VIDEOS. Monsoon session, Advance Rider Session, and crash

For those who love to "take it to the track!"

Moderator: rztom

rz500guytexas

VIDEOS. Monsoon session, Advance Rider Session, and crash

#1 Post by rz500guytexas » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:24 pm

Here are all the videos from Circuit Of The American this last weekend. Rained all day Saturday and last session it was a downpour. It got so dark out and water started running over the track in many spots. Was still passed on the back staright so I went in chase till decided just bring it home. Been a fun year figuring out the TZ until I seized it. Circlip came out of lower piston made a mess of it. Thakfully I caught it instantly. Alway two finger on clutch on the .92 mile back straight at COTA. All good but had to take the 500 out last session with the rain tires still mounted in the dry. Set pressures at 35 and was told will be a bit squirly in fast corners and it was going to be what it would be. Almost tucked it first turn and settled in afetr first lap. Was still cold out at 56 degrees. Straight line stability was a joke so getting steering damper for next year.

THE CRASH.
Second session out on TZ had a guy crash in front of me. Session before was losing the front in the corner he went down in. There are 4 lefts along with back straight so you have a hard time keeping heat on right of tires. Basically a cold tire. I was going to go inside him and just tipped it in. I heard a big bike on my left after turn 12. When he went down I looked at him not knowing where he and bike were going, so decided go straight, hit the brakes hard, and try not to go down myself. New Taichi Air suit on. He tumbled with his head directly in front of my tire as I target fixated. I just told myself, please God, do not let me break this guys neck, did a nose stand inches from him, back wheel came down, could not get my footing, stepped off bike and set it on it's side. He literally grabbed my camera when he got up to get off tarck. I picked mine up and rolled it into gravel trap and hid behind it. Best, I mean best, safety crew anywhere came over within a few minuts, gave me a push start, and all is history. I helped him fix his bike between class room and he told me he should not of passed me. He said the only thing he saw when he rolled over was my front tire in his face mask. My instructor is going to debrief me on the incident.

Will get the rain session uploaded and a short monsoon session maybe.

ADVANCED RIDER SESSION ME BEING VIDEOED https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8sQ0BbBxQ0

THE CRASH https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8AxOh8jmvw

FRUSTRATION WITH TZ AND CAMERA LOSS https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEP-pfzwICQ

kpke

Re: VIDEOS. Monsoon session, Advance Rider Session, and crash

#2 Post by kpke » Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:50 am

Great videos Paul! Thanks for posting. I always enjoy watching these.

You are fkn moving out there.

Were you able to retrieve the camera?

The video in the other post riding in that rainstorm just doesn't seem like much fun to me :smt009
Ken's Garage YouTube Channel :smt023
https://www.youtube.com/c/KensGarage1

1985 RZ500 (R6 suspension & body work)

lost1750GTV
- - - - -
- - - - -

#3 Post by lost1750GTV » Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:01 pm

There is a tendency to go where your eyes are focused, and it seems you were focused on the crash instead of the ample track available inside of the downed rider.

rz500guytexas

#4 Post by rz500guytexas » Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:11 pm

I did keep camera. Rain was not the funnest but it sure makes you work on keeping bike upright and throttle control. If it was summer would of been fine but I felt the rear spin up a few times. Out of one and 15.

The accident I 100% agree. My rider coach said same thing. I should of kept on my path but I target fixated at his head which seemed to be farthest away. I heard that bike on my left but after tucking the front in that corner several times on the 250 I did not want to tighten the corner and fall myself. Split second choice was he was going to continue going right so go straight. We all saw how that ended. When he stopped all I thought was do not break his neck. Wish his visor was clear because that camera was in his face. Not sur how high the back wheel of my bike came up. I think I was trying not to step on him so i just let go of the bike and sat it on it's side. I will know better just not to put myself near other rider when track is cold.

When I found him in pit he apologized and I said all good and I was so happy I stopped. I still do not think he realized how bad that could have turned out. We all learn. He said all he saw in his visor was front tire. I helped hip get the clip on off, replace master cylinder bracket, and also the master reservoir. He had a bit of cosmetic damage, exhaust pipe, and mine was a scratch on the brake lever tip.