Shipping of an exhaust system from the USA to Canada?

"Off-topic" forum for general BS - spout off here

Moderator: rztom

fbman

Shipping of an exhaust system from the USA to Canada?

#1 Post by fbman » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:47 am

Hi Guys, I need some info on how best a person in the USA can ship me an exhaust system here in Ontario?
This is a private deal, the exhaust system is new, never installed and a USA manufactured system.
The system is for my 76 BMW R75/6 i'm restoring.
I'm thinking USPS is the best way for him to ship the items to me?
Is there anything in the declaration documents that needs to be stated, since the system is made in the USA it should be import/duty/tax free???
Thanks
Frank B
86 RZ350S -Mostly stock, Intake + Toomie Pipes
88 FZR250 -Stock
2004 BMW F650GS
1976 BMW R75/6 main ride
1989 Yamaha TDR250

silverstrom
- - - - -
- - - - -

Re: Shipping of an exhaust system from the USA to Canada?

#2 Post by silverstrom » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:21 am

Frank

Regardless of where it's made you run the risk of duties and taxes if intercepted by Canada Customs. All they care about is $$ and NAFTA means nothing to them.

USPS will avoid the brokerage headaches that you get with a courier. Courier may be an option if you can prepay fees up front. That means a more reasonable reduced rate with duties, taxes and brokerage. Still, it is probably better to use USPS and hope it doesn't get stopped by Canada Customs.

Another option is courier to a US point near the border and then go get it yourself. You may or may not pay fees at the border, depending on how honest you feel at the time. It should be just HST if you do pay. A few of the Ontario members here have PO boxes in the US. Email me if you want more on that.

RuZty
- - - - -
- - - - -

#3 Post by RuZty » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:02 am

Avoid UPS like ebola, as John mentioned using the mail is easier and is a lottery if it gets duty applied or not. What it comes down to is whether the officer inspecting it feels it fits a given category. Make sure the seller describes it accurately and if possible includes a certificate of origin. Keep all paperwork, if you feel you have been overcharged you have every right to ask for a partial refund, and there is a system in place to do so. I have shipped lots of stuff the other way at work and once had a duty charge of $6k because someone in our front office changed the HTS code after I had made sure of the right one, duty went from 0% to 6% on a six figure item. It took 4 months, but I got it refunded just on principle.
More info here; http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/posta ... u-eng.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

fbman

#4 Post by fbman » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:11 am

Thanks John and Ruzty for the info and the web site info. That will help for sure...
Frank
88 FZR250 -Stock
2004 BMW F650GS
1976 BMW R75/6 main ride
1989 Yamaha TDR250

ixe13
- - - - -
- - - - -

#5 Post by ixe13 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:28 pm

USPS- Canada Post always , ask the seller to declare the parcel as a gift ( used moto parts ) of $60. or less . UPS are a bunch of crooks and you are warned , they charge custom brokers fees ( $30.00 + ) , sale tax on non taxable items plus duty on everything even on a $10.00 book .

2smoke

#6 Post by 2smoke » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:26 pm

Frank, I PMed you the website of the business I use in the states. Its a long drive for you though so not sure if its an option for you....
Colin

2-strokefanUK

#7 Post by 2-strokefanUK » Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:22 am

It's the same here in the UK. Parts shipped from the US via UPS ( or Fed Ex ) always have customs charges applied.
If the package comes via USPS to the UK and is then handled by the UK post office ( Royal Mail ), it's 50 / 50 whether it gets charged.

Another bugbear for us here is the current ebay global shipping program, where customs charges are applied upfront, so every package sent this way has charges on it. I steer away from these sellers, I mainly only buy from those sellers who offer USPS first class international shipping. I've never had anything go astray , and as above, on average only 50% get charged.

ixe13
- - - - -
- - - - -

#8 Post by ixe13 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:24 am

2-strokefanUK wrote:It's the same here in the UK. Parts shipped from the US via UPS ( or Fed Ex ) always have customs charges applied.
If the package comes via USPS to the UK and is then handled by the UK post office ( Royal Mail ), it's 50 / 50 whether it gets charged.

Another bugbear for us here is the current ebay global shipping program, where customs charges are applied upfront, so every package sent this way has charges on it. I steer away from these sellers, I mainly only buy from those sellers who offer USPS first class international shipping. I've never had anything go astray , and as above, on average only 50% get charged.

There should be no custom charges on ''gift ''

silverstrom
- - - - -
- - - - -

#9 Post by silverstrom » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:33 am

ixe13 wrote:
There should be no custom charges on ''gift ''
Yes, that's the theory, but with Canada Customs it simply doesn't matter. If they feel like charging duties and taxes, they will, regardless of what is marked on the paperwork. I have paid a lot of money for boxes marked as a gift.

Customs assumes that everyone marks everything as a gift, and they do. The simple truth is this; if customs intercepts your package you will pay whatever they feel like charging you regardless of what the paperwork says for value or if it's marked as a gift. I recently paid $220 in duties and taxes for a box marked as a gift with a declared value of less than $100. It is what it is. Assume you may have to pay and then hope you don't.

silverstrom
- - - - -
- - - - -

#10 Post by silverstrom » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:41 am

2-strokefanUK wrote: Another bugbear for us here is the current ebay global shipping program, where customs charges are applied upfront, so every package sent this way has charges on it. I steer away from these sellers, I mainly only buy from those sellers who offer USPS first class international shipping. I've never had anything go astray , and as above, on average only 50% get charged.
The Global Shipping Program sucks. It adds a significant amount to the cost and shipping time is far longer. Only eBay could come up with something so utterly useless. :smt011

ixe13
- - - - -
- - - - -

#11 Post by ixe13 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:09 am

silverstrom wrote:
ixe13 wrote: Customs assumes that everyone marks everything as a gift, and they do. The simple truth is this; if customs intercepts your package you will pay whatever they feel like charging you regardless of what the paperwork says for value or if it's marked as a gift. I recently paid $220 in duties and taxes for a box marked as a gift with a declared value of less than $100. It is what it is. Assume you may have to pay and then hope you don't.
I was billed for a returned item that I sold on eBay , I asked for a refund and got it a few weeks later , just ask your post office for the paper form .

fbman

#12 Post by fbman » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:49 am

I know that Canada Customs can be a very funny bunch.
I recall getting some old used RD350 parts from the US for a really good price.
Canada Customs opened the package and decided the value of the parts was higher then that of the parcel declaration price.
I thought about fighting this, but then figured that might end up flagging me on there system, like if you cross the border
with your vehicle and have be caught being untruthful your vehicle plate gets flagged.
I ended up just letting it go as I had lots of smaller items get through customs with no charges...
Anyways Thanks everyone on this matter.
Frank
88 FZR250 -Stock
2004 BMW F650GS
1976 BMW R75/6 main ride
1989 Yamaha TDR250