Front suspension

General forum on frames, brakes, suspension, wheels and tires

Moderator: rztom

Ange

Front suspension

#1 Post by Ange » Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:16 am

Hi guys I’m looking at re doing my front suspension and was wondering if there is a step by step guide on disassembly and reassemble. Thanks

bokusouchi

Re: Front suspension

#2 Post by bokusouchi » Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:21 pm

I would say , just follow the steps in the workshop manual .
beware RZV500R and RZ500/RD500 forks are different . So follow the proper workshop .

The inner fork bushing is not sold by Yamaha .
here is one that fits :
SKTE37S sold by Inteck USA (it's manufactured by SKF in fact ) : 38 mm outside diameter , 36 mm inside diameter , 1mm thickness , 20 mm long ..
https://www.innteck-usa.com/products/fo ... ctID=22897

do you plan to dismantle/refurbish the anti-dive units ?
The workshop manual says , that they are not serviceable . However they can be serviced (with some care ) ,
As they tend to get stuck with age .
I have just done mines , ask , if you plan to do it .
For anti-dive , it is possible to use some parts (refurbishment kits) from https://gpzzone.com/
they are for Kawasaki gpz900 but some internals are compatibles with Yamaha anti-dives (they are KYB anyway )
(seals , springs , etc ).

Ange

#3 Post by Ange » Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:44 pm

Thanks for your help i was planning on te doing the forks because when I push the bike around the garage and pull up and push down on the forks there is about 30 mm play where when I pull up the forks extend by 30 mm and stay there and then when I push there’s a sudden drop of about 30 mm. Now I was told that is normal does that sound right to you. Thanks.

bokusouchi

#4 Post by bokusouchi » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:10 am

after rebuild ( new seals , new bushes , new oil , refurbished anti-dive ) (same springs )
the sag is about 15/20 mm .
I also heard that this is normal .
after rebuild , the most obvious difference is the anti-dive . the fork will be much harder when holding the brake lever .
(before , it was "hard" all the time (no difference ) )
also , it seems that there is less stiction .