Garfield's RZV500r 51X

Got a customizing or restoration project? Post your progress pictures and updates here

Moderator: rztom

garfield
- - - - -
- - - - -

#46 Post by garfield » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:15 pm

YES.indeed Ronnie. I had the same reaction when I read about it. So I gave it a try couple of months back on another tank and was so impressed I did them all. ! Its a mild acid...cuts through the crap and hey presto you have a clean tank. I will have an inside shot up a little later today. Right now the tank looks like a bad guinness with a head of fairy liquid bubbles coming out the top :eek:

garfield
- - - - -
- - - - -

#47 Post by garfield » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:48 pm

Well...have to say, this turned out fantastic. :grin: Sorry I did not manage to have a before shot to show you guy's but I think you get the idea from the sludge that came out.

Ronnie
- - - - -
- - - - -

#48 Post by Ronnie » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:12 pm

That's amazing! How long did yu leave it in for? Did you fill it to thetop!!!!?

garfield
- - - - -
- - - - -

#49 Post by garfield » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:35 pm

Ronnie.... :grin: On couple of occasions I left "it" in too long...and I'm still paying for them!!! :smile:

Right..off to the supermarket or shop wholesalers, 4 or 5 gallons of white vinegar ...about 5 euro a gallon. Depending on the tank exits or ability to turn the fuel off at a stopcock...leave the stop cock on. If you have to remove the stopcock...plug the hole with whatever you can use...i use "bluetack" (putty stuff for hanging posters on walls). with tank empty..fill with the vinegar to the top. There is a bit of playing around with moving the tank from one position to another as usually you cant stop the vinegar coming out of the filler spout...if you turned the tank on its back. So I give it a day in its normal aspect...then on its side for a day ...then vertical and so on. So that all of the sides on the inside have had a chance to be covered

Usually 4 days does it in total...drain out the soup...(be amazed..and pat yourself on the back )..then washing up liquid and a good rinse. Dry the tank...overnight or cheat and use a hot air gun or hair dryer (same thing really).

Mix a little petrol and two stroke or standard engine oil and slosh around the inside again to form a moisture barrier in the short term ...till you have it back on the bike and filled with petrol !!

TIP: while you have the "stew" inside the tank...place the tank above a suitable plastic box..like a storage box..just in case any of the drain holes leak.

Tip 2 : Keep the soup you drain out...filter it back into your containers...for future use. This is the fourth time I have used the same batch :grin: so possible less then 5 euro to do a tank. If you need to dump the soup....find a drain (toilet ?) and off you go. Its not harmful.

Ronnie
- - - - -
- - - - -

#50 Post by Ronnie » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:53 pm

I've left it in too long a few times as well! At least twice!

Well it sounds interesting. I think i'll try it on an old tank. :razz:

garfield
- - - - -
- - - - -

#51 Post by garfield » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:17 pm

So I managed to take her out for a couple of short shakedown runs without the air box or ears fitted and happy to say all went well. Engine is pulling strong (within run-in limits), gearbox slick, and handling was spot on once I got the tyre pressures correct.....in fact so far I would say it feels better planted the the RG500.

Today I cursed and swore repeatedly as the air box and ears were fitted, following a step by step set up of the carbs , ypvs and oil pump. All went well there....the only adjustment required was the correct setting of the sliders at tick over. Off I went for another run, and could feel a drop in power and "snappiness" ....and once back at base I noticed the upper right cylinder is running cooler then the rest ? So a little investigation will be required there.....any pointers would be appreciated.

All that said....it got me thinking of K&N's or an equivalent to replace the stock air box and ears. All info on mods here would be appreciated ?

....AND....all that said....pipes....I want to hear crackle and lose weight :shock: ....I would like to keep the standard exits and pipe runs...AGAIN...anyone been down the route of filters and pipes...with a system that was well matched without toooooo much messing around. ?

garfield
- - - - -
- - - - -

#52 Post by garfield » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:44 am

220 Kms covered now. :???:

Upper right cylinder comes and goes despite checking and swapping plugs.
It seems to foul on this one along...although if I give it a handful it does clear itself and carries on normal.

Engine has used about 100 ml of engine oil in the 220kms so far covered.
Would this be considered normal during the run-in. ?

aaronmvrider

#53 Post by aaronmvrider » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:02 pm

do a compression test and check for fuel issues.... jets or stuck floats ???

are they new crank seals ??? leaking ???
my rides
rz 500 1984
2 x rz 350 1984
mv agusta f4 1000 2004