Shocked

All former posts from our original WWWBoard forum are here

Moderators: smurph, rztom

matt

Shocked

#1 Post by matt » Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:07 pm

Does anyone know what model and year shock from another bike will work on the 500 with the least amount of mods ? I know it's been posted before but I can't find it , that maybe a honda shock will work but needs a different spring ? if anyone has tried something else let me know or e-mail me ... thanks
<br>
<br><hr size=3 width=75%><p>

creswell5@cableone.net

Anthony in Perth

Re: Shocked

#2 Post by Anthony in Perth » Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:49 am

CBR600F4, but I have also heard that you may as well pay the extra for a new aftermarket shock. After buying the honda shock you will have to respring it at the least and if you want a good ride you will have to revalve it as well (especially on a second hand one). Anthony Dodd
<br>

anthonydodd500@yahoo.com.au

Bill in PA

#3 Post by Bill in PA » Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:14 am

I concur with Anthony. Shocks from other bikes will not fit without some modification to one or the other end connection, are always the wrong spring rate (by a large margin) and are usually the wrong stroke which can limit rear wheel travel. The CBR600 shocks have been promoted as candidates many times and have been installed a few times. I would not bother with a stock CBR shock.<p>I was lucky to find a FOX clicker shock designed for one of the CBR's and went to the trouble of changing the banana lever on the RZ to accept it, respringing it, and living with a little bit less stroke. It was enough trouble that I would recommend the purchase of a shock designed for the RZ. I would never exert that much effort for a bone stock CBR shock. The shock shock ain't worth it. I would choose Wilbers over Ohlin's simply because Ohlin's seems to have a screwy notion of providing a spring that is way too soft. Given the girth of us 40+ age riders, I'd stick with 950 lb/in or above in order to set the rear sag correctly.
<br>

rzbill@hotmail.com

Rob

#4 Post by Rob » Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:29 pm

I almost tried it, but it was definitely not worth it - it is the CBR600F3 shock that is the best candidate and they are dime a dozen - I bought one and started working on what I would need to do to make it work, now I own a penske!<p>It is so close to the same cost as a good new aftermarket shock, that it is just not worth it. First you have to get the shock - probably 50 bucks total shipped to your house, then you have to send it out and have it revalved and a 950lb spring put on it - this can run you 3-400 just to do this alone. Then you need to buy a ride height adjuster to make up the slight length difference and give you some adjustability - these are 200 bucks alone. <p>So all said and done you have spent 5-700 bucks and still have a shitty cbr600f3 shock with not much adjustment - not to mention that you had to drill out the mount holes as it is a slightly larger bolt and now you can't go back without buying new mounting arms or spending time and money fixing the ones you drilled out. <p>So in the end you can have all that problem or spend 650-700 on an Ohlins, Penske or Technoflex and have an awesome shock for the rest of your life. They are really really really hard to find used, but if you can, and on a budget that would be the way to go.<p>Rob
<br>

roadkillrobert@yahoo.com

Lordie

#5 Post by Lordie » Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:12 am

Is there any way to rebuild the original shock???<br>I need to get a bit more back end hight due to using 17in rims.
<br>

andrew.lord@vacon.co.uk

Rob

#6 Post by Rob » Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:20 am

I am not sure if anyone can rebuild those old items, but to fix your ride height you will still need a ride height adjuster.<p>http://www.adjustmenttech.com/<p>Rob
<br>

roadkillrobert@yahoo.com

Lordie

#7 Post by Lordie » Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:29 am

I've heard about these 'ride height adjusters' but where do they fit onto the shock. Here in the UK not many people have any info on the RZV's. Thanks for your reply.
<br>

andrew.lord@vacon.co.uk

Rob

#8 Post by Rob » Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:56 am

Basically they just bolt to the end of the shock and the mount where the shock used to bolt to and then offers some adjustment - the website I sent makes them specifically for rz/rzv's, but there are about $200 which is a lot of money since you can get a shock with it built in brand new for $600 total and a rebuild will cost you probably most of the $400 difference.<p>Rob<p>
<br>

roadkillrobert@yahoo.com