Paint Codes

General forum on fairings, seats, tanks, tail sections, painting and other bodywork modifications

Moderator: rztom

puzzleboy

Paint Codes

#1 Post by puzzleboy » Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:58 am

I've done a lot of searching on this, and I see the posts on the Yamaha colors. 36 and E-1 for the white and red.

What I'm looking for is equivalent codes for automotive paints. RM would be the best, if anybody has it. Hopefully someone who had done all this research can help out.

Looking to get the bike painted next week, so I really appreciate any help anyone can provide!

Regards,

Jason

smurph
- - - - -
- - - - -

#2 Post by smurph » Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:33 pm

Here is some info from the archives and some paint codes that I have added. I took the PPG codes and went to the Sherwin-Williams auto paint website and converted them.

I have used the grey when I repainted my frame and it was pretty close. A little darker, but the original paint was probably faded quite a bit. I have not used the white or the red yet. I'll report back after this weekend's paint session. :grin:

FROM PPG
RED :76522
WHITE : 4576
GREY : 5557

FROM MATRIX
RED :76417
WHITE : 4471
GREY : 5452

FROM Sherwin Williams

56793 Color: Millenium Silver Met
60399 Color: Hellrot Ii
46517 Color: Pure White

Steve
Fuel Injected RZ350

rztom
Site Admin

#3 Post by rztom » Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:51 pm

smurph wrote:I'll report back after this weekend's paint session.
You promise...?? You sure you aren't just sayin' that and are actually planning to be out trimming more hedges this weekend, Steve... :shock:

Pics speak a thousand words... :lol:

Really I'm just anxious to see what you've done with that hideous yellow tank... :cool:

Oh, and Jason.... long-time lurker and 1st time poster... welcome!! :smt023

smurph
- - - - -
- - - - -

#4 Post by smurph » Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:27 am

rztom wrote:
smurph wrote:I'll report back after this weekend's paint session.
You promise...?? You sure you aren't just sayin' that and are actually planning to be out trimming more hedges this weekend, Steve... :shock:

Pics speak a thousand words... :lol:

Really I'm just anxious to see what you've done with that hideous yellow tank... :cool:
Well... I might not get as far along as I thought. I had to work on my step-daughter's car tonight and I was wanting to strip the tank.

But the tank is not the most hideous thing. The side cowls are hard to beat in the hideous department! :vom: That blue!!! Where did they get that blue paint? It had to have been a mixture from the remains of a bunch of paint cans. But you are right Tom, the yellow is nothing to fall in love with either.

Guys, this was one butt ugly paint scheme. :grin: I'll take picture of it before I start sanding so that no matter how bad of a job I do on my new paint, it will be a thousand times better than what it was. It has nowhere to go but up.

Tom and I laugh about the paint, but the good thing is that all of the tabs are there and the plastic is in rather good shape.

I might get the white painted. I don't know... There is a boat load of sanding I have to do. We'll see how it goes.

Steve
Fuel Injected RZ350

smurph
- - - - -
- - - - -

#5 Post by smurph » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:45 pm

Well... I got the bottom of the tank painted white. That's all. But I can report that the color match is excellent with the white part of the decal stripes.

It took all freaking day (Saturday) to strip the puke yellow tank. That stuff had kryptonite or something in it. Then, the lack of paint and primer revealed a few small repairs that had to be re-done. Looked like gravel dents. So the majority of Sunday was spent prepping the tank. I really hate body work. I get too picky with the filler when I should stop with the filler and start with the primer/surfacer. It's because I hate to wait on the primer to dry. But it looks nice now.

So now all the body work is prepped except the front cowl. I will not be able to report on the red color match until a couple of more weekends.

Steve
Fuel Injected RZ350

smurph
- - - - -
- - - - -

#6 Post by smurph » Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:09 pm

The red matches. I have completed my tank including decals. It looks brand new.

Steve
Fuel Injected RZ350

MC

#7 Post by MC » Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:52 am

Steve, not sure which brand you used but I posted those PPG & Matrix colors on the old forum and you are correct if you used the grey /silver frame color from the above two listed Co. it is a hair darker from the frame I had to match up with, I spent the most effort on the red & white colors, I thought I listed a blue for the stripes ? the blue stripe color will match just as good for those who can lay em' out right :cool: apply the lettering from a source selling them for the tank & cowling's clear it all together and hey your busting bugs ........ :smt023

Here is the blue stripe basecoat color ... it's real close

PPG - 4935
Matrix - 4830
Last edited by MC on Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Froth

#8 Post by Froth » Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:12 am

So is that the same red as in the Red/Black Euro paint scheme?

MC

#9 Post by MC » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:37 am

Froth wrote:So is that the same red as in the Red/Black Euro paint scheme?
Hmm not sure, mine's the maple leaf model that I matched up too . could be though ? they were all built in Japan ... right , I do like the Euro paint scheme just not to many here in the states to compare ........

jackjabba

#10 Post by jackjabba » Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:50 am

I don't think the Red on the RZ paint scheme and the Euro model are the same. The Euro scheme is metalic Red on a pearl White. I have an RZ panel and it is a flat Red compared to the Euro one.

Euro Paint

Stormy Red
Silky White

or

Stormy Red
New Yamaha Black

Anyone have the codes for the Euro Colors.

marky2strk

Euro Paint

#11 Post by marky2strk » Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:40 pm

Jason,

I have not seen an oem piece from a euro bike, but I recently painted my bike with Sherwin-Williams Hellrot Ii # 76417 as provided by Steve Murphy. Comaped to pictures from period publications, it is pretty damm close. Decals were by AFE graphics and they claim they took the decal colors directly from an oem decal. Take a look.