Recent AHRMA race weekend and crash on the TZ

For those who love to "take it to the track!"

Moderator: rztom

rz500guytexas

Recent AHRMA race weekend and crash on the TZ

#1 Post by rz500guytexas » Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:36 am

Well it finally happened after years of track time. Low side is a low side but not so lucky this time. Weather became colder as weekend went on. Sunday was the coldest. Several thing ended up happening for the perfect storm. Friday practice went out late. Saturday race was a blast but my AlpinestarTech 10 air bag started acting up. Sunday early morn the power went off and my trailer was freezing. That also meant the suit was not charging. Well Sunday they were planning gettin 3 races in before lunch. I was in a rush and with colder weater i kept the bike in the trailer to get tires heated. The never really got to the optimum temperature which really did not matter seeing how cold the track was. We were third wave so sat for a while. 3 corners in high sided. The air bag did not deploy. I explain all in the second video but that race is off my list with colder temperatures alway possible. Thanks to Rory the Bridgestone rep and his wife Joann who was on holiday from Ireland. I could of never loaded the bikes and trailer. I bailed and two days later was home. Had xrays done and nothing broken. I am better every day with groin are still hurting. If air bag would have deployed would have been nothing more than a bruised left pinky. And that is the Taichi gloves because they do not sew the pinky finger to the next finger like Alpinestar. The pretty paint job is no longer pretty, radiator is shot, and some right clip on and control work will be needed. Suit decided to work when back home. Back in pool two days a week and on bike again with no real pain doing either. One of my buddies started in with told you so. I cut him short and reminded him it is safer than the street and 10 years with no hard crashes is pretty good. It was my fault anyway for going out in cold weather. Track days always wait for warmer weather.

Saturday race https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zTyLquP_aI

Sunday crash https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Zw8uCmHrVk

smokamoto

Re: Recent AHRMA race weekend and crash on the TZ

#2 Post by smokamoto » Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:39 pm

Glad you’re ok, live to ride another day!

kpke

#3 Post by kpke » Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:31 am

Thanks for sharing the videos. Sorry to see the crash and the aftermath. Heal up quick Paul.
Ken's Garage YouTube Channel :smt023
https://www.youtube.com/c/KensGarage1

1985 RZ500 (R6 suspension & body work)

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#4 Post by Smoker » Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:48 pm

Hope you're back on the track soon.

Keep living life to it's fullest, brother!👍

rz500guytexas

#5 Post by rz500guytexas » Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:31 pm

First race the rock in the camera and then that. As I said should of stayed in as cool as it was. I heard the lap times in practice and figured it was good. I know better now. Been swimming and took bike out once but think I will take off a few extra days. Tore the bike apart Friday. All came apart easy so back to painting her again.

steveho

#6 Post by steveho » Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:24 am

Excellent vids! Glad you seem to be on-the-mend! These things happen when you are an adrenaline junky! Keep doing what you enjoy.
You are pretty good on the brakes I see. Top work. :smt023 :smt023

rz500guytexas

#7 Post by rz500guytexas » Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:17 pm

Still upset with air bag. As said buying a second at the GP race in Austin. Early Friday purchase, watch some practice, and home late afternoon. I am OK on the brakes and could be better. I adjusted front preload the entire weekend to get more travel in the forks. Was finally at around 20mm but never had a chance to see where it settled on Sunday. That little bike is always telling me is that all I have got. I am getting better on the rear suspension rebound. If the rear wheel gets sketchy under hard braking I will tweak it a bit to keep wheel on the ground. Fun on the brakes to me is in the rain. Track days are a hoot when other rider are using street touring tires and I am on full rains. They work so so well. Not had a chance to really run rains on the TZ. The 500 is so much heavier that it is easier to ride I believe. Thanks for watching. I am way better after two weeks and will continue in pool and on the bike.