pick up gap

General forum on troubleshooting electrical problems and modifications to electrical systems

Moderator: rztom

franco

pick up gap

#1 Post by franco » Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:58 am

Hi guys.

Please tell me how to check measurement and eventually reduce pick up gap from rotor assy.
I have rigged outer case down and from what i see, i cannot imagine a method of checking gap, being stator and rotor apart.
Nor how to eventually reduce the gap, as its two screws does not seem to hide any chance of change in geometry.

Thanks.

steveho

Re: pick up gap

#2 Post by steveho » Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:36 pm

From memory, I removed the dowels securing the outer cover which then allowed some vertical movement. Adding a piece of plastic shim to the flywheel over the raised triggers, thus allows an estimate of the radial clearance.
Re. Reducing the gap, I ground down one of the locating ‘dimples’ on one of the mounting holes on the pick-up and slotted the hole. This allowed the pickup to swivel around the other locating hole. I put a piece of plastic shim of the clearance that I was shooting for on the flywheel, adjacent to, and over one of the raised triggers (like a ramp). With the pick-up screws lightly tightened, turning the engine over causes the pick-up to be displaced to the thickness of the shim, and hence the new clearance. Then tighten the pick-up screws fully.
I am sure there are other ways, but this is what I did!

Motolli

#3 Post by Motolli » Sat Jun 17, 2023 2:36 am

This i posted some weeks ago concerning gap adjustment:
Another simple thing is to measure the pickup gap. 1. Measure the diameter of the rotor between the two pickup surfaces. Devide by two- that’s no.1 to note.
Then measure the diameter of the stator . These core segments are turned precisely to a fine diameter. Devide by 2 and note. Then measure the gap X between the pickup and the stator . Add this to note 2, this is note3.
The difference of note 3 and note 1 is your gap.

To adjust to 0.5-0.7 just bend carefully the ears of the pickup.
Control by measuring again the gap X and recalculate.

I did it within 15 min. Incl. assembly times of covers.

Be careful not to adjust gap too small <0.5 . The rotor will grow some tenths mm at 11000 revs ;-)

franco

#4 Post by franco » Sun Jun 18, 2023 12:00 pm

First thing, thanks a lot to motolli and steveho.
Second, when i went into it in order to get measurements, i looked closer and noticed shiny stripes on both bumps on the rotor, shiny in the sense of rotation. I took measurements and gap is... 0,15 mm.
So, it was not too much, but too thin. So much that while revving hot engine, bumps and pick up slightly touch one another.

My root problem is that I cannot obtain spark in neither bank. I put plug on bolts, and by kicking i can see from zero to faint orange spark. If I take plug and cap away, putting cable end on a nut, I can see a very weak blue spark. In the last two months I went from firing bike up within 3 kicks, and in 60 days up and up to ten kicks needed. Whatever plugs type, grade and state. Both banks. Hence my suspects on pick up gap, having read stories about good improvements by lowering to 0,5 mm.

Now I see it is 0,15. I am puzzled. Of course now I have to try and raise it.

Question. Is it worth a try buying a new pick up, say from Zeel? By the way, I was happily running on zeeltronic pdci24 since years.

Motolli

#5 Post by Motolli » Mon Jun 19, 2023 1:16 pm

Before buying a zeel, measure the resistance of the pickup coil, and the ignition coils. Also the stator coils. Then check the ignition cable for rotten copper wire where they're plugged into the coils and the plug cap. Last but not least check your kill switch. It might also help to install a separate grounding connection wire between the frame and engine. Simple things.
Anyway, the zeel is a great tool to program ignition and power valve in order to fine tune the engine. Especially to smoothen low rev and low throttle stumbling.
Olli