Aftermarket CDI in Japan?

Sub forum for RG400/RG500 owners and enthusiasts

Moderator: rztom

tonyhes

Aftermarket CDI in Japan?

#1 Post by tonyhes » Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:08 pm

Thought this is amusing....

No idea if this will work, trying to pass this into a translator..

https://translate.google.com/translate? ... a-001.html

http://www.mega-speed.info/mega-denshi/ ... a-001.html

MK

Re: Aftermarket CDI in Japan?

#2 Post by MK » Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:36 pm

I love that pseudo scientific arguments like "the capacitor is charged 3 times instead of 2 times".

An Ignitech or Zeeltronic will do a much better job as it's programmable and also controls the AEC.

The only plus side is that it somehow looks like a plug and play replacement for the stock box.
Bye
Martin

kanuckRG

Re: Aftermarket CDI in Japan?

#3 Post by kanuckRG » Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:19 am

Very interesting product. They pointedly make a claim that the "aluminum electrolytic capacitor" has a reliable life of about 10 years. They don't differentiate if this differs from a bike of with high or low mileage over 10 years (ie due to usage) or if it just 'times out'. This is out of my wheelhouse, so was wondering if any electronic techies have any opinion on what they are stating?

As an aside, my spare CDI is one that I sourced from BDK Race Engineering (UK) many years ago and has a potentiometer built in (they make a small opening in the box and do their wiring, then epoxy a tiny screw adjustment at the surface). They maintain that it can adjust advance from stock to +4 degrees, if memory serves (I'll have to go back through some very old emails to confirm). I honestly have never tried it, as I sold my modified bike about the same time I acquired this. Based on what I've gathered in the literature and backed up by what mega-denshi determined, I doubt that there is any performance gain from the BDK offering on a stock motor.