Zeeltronic PCDI-24V or PDCI-24V

General forum on troubleshooting electrical problems and modifications to electrical systems

Moderator: rztom

Almac

Zeeltronic PCDI-24V or PDCI-24V

#1 Post by Almac » Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:51 pm

Looks like my CDi is goosed and was going to go down the Zeeltronics route.

For those that run the zeel, any opinions, pro’s & con’s, for running either the CDi or DCi version.

I get the CDi still uses the source coil for power so bike can still be started with a dead battery but wondering if there’s some benefits to running the powered version.

Any info would be much appreciated, as always.

steveho

Re: Zeeltronic PCDI-24V or PDCI-24V

#2 Post by steveho » Sat Apr 02, 2022 1:21 pm

Good question…

Firstly, the Zeel is a great product.

I am also interested in the pros and cons as currently have the PCDI version but if the DC version offers advantages, then maybe an upgrade opportunity.

Hope any info gives you a good decision.

Rgds, Steve.

MK

#3 Post by MK » Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:31 am

I always prefer the DC type ignitions (= the PDCI).

Mainly for the reason that it'll eliminate the need for source coils or a stator at all (can be run in total loss configuration )

And there are people who run DC CDI's without battery using a big capacitor. In this case you'll need to "charge" the capacitor by a few rotations of the engine.
Ignitech offers a special parameter controlling the first n rotations to have no spark (i.e. put the full stator output to the capacitor).

I'm not 100% sure about the Zeel if it'd start with an empty battery.
Keep in mind that if you kick to start, the stator will already produce some 12V'ish output that is drawn by the battery & lights.
It'll start, if you reach around 8V at the CDI input voltage.
That is pretty low, so there's good chance.
Bye
Martin

Almac

#4 Post by Almac » Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:38 pm

Thanks Martin.

Yes, I see your argument for not running a source coil. I suppose with the age of these parts it’s another weak link to retain in the charging system after updating to a modern ignition unit.

I’ll probably get the PDCi version.

Thanks again 👍

MK

#5 Post by MK » Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:47 pm

On the 350 the source coils fail regularly.
That's where I got that habit.
On the 500 I haven't heard of a case, but that may be related to the much lower number of bikes around.

My 350 race bike runs total loss - a 4200 mAh LiFePo battery is good for around 1 - 1.5 h of riding time.

I even run my Pitbike with the same system to have an adjustable advance and features like a shift light.
If the bike is to be sold, I can re-program it for further usage on a RD.
Bye
Martin