Ade Sym Terry Shepherd Bike Project

Got a customizing or restoration project? Post your progress pictures and updates here

Moderator: rztom

Ade SYM

Ade Sym Terry Shepherd Bike Project

#1 Post by Ade SYM » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:01 pm

Hi All,

Just brought and collected this bike today.

http://www.rzrd500.com/500phpBB3/viewto ... ard#p79916" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It has had a few further modifications since this picture and now has a cradle fitted along with a battery box, and the frame has generally had improvements and tidied up. The reason i brought it is that it has some very nice parts on it and i am considering stripping it to use all the parts on a 3MA converted frame but the more i look at the shepherd frame the more i think i can make this bike look pretty good with a strip down, painting, a nice painted set of front fairings and some other nice parts added. Unsure what to do and i am hopeful you may give me a little inspiration in this area? If i do go with the 3MA i will use the engine, wheels, brakes and maybe the fork legs and then make the remainder of the frame, carbon tank, self supporting seat , Swingarm, exhaust etc available to somebody else. Any ideas or thoughts are welcome.
Many Thanks
Ade
Last edited by Ade SYM on Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ron57
- - - - -
- - - - -

Re: ade sym Terry Shepherd Bike

#2 Post by Ron57 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:45 pm

Hi Ade
That will be a hard decision this bike is a one of. Looks fantastic, reminds me of the old days when the race teams bought a motor and built there race bike around it.
Cheers Ron.

Dubsey
- - - - -
- - - - -

#3 Post by Dubsey » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:16 pm

dry clutch, no kickstart , beef up frame , fit fairing bwaarrrpppp
Mediocrity is a sin !

Questo vecchio rz

#4 Post by Questo vecchio rz » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:48 am

I'm personally not a huge street fighter fan, but to me that profile is begging to be adopted that style.

But for certain with a RZ350 style bikini 1/4 fairing, a shorter tail section, the exposed, hung motor & pipes with that highly polished beam look frame & swingarm..Im thinking it could be a pretty wild looking ride.

A stock RZ500 or RZV without a Thick Aluminum frame, I not sure can pull off a street fighter look, Your bike could in spades.

Just thinking outside the box,as everyone does fully faired race replicas, dare to chart the less sailed seas?
Banshee (Baja) Full Tilt desert race bike
Royal Enfield 500
96 GSXR SRAD, Future Yoshimura TT-F1 Lucky Strike rep.
85 custom Tri-Z
RZ421/YZR track bike(project)
86 VFR750 Flying Fred Merkel replica (project)

Ade SYM

#5 Post by Ade SYM » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:12 pm

Dubsey wrote:dry clutch, no kickstart , beef up frame , fit fairing bwaarrrpppp
Hi Dubsey,
Slight issue is where do you get a dry clutch kit from now days?
Been waiting for our friend on the forum to make his available after advising there was one saved for me but gone really quite for the last 6 months and heard nothing from him.

Getting a few pictures from Steve Jackson of the TS Bike today so it may give me the inspiration to use the existing frame but lets wait and see.

How's the leg coming along? Heard yo have been ridings at a few tracks recently...?

Ade

RC45
- - - - -
- - - - -

#6 Post by RC45 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:30 pm

Ade, don't feel to bad about considering that bike as a parts source - the moment the frame was hacked up to accommodate the kick-start any Terry Shepherd heritage was pretty much stripped away.

Any pictures of the bike in the original intended configuration?
CBR1000RR SP2 HRC WSBK
TZ500V/OW53 Track bike
YZR500 OW81 Clone
OW69 Daytona 200 Replica - 784cc Monster
NS400 Track Bike
RS250R NF5
TZ250T 2KM
TZ250B 3YL
TZR250 3MA Track Bike
427ci C5 Z07

Dubsey
- - - - -
- - - - -

#7 Post by Dubsey » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:40 pm

Ade SYM wrote:
Hi Dubsey,
Been waiting for our friend on the forum to make his available after advising there was one saved for me but gone really quite for the last 6 months and heard nothing from him.

Getting a few pictures from Steve Jackson of the TS Bike today so it may give me the inspiration to use the existing frame but lets wait and see.

How's the leg coming along? Heard yo have been ridings at a few tracks recently...?

Ade
Hi Ade

leg is coming on slowly, but still have it , arm 80% now , Back/spine 90% so on the mend
was out at Brands GP and Donnigton, Jessica started the bike and mates put me on it, was great to be out on the mistress although I couldn't move around on it and stopping was interesting
If you have a clutch cover we may be able to work something out for my dry clutch :)
Mediocrity is a sin !

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#8 Post by Smoker » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:01 pm

Ade SYM wrote:Been waiting for our friend on the forum to make his available after advising there was one saved for me but gone really quite for the last 6 months and heard nothing from him.
May have something to do with this post:
WVWRZ500N wrote:I'm curious how many hours/miles one of these kits has seen before production began?
A lot of good parts suppliers have left this forum and the 350 forum because of criticism and negativity.

Ade SYM

#9 Post by Ade SYM » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:22 pm

Dubsey wrote:
Ade SYM wrote:
Hi Dubsey,

Ade
Hi Ade

leg is coming on slowly, but still have it , arm 80% now , Back/spine 90% so on the mend
was out at Brands GP and Donnigton, Jessica started the bike and mates put me on it, was great to be out on the mistress although I couldn't move around on it and stopping was interesting
If you have a clutch cover we may be able to work something out for my dry clutch :)
Hi Mark - PM Sent - Ade

Ade SYM

Re: Ade Sym Terry Shepherd Bike Project

#10 Post by Ade SYM » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:14 pm

I have decided that this bike needs to be completed as too much work has gone into it to use as parts.
The bike has been stripped and i have had a really good look at it and all of the parts and so the reason to take it forward as a project and not to use as spares for a 3MA project.

I think this is the best for it as a few of you have suggested finishing it and getting it looking as it should. with this in mind i will be keeping the frame and adding a little more strength to it and also the Swingarm as it looks really nice with exceptional welding on it.

I will add a few pictures of it as it comes along but i am hoping this one can be done quickly, but lets see!
Will be starting at the end of December once work has cooled off a little!

Thanks

Ade

jackson.40

#11 Post by jackson.40 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:32 pm

Hi Ade

Very pleased you are going to complete this bike :cool:

Having seen this bike and trick parts it has i am looking forward to the end result

Steve

Ade SYM

#12 Post by Ade SYM » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:01 pm

Well started a little earlier than thought.

The engine is stripped and sent away to Daz on the forum for a rebuild.

The frame has had a scotch bright wheel on it to take all the rashes it has picked up over the years. It has now gone away to have further welding to offer strength where the frame has been cut away and i have managed to get it booked in with the Swingarm to the powder coaters. The exhausts have had the same treatment and again are away being re-treated with a heat resistant powder coating. Advised that these will be back before Christmas so may get some time to start to pull it together over the holiday period.

Looking for a shock at the moment and have identified that a Triumph 675 one will fit well with the current shock linkage so just trying to find a race one to fit. Managed also to clean up a lot of the parts and the AP Calipers have come out very nice. The carbs are next to go in the ultrasonic cleaner and then they can be rebuilt. Will start the painting and refurbishment of all the other parts soon.

Will get a few pictures when everything comes back.

Ade

BigGuy
- - - - -
- - - - -

#13 Post by BigGuy » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:31 am

Looking forward to seeing it Ade, thanks for sharing your adventure with us!
Shake "N" Bake!

fast wooly

#14 Post by fast wooly » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:11 pm

So glad to hear that you are going to re-build it mate,looking forward to seeing it running again,let me know when you want a loom making!

Ade SYM

#15 Post by Ade SYM » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:23 pm

fast wooly wrote:So glad to hear that you are going to re-build it mate,looking forward to seeing it running again,let me know when you want a loom making!
Hi

Good to hear from you.

I think it will be ready for the loom at the end of January so i will be in touch to firm up plans once i have it some where near on the build front. Sent everything away for powder coating etc. and hope to have it all back prior to the Christmas break so can have a couple of days on it. Your right only one option and that was to finish it off and make a very nice bike out of it.

Have a great Christmas

Ade