"Off-topic" forum for general BS - spout off here

Moderator: rztom

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

Re: Custom Motorcycle Welding School

#181 Post by Smoker » Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:03 am

Luther :smt006

Went to welding shop last night, and getting ready to leave for class, now. Will post up some pics later today.

Been working on a different kind of project, lately. It does have 2 wheels, and a motor. :smt003

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#182 Post by Smoker » Sat May 06, 2023 3:28 am

Sorry for the delay. Went to welding shop tonight. Met a young guy that does CNC drawings and machining. Hope it leads to getting more cool parts.

Did some tig weaving with aluminum and bronze. None of this stuff is cleaned up.

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#183 Post by Smoker » Sat May 06, 2023 10:48 am

Actual project I'm working on.

Designed a lift (pad) for my new machine. Will lock onto the scissor jack and lift from the swingarm pivot holes. Need to weld on some angle aluminum, and make the bolt-on uprights. Need to make cut-outs for those bolts. Waiting for more materials to arrive.

Never tried to lay down beads longer than about 6 inches. Also have very little experience with 1/8 inch anything. Was worried about warpage, so did the first bead in about 4 sections. Second bead, I went about 3/4 of the way and lost sight of the joint. Stayed on the line, though. Learning all the time. Next long welds will be better.

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#184 Post by Smoker » Thu May 18, 2023 6:23 am

Dammit! Been so carried away with the e-bike project, I still haven't got the raw material for the bike lift.

Got a little tired of practice beads. Decided to try to make a fuel tank, just with hand tools and measurements. Probably won't even get completed, and for sure will look a mess- but might give me some insight for designing a good one to CNC and have pro welded.

Only cut 2 pieces, haven't even fired up the torch yet, and already found an error. The sharp angle in the pic is correct to the drawing. The problem is, the second the torch touches that edge, probably 1/16 inch will disappear. On a sharp angle like this, I should have left about 1/16 inch, instead of the sharp edge. The edge is sharper than it looks in the pic. I'll try to use it, and see what happens.