My Project - RZ5???

Got a customizing or restoration project? Post your progress pictures and updates here

Moderator: rztom

adr1an
- - - - -
- - - - -

My Project - RZ5???

#1 Post by adr1an » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:27 am

Finally got round to posting some progress on my RZ. Thanks to everyone's postings that have given me many ideas.
Basically, R6 rear end (thanks to RGV Steve) and R1 2006 front (thanks to Smurph). Lomas pipes with 2006 R6 bodywork to fit. Couldn't decide what bodywork to use, then got a great deal on KR painted pattern plastics. Tail took a bit to fit up, next I have to fit the fairing.

lgyee4
- - - - -
- - - - -

#2 Post by lgyee4 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:28 pm

Wow, that is very cool!
1985 RZ 350
1985 RZ 500
1992 WR 200

rzatch
- - - - -
- - - - -

#3 Post by rzatch » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:20 am

What are you planning to do with the servo motor?

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#4 Post by Smoker » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:26 am

The tail section looks great!! :smt007

What about the heat from the upper pipes? You going to wrap them, or anything?

adr1an
- - - - -
- - - - -

#5 Post by adr1an » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:13 am

Thanks for the interest. All advice welcomed.

I'll keep the servo motor in the same area. Not finalised that yet, but it obviously needs to clear the larger body of the R6 swingarm.

As for the exhaust pipes, I'll have some heat shields to make up to protect legs and plastics. I'll use some tape and / or mesh or perforated shields where appropriate. I don't want to lag the pipes as this can have a detremental effect on welds I believe and doesn't look the best. I want to show off the pipes!
The rear mountings for the upper Lomas pipes allow them to rotate along their length (not too clever) and touch the frame, so I will need to restrain those and ensure I get as much distance between them and the plastics.

Still a bit of R&D to do there.

smurph
- - - - -
- - - - -

#6 Post by smurph » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:31 am

Looking good Adrian!!!

I really doubt you will have a heat issue with the plastic unless the pipes actually touch it. Those pipes will be unshrouded enough to keep them cooler than the stockers.

Steve
Fuel Injected RZ350

Jordi YZR500
- - - - -
- - - - -

#7 Post by Jordi YZR500 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:41 pm

Awesome mate! I'm impatient to see it finished! :D :D :D
AKA: Jordi RS 250

trix
- - - - -
- - - - -

#8 Post by trix » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:59 pm

Adrian, that looks awesome and is exactly what I'd like to do. Its like the bike on the SM portugese website.

I have an R1 front end and an R6 swinger with R1 wheels front and rear.
I have jolly moto gp pipes and I really like the idea of showing off the upper pipes like you have done.

Is that an r1 or an r6 seat unit? What year? Can you share with us how you fitted it so far? Di you have to make a new subframe?.

trix
- - - - -
- - - - -

#9 Post by trix » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:05 pm

...sorry I see it says 2006 R6 seat unit in your post.
How much work was required to fit it?

adr1an
- - - - -
- - - - -

#10 Post by adr1an » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:45 pm

Hi Trix,
It's an R6 replica body kit, like the one's you see on e-bay out of Hong Kong. I actually got a good deal on it from a guy here in Oz who must have imported a few of them. The colours (KR) were the only one he had and that suits me fine.
Fitting the tail was a cut, fit, cut another bit, fit etc etc exercise as you only have one go, so it took a long while to get it right. I also made a number of prototype brackets to mount the whole thing, which I made from aluminium as it is easy to craft. I'm happy with them now so I'll get the final set made in thicker ally or steel.
Mounting the seat is the key to it all, getting the position right, so I think that is ok now and all of the riders weight is carried on the main frame.
I've done away with the original subframe as you probably have guessed and have made a tray which bolts inside the existing frame members and back into the tail. This adds some rigidity to the tail, gives me something to mount the rego plate off and gives you somewhere to store your sandwiches, or in my case, probably an ally oil tank. I can get over 2 litres in there, otherwise I'll get a non-standard battery in there.
I'm starting to mount the fairing at the moment, which looks good at first fitting, but I don't want to rush it. Measure xx times, cut once!!!
I'll post a few pics over the weekend.
They're predicting +40 deg here, so it's too hot to ride. Ah well.............

wolfgangh
- - - - -
- - - - -

#11 Post by wolfgangh » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:11 pm

Hi Adr1an,
may I ask if the replica body kits from Hongkong are good quality? I am looking for OEM style bodywork for my TZR250 3XV and sometimes they do show up on ebay from Hongkong. Although shipping to Europe is almost as expensive as the bodywork...

adr1an
- - - - -
- - - - -

#12 Post by adr1an » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:15 pm

Hi Wolfgangh,
I'm suprised by how good the quality is. The fit requires a little bit of adjustment, mainly due to overspray as they are both painted and clearcoated, so a little bit of sanding on some of the connecting joints is required and a few holes need to be opened up. I'll add some adhesive to some of the lugs and tabs as a 'just in case', but they generally look fine. Screwing into the plastis feels ok, it's not too hard or brittle. Yes, the originals are better, but if well fitted, not by much and for the money these are great. Fortunately, I got mine for about $550 Australian delivered from a supplier in Oz, so for that price and the KR paintwork, I thought I would give it a go.

adr1an
- - - - -
- - - - -

#13 Post by adr1an » Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:03 am

[img]http://i368.photobucket.com/albums ... .jpg[/img]
First fitting of the R6 fairings
I've done a bit of trimming, mainly to the upper side panels to allow a closer fit around the elephants ears
[img]http://i368.photobucket.com/albums ... jpg[/img]
Unfortunately the tails of the lowers had to go to make way for the exhausts, they still need tidied up.
A little more trimming and then I can make some mounting brackets to pull the fairing tight into the bike. Now who's got a nutsert tool?
Patented gorgonzola ally bracket let me get the height and pitch of the nose and fairing ok. Now I can make up a proper one.
It's a pretty good fit, Dzus fasteners are a must when fitting up the fairing. Makes the job a lot easier.
ITS BEER O'CLOCK NOW!!

stevef

#14 Post by stevef » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:16 am

That looks awesome, looks like there are some great looking RZ's in sydney.What type of clipons are they, they are just what i am looking for. Any chance on some info and price thanks. Steve

adr1an
- - - - -
- - - - -

#15 Post by adr1an » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:35 am

Hi Steve,
They are Italian and it begins with an M. I can't remember the name at the moment. I bought them in a clearance at Procycles in Hornsby $100, normally $270. Nice to have that adjustability.
Adrian