Bike on a shelf

Got a customizing or restoration project? Post your progress pictures and updates here

Moderator: rztom

rz500guytexas

Bike on a shelf

#1 Post by rz500guytexas » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:53 pm

Miscellaneous parts are here for brakes, carbs, and suspension. Final pieces will be a few sets of pistons. Think the other main engine things have been sourced out. Will send engine out for thorough go over including transmission. Have a shift bearing kit that is suppose to improve downshifts. If I am able to ride it and enjoy it then EGT set up and maybe an adjustable Zeeltronic controller. Looking forward to getting it back together. What a wonderful machine with the simplicity of design. Every nut, bolt, fastener, and axles are all titanium. Was told it is 210 pounds total. Not going to be a show piece. Will be track tool.

lost1750GTV
- - - - -
- - - - -

Re: Bike on a shelf

#2 Post by lost1750GTV » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:48 am

"simplicity of design"

taking apart/working on TZ's was so simple/easy
anything seems a pita since, even dirt bikes.

pstamper
- - - - -
- - - - -

#3 Post by pstamper » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:48 pm

1 1/2 hours to get it to frame and another 1 1/2 to get it stripped. Just ordered crank, pistons, heads, and spare cylinders. Am really looking forward to this bike. Might need some adjustable rear sets though. Hoping to get a year out of set of pistons and 2 out or a cranks. Will tear down at 350 miles and measure everything to see how abusive I am.

lost1750GTV
- - - - -
- - - - -

#4 Post by lost1750GTV » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:43 pm

Do you have a manual with hour or mile recommendations?
My new in 1982 j model did.
Tear down and measure was after every race, and my recollection was that the crank needed rebuilding at less than 350 miles regardless of measurements.
I realize yours is a much newer model and the track day use/schedule may be somewhat different than a race season but .... it sucks when they go "pop".

lost1750GTV
- - - - -
- - - - -

#5 Post by lost1750GTV » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:59 am

I cannot attest to the accuracy of this article, but it gives factory and tuner recommended miles for v twin TZ's, if you scroll down to maintenance.
seems to be a worthwhile read.

http://www.le-suspension.com/tz-250-tuning-secrets/

pstamper
- - - - -
- - - - -

#6 Post by pstamper » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:06 am

I have read that article numerous times. Highlighted what is important to me. Ed Toomey will be doing engine so I know where I am starting. The part that upsets me is when I order a special bearings and then when I locate it here in the states. The linkage bearings that I located were $6 here and I paid $35. That one hurt because there were 3. I was hoping someone on the 250 sites would have told me the info before ordering but no help. I am going to make a list for others in that event. A cheat sheet of sorts would be nice for all our bikes. Special item dedicated to the bike is one thing but that was a little too much.

Maintenance will include tear down at 200 miles and check tolerances on pistons and rings. Hope I can go 400 miles on top end and over 1,000 on the crank. Everyone I have spoke with said good engine if you stay on top of it. Good fuel and oil, watch timing, keep on top of jetting, and respect it. I have been worried about the 500 on the track but it has been very reliable. Cracked a piston last year when I was caught out with humidity change. Dropped 20% and I was also lazy and did not change front sprocket for back straight at COTA. With a length of .62 miles it is a bit of a stretch for normal gearing. Simply replaced piston and ring and back on track. Hope the 250 will be the track bike and I can retire the 500 to the street.

lost1750GTV
- - - - -
- - - - -

#7 Post by lost1750GTV » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:30 am

yours is a lot later than either of mine were (rough tz700A with 250 g engine, new 82 250J) , the first was a revelation coming from street (and dirt) bikes, the J was a bigger revelation coming from that.
I think you will be very happy as long as you keep in mind it's a more highly stressed design than a street engine, with a quick chassis and response.
I absolutely defer to Toomey's expertise and experience. stuff was more secretive and harder to learn back then. basically K. Cameron articles, G. Jennings book - and competition only too happy to send you in the wrong direction.

pstamper
- - - - -
- - - - -

#8 Post by pstamper » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:43 am

I just hope I am somewhat capable of pushing the bike a bit. I use to really enjoy my RD 250 at the track because it was just keep the throttle open compared to my 350. We are going for midrange and torque not all out top speed. But it would be rather nice to stay up with a Ducati or liter bike on the back straight at COTA.

lost1750GTV
- - - - -
- - - - -

#9 Post by lost1750GTV » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:08 pm

no comparison with my rd350lc.
forget the rd250, not even relevant.
but judging by your vids I think you will enjoy it.