Moderator: rztom

rd84
- - - - -
- - - - -

Re: Coolant

#16 Post by rd84 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:26 pm

steveho wrote:Thanks Silverstrom.
Does anybody run one of these?
Just wondering if any down side to having the thermostat open earlier..... :???:
Seems like this could be a good compromise, as just removing or drilling extra holes in the stock stat affects the water flow distribution, but having one that opens earlier just seems right to me...
Hi Steve,

The last thing you want in the UK is a cooler running RD500 - standard is fine - on really hot days ie those 5 days we have each year the temp will get almost to the red line in very slow or stationary traffic - but in 32 years of riding my RD500 in the UK its never gone into the red or given any kind of problem - Adelaide area might be different though ! :grin:

Hope this is of help.

Cheers
Paul

Speed Freak
- - - - -
- - - - -

#17 Post by Speed Freak » Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:10 pm

Try to clean your radiator and use water+coolant. The more water the better.
Don`t know how hard your winters are, but here in Austria I always mix it to -20°C, outside the temperature will go lower for 3-4 nights/year but in the garage it will not go below -15°C.

This waterless coolant was discussed some days ago in the racing forum, they said it shouldn`t be used.
On one hand it is based on oil (not good for the track when you crash the bike) and on the other hand the heat capacity is lower than water.
This means for the same amount of heat it needs to get warmer.
In the end your bike will not run cooler, the opposite will be the case.
It only will not start to boil (this is the advantage of this stuff) but I don`t know what will happen with your head gasket, head and cylinders when they get hotter than ~110°C.

Standard temperature of 2-Stroke bikes is anyway ~60°C, I guess "hot" means 80°C and not boiling (~110°C)
My bikes:
RD500 YPVS 1GE
RD350 YPVS 31K 1985
Honda CBR 1000 RR SC57
Yamaha R1 RN04

steveho

#18 Post by steveho » Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:24 pm

Thanks Paul.
I just hear that race bikes are often set to run at around 65 degreesC, so thought that this would be a good idea for the street too.
Also, my YZR rep has no rad fan, so will suffer in traffic....
Anyway, I need to get it running and on the street....!
Cheers, Steve

steveho

#19 Post by steveho » Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:26 pm

My last reply got delayed, so apologies for that.
Thanks for input Speed Freak.
Cheers.