any limited edition RD/RZ/RZVs?

General forum on fairings, seats, tanks, tail sections, painting and other bodywork modifications

Moderator: rztom

TZMike

any limited edition RD/RZ/RZVs?

#1 Post by TZMike » Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:43 pm

wondering if anyone knows if Yamaha released any special race replicas of the RD/RZ/RZV? talking with a friend he seems to remember seeing a Lucky Strike RZ which was said to be limited release from Yamaha. think he said Australia or New Zealand. but no pics. anyone???

Mike

rd84
- - - - -
- - - - -

Re: any limited edition RD/RZ/RZVs?

#2 Post by rd84 » Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:30 pm

Hi Mike,

I'm not aware of any factory specials - however the importers in the UK
Mitsui-Yamaha did try racing them in Formula 1 (An early version of Superbikes) - they eventually used a frame made by Harris and I think they used cylinders from one of the YZR motocrossers of the time - apparently they couldn't get any reliable power out of the standard engine - nor could they make the original chassis handle very well. :sad:
(A familiar theme on this forum sadly !!!)

Regards
Paul
TZMike wrote:wondering if anyone knows if Yamaha released any special race replicas of the RD/RZ/RZV? talking with a friend he seems to remember seeing a Lucky Strike RZ which was said to be limited release from Yamaha. think he said Australia or New Zealand. but no pics. anyone???

Mike

TZMike

#3 Post by TZMike » Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:37 pm

interesting. I was actually thinking only of cosmetic replicas. Remember the small run of Skoal Bandit RG500s in UK? but that was not a factory release either.

Mike

rd84
- - - - -
- - - - -

#4 Post by rd84 » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:09 pm

Hi Mike,

Cosmetic ones I'm aware of are the Marlboro' reps in the UK painted for Mitsui-Yamaha by Dream Machine and the Gauloise reps in France - not sure who painted those tho'. - my understanding is that Yamaha didn't send any of these bikes out painted in the race rep colours - they were painted locally by the importer. - so not factory colours - but official Yamaha importer colours

Regards
Paul
TZMike wrote:interesting. I was actually thinking only of cosmetic replicas. Remember the small run of Skoal Bandit RG500s in UK? but that was not a factory release either.

Mike