My New RZV500 Introduction

Got a customizing or restoration project? Post your progress pictures and updates here

Moderator: rztom

Questo vecchio rz

Re: My New RZV500 Introduction

#16 Post by Questo vecchio rz » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:05 am

Heres a article I remembered with some really good information. http://www.sportrider.com/motorcycle-ti ... rison-test" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This falls into the category of "Do as I say, not as I do". Yes, cheap tie down work, I must admit I've used them literally a thousand times on cargo/freight & less often bikes but they dont last and they always need adjustment and had many fail, luckily never with a bike. The cheap ones are really crap...pot metal, very thin material, sun/water damage and tear easily etc..while if used properly, not often and double wrapped for slippage they should be okay, but superior quality versions are much more durable and trustworthy. Seriouslly, if you drive alot and have not noticed orange tie downs lying on the highway...you will now :smt002

I'd never use cheapo "orange" versions on a RZV, some may think the bikes are not that rare & values are inflated, but current trends are showing naysayers completley wrong. Hell, even nice low mileage 350s are regularly approaching 10k.
Your bike is part of holding onto ones youth and thats just F-ing priceless lol!
An ounce of prevention IMO better to just but a quality set & give yourself all available benefits, its just cheap insurance. Whats a xtra $30 bucks weighed against a 15k vintage bike w sentimental value?
The article has some great options! Especially to avoid paint damage & scuffing.
Banshee (Baja) Full Tilt desert race bike
Royal Enfield 500
96 GSXR SRAD, Future Yoshimura TT-F1 Lucky Strike rep.
85 custom Tri-Z
RZ421/YZR track bike(project)
86 VFR750 Flying Fred Merkel replica (project)

gpaddict

#17 Post by gpaddict » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:20 am

Buy Ancras, period, end of story!!!!!

D6lc

#18 Post by D6lc » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:42 pm

Lots of discussions on straps, to be clear the straps I had didn't fail/break. The wheel chock detached/came loose from the trailed (Both rented). I had used them before without problems but after this experience will sort out my own wheel chock system, lesson learned.

As mentioned I rode it yesterday, it rode great but is in need of a refresh and tidy up, as mentioned the damage luckily was minimal, but it will be getting a full repaint this winter. Here are some pics.

Questo vecchio rz

#19 Post by Questo vecchio rz » Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:01 pm

Mr. As you know..That is one sweet looking machine.

There are only a handful of machines that ever came out of Japan that looked as good brand new.
Beyond being a 500cc 2 stroke it is (the graphics that actually take top billing to make the machine what it is)

Without the paint & graphics...its just another bike.
Banshee (Baja) Full Tilt desert race bike
Royal Enfield 500
96 GSXR SRAD, Future Yoshimura TT-F1 Lucky Strike rep.
85 custom Tri-Z
RZ421/YZR track bike(project)
86 VFR750 Flying Fred Merkel replica (project)

pstamper
- - - - -
- - - - -

#20 Post by pstamper » Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:02 pm

Looks sweet. Plastics can be repaired with patience. Stock breather of some type of air filters?

D6lc

#21 Post by D6lc » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:35 pm

looks to all be stock other than the pipes