Rd 500 Balance shaft.

General forum on engines, transmissions, gearing and modifications to each

Moderator: rztom

Neil

Rd 500 Balance shaft.

#1 Post by Neil » Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:16 pm

Could any one tell me how to get the big bearing off the balance shaft.
Also the top two pistons have windows in the skirts as per workshop manual.The bloke that was going to do the rebore tells me that the pistons can be solid.Is he crazy or what,has anyone heard of this.
The history of my bike is that the reed block bolts have vibrated out twice on the upper two cylinders.Has anyone had this happen.

the doctor

#2 Post by the doctor » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:28 pm

Hi Neil, I have removed lots of bearings that you cannot get behind them by dismantling them, that is if you aren't saving them. Using a cutting wheel, cut the outer race off and remove the cage and balls, then very carefully, cut through the inner race just enough until the pressure from the press fit splits the race and it will fall off.
People do use aftermarket windowless pistons in the uppers but usually only because its a last resort to scrapping worn out oversize cylinders. If you can use a factory yamaha oversize, than use it because the upper crank runs backward ( even though it turns the same direction as the lower) and the pin offset is designed for that,, not so on aftermarket pistons, so more load is transfered to a thinner skirt on the intake side of the cylinder.
I personally haven't had any bolts come loose but it would seem that excessive vibration is apparent so make sure you check everything, including the cranks. Was the tear down a seizure or just worn out? If it seized, than really have a good look and make sure the rod didn't bend.
when someone says "I think your bike is on fire" just nod, wave, and wheelie away!! 2 STROKES FOREVER

rztom
Site Admin

#3 Post by rztom » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:02 pm

Hey Neil - welcome to the group..!! :cool:

monoboy

#4 Post by monoboy » Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:38 am

hi NEIL
I make sure every time i pull down something,all fasteners are cleaned,
then re torqued with just a drop of loctite.have never had a nut or bolt
come loose.

Gareth

#5 Post by Gareth » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:16 am

Hey Doctorman..no good just cutting it off..I'm assuming he wants to replace the balancer shaft bearing - which would involve removing the gear. There is some sort of rubber damping on that gear too...no idea how to get it off...never tried.

Never heard of read block bolts undoing....really weird....just cant be the right bolts or they are not done up properly.

Cheaper replacement pistons do not have the windows...only Yamaha OEM pistons have windows and they are only available upto 0.5 O/s....I would use OEM if you can....more expensive...but motor will be quieter. The non-windowed pistons work fine...cant see any performance differences.

Neil

Balance shaft again

#6 Post by Neil » Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:46 pm

Thanks to everyone who replied.Yes I want to replace the bearing with another so need to get it off and back on again.The little one is visibly worn and comes off easily the big one has a bit of slack too.
The Bike was bought privately with reciepts from Armstrong Engineering in Newcasle stating that they had done a total rebuild to the cost of just over a grand.
The first time the bolts came out the pistons burnt holes.This was just after I ran it in.When I stripped it one pair of pistons were at 0.5 and the other two 1mm.I assumed this had been the vibration problem.The bike was now in Gran Canaria and nobody here could do the cranks,so I took achance and rebored the cylinders.Just after running it in the same thing happened again .This time i grabbed the clutch a bit quicker and the bike partially siezed.I decided to do the full rebuild this time.The cranks have been done by some body in or near Liverpool.I am going to do the rebores next summer.The bike partially siesed just as the copper earth strip sheared ,if this did not happen I think it could have been much worse as the needle was off the clock.I am pesiveering with the bike because I had one before which was perfect and never gave a moments trouble.I just want to get everything right this time.Obviously the balance shaft is important.To sum up I think Armstrong just rebored two cylinders to get it going and charged for a full rebuild.I did ring them at the time but there was some story that his son had done that job and to bring the bike back.So yes the pistons this time will be 1.5 hence the solid pistons.

Grumpy

Balance shaft

#7 Post by Grumpy » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:53 am

Theres a balance shaft complete for sale on E-bay motors ath the moment from a guy called "rz500parts" in Canada.
The older I get, the faster I was!

Bikes:
RZV500R
RD350LC (x2)
KH500
RD350N2
CB500/4 K1
CB400/4 F1
Ducati Monster 1100