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:02 pm

welcome :grin:

Squirrel

#5 Post by Squirrel » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:24 am

Thanks for the insight. I have found a replacement for the read switch (thanks to an electronics engineer buddy of mine). The manufacture is sending a 10 pack samples, so if any one else needs one let me know.

smurph
- - - - -
- - - - -

#6 Post by smurph » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:48 pm

The problem with the reed switches are not only finding one that has the correct physical dimensions, but also one that has the right tension on the reeds. It has to work correctly with the magnetic forces at play in the speedometer. Too sensitive and you will cancel the signal too soon. Not sensitive enough and you will never cancel the signals.

So please let us know if your new reed switches work. I'd love to replace mine.

Steve
Fuel Injected RZ350