The Burning Question...?

General forum on engines, transmissions, gearing and modifications to each

Moderator: rztom

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

Re: The Burning Question...?

#61 Post by Smoker » Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:12 am

I was thinking those Jolly Moto pipes might be for sale, soon.

I don't have a pipe simulator program. Won't pipes made for a stock engine rob your 100hp engine mods of considerable power?

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#62 Post by Smoker » Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:31 am

RZ 500 N

#63 Post by RZ 500 N » Tue Dec 19, 2023 2:41 am

In the beginning of this topic, the RG 500 Gamma was mentioned as to be so much better than the RZ, but what hasn't been mentioned, is the RG's transmission issues, and was why I stayed away from them.
Richard

Jeff B

#64 Post by Jeff B » Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:06 pm

lucky mike wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:07 pm Hello Jeff,

You're absolutely right, Sir! I fitted those pipes approximately nine years ago. However, don't let the image deceive you. While they may appear pristine in the photos, the reality is vastly different. The relentless battle against surface rust has proven to be quite the challenge. After much deliberation, I've reluctantly come to the decision to have them ceramic coated as part of this ongoing build. It pains me to think about losing the visual charm of those exquisite welds that truly make these pipes a work of art. Yet, the persistent onslaught of surface rust has taken a toll on their overall appearance, and I believe the ceramic coating is a necessary evil to preserve their integrity.
It truly breaks my heart, but it needs to be done.
I have Jolly Moto's as well. I know how you feel. Mine need a surface treatment as well.

Jeff B

#65 Post by Jeff B » Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:14 pm

Smoker wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:12 am I was thinking those Jolly Moto pipes might be for sale, soon.

I don't have a pipe simulator program. Won't pipes made for a stock engine rob your 100hp engine mods of considerable power?
I think it depends on your definition of considerable. Keep in mind the space restrictions you'd run into with full custom pipes probably would never allow you to run optimal 100hp dimensions (assuming you still plan to carve corners with it).

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#66 Post by Smoker » Tue Dec 19, 2023 2:37 pm

Jeff B wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:14 pm I think it depends on your definition of considerable. Keep in mind the space restrictions you'd run into with full custom pipes probably would never allow you to run optimal 100hp dimensions (assuming you still plan to carve corners with it).
Yeah, for sure the stock bike is a challenge for custom pipes. Mostly speaking about the rear pipes, though.

My definition of "considerable" would be based on the pipe simulation numbers.

I think the front pipe bellies are the only consideration, for cornering. I have noticed that Yamaha GP bikes did make flat spots on their lower pipes for cornering clearance. Appears that larger bellies with flat spots make more power than smaller diameter bellies.

Wish I had the numbers, but on my last 2 sets of custom pipes, the stinger diameter did have a "significant" effect on power. Went up to 1 1/4" on a built RZ350 engine. It was also suggested to me that for best results, its good to use a nozzle, or insert, at the stinger opening to alter the diameter for tuning.

On projects like this, I don't like to think money is an issue. But, it always is. And time. Would take a lot of both for custom pipes. Lacking a simulator, I'd be tempted to talk to BT. Good guy. Just keep in mind, he's a pipe maker. :smt003

giron
- - - - -
- - - - -

#67 Post by giron » Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:27 pm

A previous posting mentions how I think the RG500 is better than the RZ500. I own a RZV500 and a Walter Wolf RG500. I like both bikes since they are both 2 strokes. There are definitely differences between them when it comes to the power band. I also included a couple of links on the Tranny issue with the RG500

http://www.t.rg500delta.com/rg_tech_pag ... guide.html

http://www.t.rg500delta.com/rg_tech_pag ... 0RG500.PDF

A previous posting mentions how I think the RG500 is better than the RZ500. I own a RZV500 and a Walter Wolf RG500. I like both bikes since they are both 2 strokes. There are definitely differences between them when it comes to the power band. I also included a couple of links on the Tranny issue with the RG500

On a previous posting it was posted where I don't contribute anything to this site. I posted what I found a solution in removing the gas tank with out leaking. I forgot to mention the aftermarket oil tank under the seat just like on the RG500. When my wife was alive on her yearly trip to Japan. I asked her to bring back an aftermarket oil tank that fits under the seat for the RZ500. I send the oil tank to RGVSteve where he made them. Some of you bought the oil tank from Steve. I have the original here in the garage.
I believe this tank is a major improvement on the RZ since in case the bike gets drop and the oil tank is damage since it has no protection while the RG500 sits with in the frame under the seat.
1985 RG500(Walter Wolfe)
1984 IT490
1985 RZV500R
1997 VFR750
1992 FZR1000
RGV500
TZR500
TZR350
1990 RZ350
1971 Porsche911S

lucky mike

#68 Post by lucky mike » Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:05 am

Greetings, gentlemen. I've had the pleasure of engaging in extensive conversations with Andrew Jones of ATR, and I must say, my initial impressions of him are nothing short of impressive. Andrew emerges as a technical virtuoso of the highest caliber, and what strikes me even more is his remarkably modest and humble personality. His accomplished background as a builder and tuner, coupled with his personal triumphs in the racing world as a rider, adds layers of credibility to our discussions.

As we delve into the details of my project, Andrew not only showcases a keen understanding but also exudes a genuine comfort with the criteria I've outlined for the build. Our upcoming conversation holds the prospect of exploring the feasibility of integrating my current exhaust into the new engine—a topic that adds an intriguing dimension to the evolving narrative of our collaboration.

While a finalized agreement may be down the road, the positive trajectory of our discussions instills confidence in the potential success of this exciting venture.

I would also like to express my gratitude to the forum members for their valuable and insightful information generously provided thus far. This forum proves to be an indispensable wealth of knowledge, enriched by the expertise and experiences of some very talented individuals who graciously share their insights into the realm of these two-wheeled, four-cylinder, fire-breathing teenage time machines.

to be continued...

Jeff B

#69 Post by Jeff B » Wed Dec 20, 2023 12:19 pm

Smoker wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 2:37 pm
Yeah, for sure the stock bike is a challenge for custom pipes. Mostly speaking about the rear pipes, though.

My definition of "considerable" would be based on the pipe simulation numbers.

I think the front pipe bellies are the only consideration, for cornering. I have noticed that Yamaha GP bikes did make flat spots on their lower pipes for cornering clearance. Appears that larger bellies with flat spots make more power than smaller diameter bellies.

Wish I had the numbers, but on my last 2 sets of custom pipes, the stinger diameter did have a "significant" effect on power. Went up to 1 1/4" on a built RZ350 engine. It was also suggested to me that for best results, its good to use a nozzle, or insert, at the stinger opening to alter the diameter for tuning.

On projects like this, I don't like to think money is an issue. But, it always is. And time. Would take a lot of both for custom pipes. Lacking a simulator, I'd be tempted to talk to BT. Good guy. Just keep in mind, he's a pipe maker. :smt003
How much does the stinger diameter affect the midrange?

Maybe modifying my Jolly Moto's for interchangeable stingers should be added to my to do list?

tacky1

#70 Post by tacky1 » Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:25 pm

RZ 500 N wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 2:41 am In the beginning of this topic, the RG 500 Gamma was mentioned as to be so much better than the RZ, but what hasn't been mentioned, is the RG's transmission issues, and was why I stayed away from them.
Ive never had gear probs with any of the 500s Ive owned over the years, not one, I gave them a lot of abuse years ago, Bit gentler on them now, Ive had friends that had them as well and zero probs,
But they were known for second gear failures, But I believe that was the first year bikes and they beefed up the gears for the second year bike..
1985 RZv500
1984 RZ500 Hybrid
1986 RG500 Walter Wolf
1986 RG500 Skoal Bandit
1984 RZ350
1984 RZ350 Hybrid
1981 RD350LC
1981 RD350LC Hybrid
2009 CR500AF Supermoto 250X
2007 CR500AF 250X
1988 YSR50 (2)
1989 VFR750R RC30
1984 GPZ750 Turbo

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#71 Post by Smoker » Wed Dec 20, 2023 3:47 pm

Jeff B wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 12:19 pm How much does the stinger diameter affect the midrange?

Maybe modifying my Jolly Moto's for interchangeable stingers should be added to my to do list?
I can't make an accurate guess. I wish I had a good engine+pipe simulator. I'd be happy to crunch the Jolly Moto specs for you.

My feeble understanding is that the stinger tubing can be the largest (potential) diameter. Only the (interchangeable) nozzle inside diameter, placed at the introitus(!) of the stinger needs to have the diameter tuned.

The builder/racer that fabricated the pipes made a pretty big deal about the issue. He was using complex simulation programs, along with significant track experience- which I trust more than theory, but less than dyno testing.

Not sure, but I think most 2-stroke factory race bikes use a header cross-over design. I've also seen RZV500 cross-over street pipes in Japan. Definitely not just for looks.

lucky mike

#72 Post by lucky mike » Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:19 am

Greetings Gentlemen.

I would like to share with you to a supplier here in North America that stands out as one of the most complete and comprehensive sources I've encountered. This remarkable provider has become a game-changer for my motorcycle refurbishing ventures. What truly sets them apart is their unparalleled efficiency—my orders are consistently picked and shipped on the same day, seamlessly arriving at my doorstep the following day. This level of promptness transforms this supplier into an indispensable resource for anyone delving into the intricate task of refurbishing a motorcycle. Their commitment to swift service, combined with a comprehensive range of offerings, has not only expedited my projects but has also elevated the overall efficiency and success of my motorcycle refurbishing endeavors.
I make this recommendation as a very satisfied customer, and have no vested interest in sharing this information with you.

https://www.mcmaster.com/

Jeff B

#73 Post by Jeff B » Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:13 pm

Smoker wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 3:47 pm

Not sure, but I think most 2-stroke factory race bikes use a header cross-over design. I've also seen RZV500 cross-over street pipes in Japan. Definitely not just for looks.
Got any pictures of this. I haven't seen this before.

silverstrom
- - - - -
- - - - -

#74 Post by silverstrom » Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:44 pm

lucky mike wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:19 am Greetings Gentlemen.

I would like to share with you to a supplier here in North America that stands out as one of the most complete and comprehensive sources I've encountered. This remarkable provider has become a game-changer for my motorcycle refurbishing ventures. What truly sets them apart is their unparalleled efficiency—my orders are consistently picked and shipped on the same day, seamlessly arriving at my doorstep the following day. This level of promptness transforms this supplier into an indispensable resource for anyone delving into the intricate task of refurbishing a motorcycle. Their commitment to swift service, combined with a comprehensive range of offerings, has not only expedited my projects but has also elevated the overall efficiency and success of my motorcycle refurbishing endeavors.
I make this recommendation as a very satisfied customer, and have no vested interest in sharing this information with you.

https://www.mcmaster.com/
Yes, lots of great stuff available. Unfortunately they do not ship to residential addresses in Canada. Only businesses and schools.

lucky mike

#75 Post by lucky mike » Fri Dec 22, 2023 7:50 pm

Greetings, gentlemen.
I've just completed a comprehensive overhaul of every component in my bike's braking system, replacing each rubber seal and caliper piston with new parts from the master cylinders on down to the bleed valves. I'm now contemplating filling the revamped system with DOT5 fluid to ensure optimal functionality. Before proceeding, I'm curious if any fellow forum members have encountered any issues with DOT5. While my research has yielded predominantly positive feedback reading across various pages, I'm hesitant about reusing DOT3, especially considering the likelihood that this bike will not be ridden frequently. The arduous process of cleaning crystallized DOT3 fluid from the caliper bores and seal seats is something I wish to soon forget, and completely avoid in the future. As always, I greatly appreciate the insights and experiences you generously share.