MotoGP at COTA and slave labor corner workers!

"Off-topic" forum for general BS - spout off here

Moderator: rztom

RC45
- - - - -
- - - - -

MotoGP at COTA and slave labor corner workers!

#1 Post by RC45 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:29 pm

OK - so the MotoGP comes to the USA. Great circus great show and of course, HUGE money for the promoters, MotoGP, the teams and sponsors.

People have to pay through the nose to come watch the circus and then the participants in the circus make money hand over fist.

[rant]

So why in the hell are the support people who are the final link in the safety chain at a motor racing event often VOLUNTEERS?

Why should these folks not get paid, and paid at least as much as a premium ticket costs, when the rest of the infrastructure is setup to make money?

This has always been a big pet peeve of mine.

http://us11.campaign-archive2.com/?u=50 ... 5a850f924a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.motorsportreg.com/events/mot ... ers-154855" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And this BS about getting front row seats etc. is just that BS.

Best seat in the house is a private box and a big TV, followed by a big TV at home. Then again I have not watched a live motorcycle race on TV since the last 2 stroke 500 race.

[/rant]
CBR1000RR SP2 HRC WSBK
TZ500V/OW53 Track bike
YZR500 OW81 Clone
OW69 Daytona 200 Replica - 784cc Monster
NS400 Track Bike
RS250R NF5
TZ250T 2KM
TZ250B 3YL
TZR250 3MA Track Bike
427ci C5 Z07

silverstrom
- - - - -
- - - - -

Re: MotoGP at COTA and slave labor corner workers!

#2 Post by silverstrom » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:12 pm

Greed. It's always about the money.

Now, having said that, there appears to be no shortage of volunteers. I suspect that if those volunteers had a big issue with not getting paid they could simply not volunteer.

RC45
- - - - -
- - - - -

Re: MotoGP at COTA and slave labor corner workers!

#3 Post by RC45 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:04 am

silverstrom wrote:Greed. It's always about the money.

Now, having said that, there appears to be no shortage of volunteers. I suspect that if those volunteers had a big issue with not getting paid they could simply not volunteer.
Oh, I agree the folks keep volunteering, so they keep getting free labor.

It just seems odd that the entire circus is populated by paid professionals, except the final link in the safety chain.

If a venue has to pay a purse to the race series to host them, then the race series should bring their own paid professional corner workers.

Then again, as I say I am obtuse :)

When I go to a supermarket and they insist I use the self checkout rather than used the manned cash register, I ask for a discount - after all I am saving them the labor cost of the person running the register and I am essentially doing the stores job, so I should be compensated .

If my self-checkout purchase is saving them money, then lower the prices.
CBR1000RR SP2 HRC WSBK
TZ500V/OW53 Track bike
YZR500 OW81 Clone
OW69 Daytona 200 Replica - 784cc Monster
NS400 Track Bike
RS250R NF5
TZ250T 2KM
TZ250B 3YL
TZR250 3MA Track Bike
427ci C5 Z07