What are they worth today?

"Off-topic" forum for general BS - spout off here

Moderator: rztom

Vin
- - - - -
- - - - -

What are they worth today?

#1 Post by Vin » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:43 am

I'm wondering what I should be insuring my 500's nowadays?

currently at 10k but looking at what below is going for I'm not sure if I should up it a bit now, the modified one I guess will be less but the one I'm building will be original apart from pipes and brake lines and to a high standard?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YAMAHA-RD500 ... SwbzxauTKP" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

podman

Re: What are they worth today?

#2 Post by podman » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:45 pm

Carole Nash agreed to a value of £12,500 on my bike last September mate...Fill in the form, send some pictures in and they will tell you if your taking the mickey or not...Id defo say 13k anyway, eBay is hard to judge a true reflection of the market, I sold a paddock stand the other week for £400, the following week, I sold another identical one and made half of that, if you get two or more desperate bidders, it can make the end price artificially high IMHO.

silverstrom
- - - - -
- - - - -

#3 Post by silverstrom » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:50 pm

podman wrote: I sold a paddock stand the other week for £400, the following week, I sold another identical one and made half of that, if you get two or more desperate bidders, it can make the end price artificially high IMHO.
I would have happily paid plenty for a genuine paddock stand. I'm looking for RZ500 and RG500 genuine paddock stands.

Vin, I think you need to assign a value of at 15,000 GBP, if not more. What it cost you to build it is irrelevant. It's replacement cost that matters. The point of the insurance valuation is what it would cost you to find and purchase the identical bike. You'll pay more to get the same quality you have now and it will take time to find it. An independent appraisal is always best. Then your insurance company has the proof to back up your claim.

And keep this in mind: with these bikes it is not a local market, it is a global market. Pricing should be based on that global market. Many bikes sold on ebay, auctions, etc go to overseas buyers.

Vin
- - - - -
- - - - -

#4 Post by Vin » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:35 am

Thanks guys [emoji106] l realise it's a difficult one to price and very subjective especially looking at eBay prices but in reality lm guessing people outside of eBay reference it as a guide too as the amount of people that use eBay as a bargaining tool when the say "on eBay l can get this" or " you could sell it on eBay for that"

Anyway just wanted to know what you guys insure them for in the real world!

I will look into independent valuation though as this can only help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

podman

#5 Post by podman » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:16 am

The key is he "agreed valuation" Vin...IE Its agreed with the insurer and you when the insurance is taken out. Just ask your insurer for the agreement forms, its only a case of filling it in and sending some pictures in. 5 mins max.

In the UK anyway, an independent valuation will only be worthwhile AFTER the event of an accident/loss.

V4 Heaven

#6 Post by V4 Heaven » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:31 am

Vin - Carole Nash agreed the value of mine at £10k. After posting this on the UK Owners Club FB page, other people have had theirs insure for £13-15k with special builds having an agreed value of £20k.
Gettin' kinda squirrely!

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#7 Post by Smoker » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:16 pm

What if you owned the last surviving factory motoGP bike, and somehow made it street legal, or a one-off custom built machine? A bike that could not be replaced.

What do you do about insurance?

I'm guessing you would just have to choose an amount of money that you would settle for in a total loss. The cost of the insurance should be the same for any vehicle insured for that same price.

Not really sure how it works. If there was a total loss a month or two after getting insurance, the insurance company could take a huge hit. Of course, if there was never a claim for many years, the owner could pay a small fortune.

Not saying it's a smart thing to do, but I have insurance on 6 bikes. Every policy is the absolute legal mimimum. I pay about $100 usd per year, per bike. I'm just willing to fix the damage myself using the money I've saved over the years vs. full coverage and higher premiums.

Not sure what I'll do with the big custom bikes, though.

giron
- - - - -
- - - - -

#8 Post by giron » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:47 pm

is this the paddock stand that all the fuzz is about. I know I have the swingarm support pieces up in the rafter. the stand is available use. the bigger cost will be the airline ticket to japan and you will need a passport

1991 3MATZR250SP
!993 3XVTZR250SP
1996 RGV250(Lucky Strike)
1994 MC28SP
1995 MC28SP
1996 MC28SP
1985 RG500(Walter Wolfe)
1984 IT490
1985 RZV500R
1985 NS400R
1985 NS400R
1997 VFR750