kpke RZ500 resto/mod

Got a customizing or restoration project? Post your progress pictures and updates here

Moderator: rztom

kpke

kpke RZ500 resto/mod

#1 Post by kpke » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:24 pm

This is my first post on this side. A new journey begins.

I recently bought this load of stuff, which includes a project 85 rz500

Yesterday I built this (since I don't have a "real" one), speaking of real a real wheel chock has been ordered

The haul came with a never opened new set of airtech body work, all the original body work (rough), the original pipes, a bunch of new gaskets and small parts (all Yamaha stuff), a bunch of used ignition spares, 2 sets of wheels, the original forks, a full spare top end, spare tank, etc.

As you can see the bike has R6 front end and both wheels are R6. All the parts have been "moved over" to an alu frame. Motor is std bore brand new Yamaha top end and the SS lomas.

All is not great tho. I bought it w/o hearing it run altho the PO was a trustworthy guy. He just knew he would never finish it. I would have preferred the parts not being moved to the alu frame. He paid someone lots to do it and it is not done well at all.

OK, so I will tear it all down and redo everything. Lots of questions to come. I am excited about this one at the same time intimidated by the complexity of the beast. There are appendages hanging all over it and the motor is 2 in 1. But first I will hear it run.

So the first of a zillion ?s.

Does anyone have a pre start check list handy? Yes I have a manual but was hoping for the quick start guide. Maybe someone has this. I need to hear the lomas pipes sing.

A few more photos of some of the extras

That's it for now.

Thanks,
Ken
Ken's Garage YouTube Channel :smt023
https://www.youtube.com/c/KensGarage1

1985 RZ500 (R6 suspension & body work)

alan child

#2 Post by alan child » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:45 pm

hello,wow,youve got alot of spares there,thats gonna keep you busy for a while,i know how youre feeling.i felt the same i also couldnt wait to hear the sound of a 2stroke 500 roaring.ive also got the same pipes on mine too..keep the pics coming.....!

lgyee4
- - - - -
- - - - -

#3 Post by lgyee4 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:40 pm

Nice score!
IF all you want to do is hear it run,
1. check to see if there is spark, do you hear the power valves cycle when you turn the ignition on?
2. Make sure the oil pump is set correctly and is hooked up
3. Clean and check the carbs
4. Put in some fresh gas
5. Kick it and diagnose
Keep us posted and Welcome!
1985 RZ 350
1985 RZ 500
1992 WR 200

aaronmvrider

#4 Post by aaronmvrider » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:47 am

i would start by pulling carbs and doing all fluids... bleeding oil lines check oil lines to carbs are not blocked, kinked or pinched

i had a pinched oil line and a crank seal failure on the same cylinder go through and set it up as if it were a new delivered bike from the factory.... lomas pipes are the business... do a compression test and check all powervalves are rotating... charge the battery or put a fresh one in it

nice purchase welcome to both sides now....

lomas pipes video link of my rebuild
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBMo_hEQKbU

Image[/img]
my rides
rz 500 1984
2 x rz 350 1984
mv agusta f4 1000 2004

Andrew
- - - - -
- - - - -

#5 Post by Andrew » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:13 pm

Welcome along Ken
:grin:
Andy (UK)
RZV500R
FRC
Faster Faster !!!

kpke

#6 Post by kpke » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:07 am

Thanks for the welcome and the replies guys.

I have started making a prestart checklist. Hopefully start checking things this week end.

Or maybe just paint it and leave it on that stand and stare at it for hours on end. It looks cool. :smt118

No, that would take all the fun out of it.

kpke

#7 Post by kpke » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:34 am

All 4 plugs spark.

PVs cycle when the key is turned on. Adjusted properly, I don't know yet.

Oil lines are hooked up and not pinched (thanks aaron). I followed them the whole way thru to verify out of fear after reading your saga!

Oil pump set properly, I don't know yet. Will check the manual for setting. Any comments on this? Sometimes the manuals are not clear to me.

Pulled the trans oil fill cap and there was no dipstick. Ah, I see a sight glass that shows...no oil??? It probably has some and I will top it off for this initial start up.

Left side carbs are off and on the bench now.

Red crap inside them? Usually I see yellow green crap. They don't look too bad tho. Will try to get thru them today but I doubt I'll finish.

Some ?s

OK to start without the elephant ears installed?

How to set the oil pump?

Hmmm, I know there were more. Will have to edit after I push the submit button.

Thanks!!!

Masterbill

#8 Post by Masterbill » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:01 pm

Hello,

have a look at this

http://www.rzrd500.com/500phpBB3/viewto ... 19&start=0

the bit about oil pump setting is about half way down under my name.
RZV 500R .... I had one for 13 years
Thundercat Brakes.
Stan Stevens Stage 3
BDK ignition
Nikon Pipes .

350 F2 Zeeltronic, kenny's pipes, PWK,s

aaronmvrider

#9 Post by aaronmvrider » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:54 pm

yes it should be ok to start without the ears on....

oil pump needs to be set up after the carbs are synced and ypvs adjusted then oil pump last ... from memory

the oil pump has an arm that swings and a center cutout which needs to line up with the marker on the oil pump body just under the cutout section.... make sure it is well bled of air etc...
my rides
rz 500 1984
2 x rz 350 1984
mv agusta f4 1000 2004

kpke

#10 Post by kpke » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:59 am

2 carbs done and 2 to go. Hope to have it started some time real soon.

left side done

right side off (note the cool purple goo, don't know what the heck that is)

kpke

#11 Post by kpke » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:25 am

All 4 carbs rebuilt now. I had done both lefts, reusing all the old parts, and had them fully assembled ready to go back on. Then started the rights. Inside these carbs the brass parts were quite etched to the point where I could not even read the size stamp on the mains. My plan was, even tho I have rebuild kits, to rebuild using all the old parts since I have a feeling after running it in the garage, it may get a complete rebuild. No telling how long this would have taken me. The new carb parts were going to go in next time around.

Oh well, not so. I used the rebuild kits on the rights then took the lefts all apart and put the new brass in them. At least now I can feel good about starting the beast, at least with regards to the carbs. The keyster rebuild kits had 165 mains. These seem small, altho the bike had 160 mains in all 4 carbs as purchased. The manual says stock is 195.

I don't get it. Why would the bike have had the 160's and the rebuild kits have 165's??? Aaron said to go with 190's since the bike has pipes. Stock is 195 ??? Any comments on this would be appreciated.

By the way, all 4 floats measured 21mm from the lip of the carb body. 23mm if measured from below the lip where the gasket would rest. Make sense? I left them alone.

Need to synch carbs, check oil pump, get fuel flowing, and the garage start will commence.

New keyster parts upper left, old parts scattered about

New parts again

Left and right sides (getting there!!!)

lgyee4
- - - - -
- - - - -

#12 Post by lgyee4 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:12 pm

The stock sized MJ is a 165 and I'd start there but with the JL pipes you might wnat to run what was in there first if the PO had done jetting trials. If not, I'd start at the stock settings as a baseline, read the plugs and ride is to see where I'd need to go.
Therer are several posts here on how Yamaha "mislabled" jets as 195, but it's a 165 for stock and I'd start there.
I thinkfor these bikes, it's all about the carbs. The trick is syncing the carbs.
Get a manual and be sure to get the things to open together at the same time. Then get them to flow at the same rate, I used a manometer. Youi can tell from the exhaust pulse out the tail pipes if one is lagging.
Good luck!
I'm in the bay area if you need help.

And do a search on carb jetting and carb sync
plenty of good info there
1985 RZ 350
1985 RZ 500
1992 WR 200

pstamper
- - - - -
- - - - -

restore

#13 Post by pstamper » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:38 pm

Great looking project. I was nervous when I took mine down to the frame but the compliments are always worth it. At the few track days I have done the reponse is always great and passing a Ducati or GXXR 1000 is icing on the cake. Take plenty of pictures and write your ouwn manual as you dissasemble. It is the cable and wiring routing that was difficult for me. Pictures, pictures, pictures.

Do not know if you have seen these videos also. Keep us informed on progress, everyone is great on the forum and very helpful.

http://www.500v4.com/yamaha_500_rdlc_50 ... nique.html

Best of all is the satisfaction of doing it youself and the enjoyment, rather ride myRZ than my 1,200 Bandit any day.

kpke

#14 Post by kpke » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Thanks guys. Interesting about the stock jet sizes. I think I had read that but it didn't really stick in my brain, now it has. I am sure with the mess of the bike that no jetting was done previous. The top end was installed and the pipes and I know it has been started since. However it could not have run well as the carbs were pretty bunged up.

I had not seen those videos, they are very helpful. Perfect timing. I have been reading the manual however a picture (video) tells a thousand words!!!

aaronmvrider

#15 Post by aaronmvrider » Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:18 pm

i am not running an airbox although i use pods off the ears that attatch to the carbs... i run a larger pilot jet and 230 mains with lomas pipes so as a start i would say go up a couple sizes and work your way down... safer than just running small jets ????

i know you understand 2 strokes from the 350 site so good luck with your build

if you are doing pressure tests i would advise to do the leak test also as a failed crank seal is what i had after putting a fresh set of pistons in (1 year later)... at least i got quite a few rides in :sad: :sad: :sad:

bottom end is also very simple to rebuild.... only difference is 1 extra crank and the balance shaft nedds to be marked so it goes back according to plan

they really are an awsome bike to ride and i think when running right would be ok to do a decent distance... really tall gearing so it sits on low revs at highway speeds

great thread / posts keep it going... not many of us can say we have a 350 also... it will be interesting to see what you think is the nicer bike etc... i have to be honest and say i would ride my 350 more than the 500... purely because it handles corners better.... and it was my first build with go fast bits...

my opinion.... dont want to upset the members :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Aaron
my rides
rz 500 1984
2 x rz 350 1984
mv agusta f4 1000 2004