BMW Double R Festival COTA. RSV4 and my RZ

Got a customizing or restoration project? Post your progress pictures and updates here

Moderator: rztom

pstamper
- - - - -
- - - - -

BMW Double R Festival COTA. RSV4 and my RZ

#1 Post by pstamper » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:35 am

This was a special event at COTA with the help of BMW and Nate Kern. Was a great event with smaller groups of maybe 25 to 30. The event was to give back to the ridering community and especially the BMW 1000 RR guys. They had factory support to help set up the bikes for everyone and some really fast instuctors. Such as Corey West who broke the Daytona Speedway lap record.

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/cor ... -speedway/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Both days went super smooth with no class room instruction, just on track training with instructors due to smaller groups. Did not have time to take an RR out and it was also a controlled lap in level 1. They did bring the new BMW M4 GTS to the track and also 3 M3s that were set up for track They were doing hot laps at lunch. SOOOO much fun. Will post up the in car video. All in all was best track weekend I have had. Especially with John's help with RDs Only Texas for helping with tire warmers and stands. And yes John I admit this. He asked if fuel was good and I said yes I had added some Saturday. Well 2nd lap in I thought I broke the bike. Managed to get around the track thru the gate at pit in with assistance of the choke to find an empty fuel tank. That will never happen again. The new Pirelli Superbike slicks were awesome. Did not go faster as expected but ran consistent 2:49 to 2:54 all weekend. New Brembo master cylinders were also great. Cut my brake mark to 150 meters on back straight and not a single clutch issue. Kudos as always to Rick Lance. This is around the 18th day at COTA with the bike. Simply flawless.

VIDEO https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVaRacKIeIo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

M3 DRIFTING VIDEOS https://youtu.be/quo0JUXP4BE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Yx1EVq ... e=youtu.be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by pstamper on Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Rick Lance

Re: BMW Double R Festival COTA. RSV4 and my RZ

#2 Post by Rick Lance » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:45 pm

Stock cast Yamaha pistons turning 11k+ on stock pressed cranks with no welds? You Madcap! After 18 successful trackdays at a super-speedway like COTA, who would have thought that Wiseco's and crank welds would be so , umm, unnecessary?
That motor carburates perfectly, perhaps the only RZ that does.
If I disagree with everyone, that doesn't make me right. If I take the side of only one, it doesn't end the fight. If my position's strong enough from exposure to the light, you may see things my way when we share the same highway.

pstamper
- - - - -
- - - - -

#3 Post by pstamper » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:57 pm

The only vibration I had in the bike that was abnormal was Sunday when I ran out of gas. Will try larger sprocket if it fits. Anyone running a 17 front?

podman

#4 Post by podman » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:23 pm

Cracking, enjoyed that, great vids as usual.She certainly sounds fit.

pstamper
- - - - -
- - - - -

#5 Post by pstamper » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:53 pm

My better go pro had a bad micro sd card and would not work. Then youtube said video was shaky so I for once said try theirs and so all the bouncy captions. Thanks and the bike is running happy. One more track day right after Thanksgiving and hoping with holiday it will be as empty. Trying to get short video of what happens at a usual day track day. Will get a few pictures up also.

Questo vecchio rz

#6 Post by Questo vecchio rz » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:38 am

Rick Lance wrote:Stock cast Yamaha pistons turning 11k+ on stock pressed cranks with no welds? You Madcap!
Yep, amazing how hard you can treat a stock engine. Proves "all" naysayers completley wrong, I had a few RZ350s and logged probably 100,000 between them. My 1st w all original OEM pistions, crank was awesome.

I Rode that poor lil bike almost everyday, for easily 40,000 + miles. Regularly hitting maximum RPMs on everyride..everyday, easily hundreds of 15-50 mile sustained 100 mph freeway blasts w friends, 100s of street & strip dragraces. Ridden like a fool & crashed :smt018 abused at every altitude & every temp, rain or shine. One couldnt really be much harder on a poor motorcycle, and she ran pefect when I sold her. (never..ever broke down & never rebuilt, not even the topend!) flawless actually. Lucky? Perhaps but 3 out of 3 HMmmmmm!

When people say you "absolutley need" forged pistions or crank, I just roll my eyes as I've ridden far more than they ever will, & I know 1st hand just what a great little motor that was.

(Not saying that welded cranks & forged pistions dont have their place) but Its hard to convince me that I would need anything else after my experiences, it survived just as good & reliable stock.. as my built to maximum SPEC2 motor, which also logged 30,000+ miles under same conditions.

Those two bikes hands down the most reliable and the most fun machines, I'll ever know in this life.

Awesome racetrack, that COTA. Looks like alot of fun. Ride em until you cant get on em anymore!
Banshee (Baja) Full Tilt desert race bike
Royal Enfield 500
96 GSXR SRAD, Future Yoshimura TT-F1 Lucky Strike rep.
85 custom Tri-Z
RZ421/YZR track bike(project)
86 VFR750 Flying Fred Merkel replica (project)

pstamper
- - - - -
- - - - -

#7 Post by pstamper » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:46 am

They are reliable. I run good quality VP MS98 race gas. Klotz snowmobile injection oil. Champion spark plugs. There is very little oil splatter to clean after the first run. A lot comes down to Rick's carb work and recommendation on how to ride the bike. The extra radiator helps also. I will find an old video and let you compare the throttle control and downshifting. Still working on the downshifting to be more efficient on the engine. I need to trust the brakes and tires and just carry more speed into the corners. Still have unused tire on the front. I will be taking body work off this weekend and cleaning and inspecting and will pull plugs out. All the liter guys and instructors were surprised at the performance and handling since it was the first time with this group.

One young guy came up and gave me a jab saying it smelled like Kentucky Fried Chicken. All I did was laugh and thought to myself, if you were smelling it you must of been behind me. One more track day the end of month. Will see what the weather does.
COTA is incredible and with F1 there the weekend before grip was fantastic. And the M3 rides were a blast.

RC45
- - - - -
- - - - -

#8 Post by RC45 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:45 pm

Nice ride along video :)
CBR1000RR SP2 HRC WSBK
TZ500V/OW53 Track bike
YZR500 OW81 Clone
OW69 Daytona 200 Replica - 784cc Monster
NS400 Track Bike
RS250R NF5
TZ250T 2KM
TZ250B 3YL
TZR250 3MA Track Bike
427ci C5 Z07

pstamper
- - - - -
- - - - -

#9 Post by pstamper » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:11 pm

HOW NOT TO RIDE A 500. These videos makes me cringe every time I downshift. Ouch. Thanks Rick for being patient.

COTA 2014 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9pr5CdbXBo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; And lap time were around 3:15.

And even worse, my street bike 2011 Barber Motorsports Park. Go mid way to save the pain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hWv1GKiHhw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

pstamper
- - - - -
- - - - -

#10 Post by pstamper » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:00 pm

Preview pick if it works. The photographer was great.

http://www.etechphoto.com/2016/Motorcyc ... /i-9q3G77Q" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

silverstrom
- - - - -
- - - - -

#11 Post by silverstrom » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:24 pm

Great pics. Looks like you were having fun.

RC45
- - - - -
- - - - -

#12 Post by RC45 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:06 pm

Love that photo.
CBR1000RR SP2 HRC WSBK
TZ500V/OW53 Track bike
YZR500 OW81 Clone
OW69 Daytona 200 Replica - 784cc Monster
NS400 Track Bike
RS250R NF5
TZ250T 2KM
TZ250B 3YL
TZR250 3MA Track Bike
427ci C5 Z07

pstamper
- - - - -
- - - - -

#13 Post by pstamper » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:13 pm

That was a great shot. Looking forward to all the images. Guy was awesome on pictures. That one might become a poster.

silverstrom
- - - - -
- - - - -

#14 Post by silverstrom » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:41 pm

I like this one http://www.etechphoto.com/2016/Motorcyc ... -bN77fZ2/A" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

pstamper
- - - - -
- - - - -

#15 Post by pstamper » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:40 am

Watching game. That is same corner ass the pass. Turn 7. Passing on outside was easy on the bike as long as other guys stayed on line. Passed two at one time in earlier session