The Cure For Stupidity

"Off-topic" forum for general BS - spout off here

Moderator: rztom

silverstrom
- - - - -
- - - - -

The Cure For Stupidity

#1 Post by silverstrom » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:28 am

Looks like they finally found the cure for stupidity. This one is definitely a candidate for the Darwin Award.

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/ ... ing/68743/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kpke

Re: The Cure For Stupidity

#2 Post by kpke » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:51 am

We went to Yellowstone last year. And witnessed this stupidity firsthand. Not anybody dying but many, many people walking off the designated paths. The crust there is very thin in some places and you can fall right through.

From the article

Authorities attempted to retrieve the body of Colin Nathaniel Scott, a former nature preserve volunteer from Portland, Oregon, but suspended efforts after rangers determined there were no remains left. The site is the hottest and most unsettled area in Yellowstone, according to the park's website. Water temperatures in the spring can reach as high as 200 oC. Officials say this tragic ending is another grim reminder that visitors need to follow park rules.

What a way to go.

We go to Yosemite every year and witness this same stupidity over and over and over again. There is so much opportunity for things to go bad in an instant. When you hear the helicopters you know something is up.

And stupid people go over the barriers and subsequently get severely injured or die. Like a few years ago when four people went over Vernal Falls.

A couple years ago my wife and I were on a hike up in the Vernal Falls area and saw a dude attempting to cross sheeting rushing water coming down the granite. I said to my wife "he's going to lose it", and no more than 10 seconds later lost his footing and took the ride of his life. He slid down the granite right by us for about 100 yards. He had the look of death (rightfully so) on his face as he came zipping by. This particular rushing water ends in a washing machine. I hiked down there and by the time I got there he fortunately made his way out. His ankle appeared to be broken and very bloodied up. Other folks were helping him out so we proceeded on our hike up to Nevada Falls and back. By the time we got back he was still there with the rescue people.

Another time in that same area there is a very steep ascent up steps carved in granite. The last ascent to get to the top of Vernal Falls. Depending on how heavy the water flow is it can be slippery wet and the steps on trail are also covered in slippery dirt and grit. The rescue people were already there with a woman that was probably about 350 pounds. She had slipped and rolled down and fortunately stopped in a grove of trees. I think they were trying to figure out how the heck they were going to get this heavyweight out of there. I felt sorry for the rescue team.

Last year my daughter and I hiked up to the top of Yosemite Falls. Then took a trail to a place called Yosemite Point. We were there by ourselves snacking and really enjoying the views and the peace and quiet. There is a spot where they have built a rock wall about 3 feet high or so. You can creep up and peer over and it is about a 3000 foot drop straight down to the valley floor. Here comes a group of youngsters. They had to get up on the wall, you know, just because. Then one of them did a handstand on that wall. One slip and he would've been done. We left right away. I did not want to see the accident should it happen.

I have some pictures of people doing really stupid things up on the top of Half Dome. Kind of the same as above. Hanging over the edge of a 4500 foot drop straight down to Mirror Lake. If I get some time I'll dig those pictures out.

I could go on but I will stop now.

Have a nice day :smt006
Ken's Garage YouTube Channel :smt023
https://www.youtube.com/c/KensGarage1

1985 RZ500 (R6 suspension & body work)

silverstrom
- - - - -
- - - - -

#3 Post by silverstrom » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:21 pm

Proof that Charles Darwin was right. Lol

Speed Freak
- - - - -
- - - - -

#4 Post by Speed Freak » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:53 pm

I think they were trying to figure out how the heck they were going to get this heavyweight out of there. I felt sorry for the rescue team.
There is a simple solution

My bikes:
RD500 YPVS 1GE
RD350 YPVS 31K 1985
Honda CBR 1000 RR SC57
Yamaha R1 RN04

Rick Lance

#5 Post by Rick Lance » Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:11 pm

Do you really think that a 350# injured lady could ride a cow out of the Yosemite back country? :grin: :grin: :grin:
If I disagree with everyone, that doesn't make me right. If I take the side of only one, it doesn't end the fight. If my position's strong enough from exposure to the light, you may see things my way when we share the same highway.