Moto Martin - 'Suspect Device'

Got a customizing or restoration project? Post your progress pictures and updates here

Moderator: rztom

beek

#91 Post by beek » Tue May 01, 2012 5:52 pm

I would of converted the swingarm and bent / replaced the arms like in my pic so the shock was up the other way so the res was at the bottom, maybe this would help with the rear pipes.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m141 ... 222069.jpg

Blackshaheen

#92 Post by Blackshaheen » Wed May 02, 2012 12:02 am

I hear you Beek. As it happens having the reservoir that way up isn't a problem for the pipes, the pipes will come out and around the frame at that point anyway. You are right however that your way would have allowed the shock to be mounted further back from the motor giving more clearance for the first few inches of the upper pipes. The swarbricks should still go on but I'll have to angle them away sooner than I would like. It's my understanding that the straighter the pipes are the better they perform? Time will tell now. I really appreciate your input mate, cheers!!

Blackshaheen

#93 Post by Blackshaheen » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:52 pm

Bloody Fu#$@ng Wa&^*ing Sh1##ing Bas&^rd Swarbricks :smt067 :smt021 :smt017 :smt013

That is all for now...

Ronnie
- - - - -
- - - - -

#94 Post by Ronnie » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:20 pm

Swarbricks could test the patience of the most devoted saint. Mine nearly ended up in the skip several times.

Dubsey
- - - - -
- - - - -

#95 Post by Dubsey » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:03 pm

I sold mine :grin:
Mediocrity is a sin !

Blackshaheen

#96 Post by Blackshaheen » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:24 am

Well that's screwed that then...
I listened to all the advice about software programs and cardboard templates and tig-welding/not gas or maybe a litle spot welding by arc etc, etc, and then went ahead and started hacking away like some kind of nicotine deficient Beagle digging for Marlboro butts and now I'm left with 4 very nice end-cans and some scrap metal/ Turner prize entry (depending on your point of view) but no frigging spannies worth a damn!!
Truly I am a deranged ape who must be protected from himself :sad:

I've just been on the phone to Dave at Swarbrick...another kit is on its way...
I will do better.
I will heed advice.
I will learn from my mistakes.
I will not drink beer prior to commencement.
I will do all these things and more.

Idiot.

garfield
- - - - -
- - - - -

#97 Post by garfield » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:07 am

Looks like all the signs of a bad day Blackshaheen.....

Love the beer rule.....been there myself.

On the positive side... you have the sand and the sun :cool:

For what its worth...you tried...its not how many times we fall but how many times we get up again !! :smt023

Ronnie
- - - - -
- - - - -

#98 Post by Ronnie » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:18 pm

Dave,

Are you going to re upload your photographs? I'd like to see them again. :grin:

Blackshaheen

#99 Post by Blackshaheen » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:55 pm

Hi Ronnie.

I've lost them all (nearly). I had a computer melt-down and I'm too stupid to have back-ups etc... to save my arse. In fact a member here just recently sent me a link of my old Avatar because I even lost that!

More importantly this project is dead. I encountered problems with the Martin frame that were beyond my abilities to handle (and beyond the abilities of the 'professionals' that I payed to handle) unfortunately.

With so much sweat, blood, tears and cash invested in the bike I wanted it to be just right and for various/numerous reasons it became apparant that it was always going to be a 'bodge-job' at best. Not acceptable.

The frame has already gone to a guy in the States who will build the Kawasaki with it that Mr Martin always envisaged.

However...there is good news also.

My spare room floor is currently filled with parts such as my suspension, silencers, brakes and my motor (that I have stripped of internals so it's essentially a shell) and they are going in a few days to Dave Pearce in the UK.

www.tigcraft.com

Apart from Moto2 and 3 racers he also builds frames for Supermonos and racing singles.
He's never built around an RD500 lump and is excited about the prospect.

He's agreed to build me a bespoke frame.
I have to go to the UK in a few days so I might very well just carry the parts as luggage and visit his workshop (which is apparantly a shed in his back garden).
My Swarbrick pipekit will go straight to him also. We've already had several discussions about the bike but it will basically be a naked bike and will have cantilever rear suspension. He's sent me various images of past projects (all tubular frames which I love) and we have more to discuss yet about design. The build should start early September and be done (from his side) maybe early in the new year.

It sometimes feels like a cop-out from my side but I've decided I can't build the bike I want so I'm better off getting a genius to build it for me. Well, the frame anyway. There will be plenty for me still to do after that with electrics etc...it's going to be a bit like getting a Costin or Spondon kit in the respect that much of the foundation work will allready be done but I have to finish building on it as it were.

I'll start a new thread when things have moved along.

Cheers for now.

Dave.

Ronnie
- - - - -
- - - - -

#100 Post by Ronnie » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:39 am

Hi Dave.

Such a shame the Martin didn't work out. It was one of the most interesting projects on here.

At least with a Tigcraft bespoke frame you'll get something designed for that engine and still tubular. I'm sure those monster forks will look a beast on that as well!

Did you keep hold of the tank to have the frame made for that as well or are you getting one made/sourcing a different one?

Looking forward to seeing it.

Ronnie.