Streetfighter RZV Roller

Got a customizing or restoration project? Post your progress pictures and updates here

Moderator: rztom

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

Re: Streetfighter RZV Roller

#346 Post by Smoker » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:47 pm

Jeff B wrote:
Smoker wrote:
Ron- A titanium swingarm would be cool, but I (almost) never replace an aluminum part with titanium. I thought for a long time about a real Bimota copy using chrome-moly tubing bolted to the aluminum plates, but just don't have enough confidence in a one-off bolted swingarm. If things go well, I'll be copying the RZ500 pivot bush/collar in titanium.
Have you considered magnesium?
Nope. It's hard enough getting parts made from titanium. Larger machine shops want nothing to do with my one-off projects. Too much set-up time and labor for not enough profit. I need to go to small shops that are willing to do my projects in their downtime.

Also, hard enough to find titanium pieces that I can afford. I've been all over the custom bike websites for years, and don't ever recall even one custom magnesium part being fabricated.

I'm definitely curious what it would be like to ride a full magnesium bike. Nothing would be lighter.

Could also make a spectacular fire, if I crashed it! :smt003

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#347 Post by Smoker » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:29 pm

"postimg.ORG domain is locked by Registry, no prior notice."

Pics might be gone, for good.

I'll do my best to fix them.

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#348 Post by Smoker » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:13 am

4 things I don't like about the R6 conversion swingarm:
Doesn't match the frame (style).
A lot heavier than the OEM arm.
Longer than the OEM arm.
Most common RZ500 swingarm conversion. Not original/unique.

So, now I'm trying to design a round tube Bimota style swingarm, which also doesn't match the frame style.

Thinking it might be possible to make the swingarm axle/chain adjuster plates in the same style as the center section of the RZV frame. It's 1 inch thick and even more cut out on the back side, than the front side, for lightness. Hoping that it's possible.

Would probably need to modify the frame for clearance, but I wanted to do it anyway, so upper/rear pipes can fit inside the frame, instead of outside.

Sideways pic of the frame for a better visual.

Jeff B

#349 Post by Jeff B » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:29 pm

Smoker wrote:
So, now I'm trying to design a round tube Bimota style swingarm, which also doesn't match the frame style.

I'm assuming you are looking at one of these style swingarms. The second one could probably be done in rectangular tubing which should match the frame style better.

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#350 Post by Smoker » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:18 pm

Yeah, similar to the DB7 style. Probably larger billet side plates, though.

Rectangular tubing would match the frame better, but only have access to round tubing dies at the moment.

I think it's going to be okay, though. I want the bike to have some streetfighter attitude. :mrgreen:

BigGuy
- - - - -
- - - - -

#351 Post by BigGuy » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:58 am

Smoker wrote:4 things I don't like about the R6 conversion swingarm:
Doesn't match the frame (style).
A lot heavier than the OEM arm.
Longer than the OEM arm.
Most common RZ500 swingarm conversion. Not original/unique.
I agree with some of your points Pete. I am in the (long) process of building my RZ and the swingarm is one of the first things I got going on. I did some reading on here and seen that most guys use the R6 arm. I piced one up on ebay for very little and sent it over to RGVSteve. He did a grate job on it and was an awesome guy to deal with! Now that I have it on my frame however I think it just doesn't "look" right with my RZV frame? It's a functionally fine swingarm but? I kinda wished I went with the 99-02 R6 arm? I know they require more bracing and work to make fit but I feel they look the part a little more.

Oh, and yes they are F%*king heavy!
Shake "N" Bake!

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#352 Post by Smoker » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:21 pm

@BigGuy- Had to look up that arm to see what it looks like.

Yep. That arm is about as good a match as I've seen.

If I had known, at the time, I probably would have chosen it over the R6 arm. I'm just learning as I go, and I felt safe with the R6 arm because so many guys use it.

One good thing is, an RGVSteve modified swingarm shouldn't be too difficult to sell. He does good work, and the arm is a proven mod for street and track.

If things don't go well with the custom arm, I'll stick with the R6 arm. It's still a bad-ass arm, with nice aftermarket parts available.

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#353 Post by Smoker » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:06 am

Hopefully, by now you guys know I'm always serious about completing my ideas. Often, it takes me a long time, but I always try.

Not sure what the final custom swingarm will look like, yet. Thought I knew, but now debating about a girder-type swingarm.

Will depend on Sebspeed's capability and preference. Discussing something like this, gullwing shape on the right, no added bracing, RZV frame pattern.

Just talking for the moment. If you guys have any suggestions, post or pm me.

BigGuy
- - - - -
- - - - -

#354 Post by BigGuy » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:27 am

Smoker wrote:@BigGuy- Had to look up that arm to see what it looks like.

Yep. That arm is about as good a match as I've seen.

If I had known, at the time, I probably would have chosen it over the R6 arm. I'm just learning as I go, and I felt safe with the R6 arm because so many guys use it.

One good thing is, an RGVSteve modified swingarm shouldn't be too difficult to sell. He does good work, and the arm is a proven mod for street and track.

If things don't go well with the custom arm, I'll stick with the R6 arm. It's still a bad-ass arm, with nice aftermarket parts available.
Ya, I kinda feel like a putz considering starting over on the swingarm solely based on what it looks like. I am basically completely done with that aspect of this project and now am considering restarting it? What's wrong with me??

Either way, if I look into my crystal ball I see that change happening, be it soon or after I get rest completed.
Shake "N" Bake!

ns86

#355 Post by ns86 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:19 pm

BigGuy, I am partial to the look of the 3XV sp arm or TZ250 and I also like the look of the MC21 arm for the RZV frame. Both have the angular look that complements the RZV alloy lines in my opinion. I don't like the 3XV rear caliper or the fact it's on the top side but minor mods make it like a TZ250 arm look's wise. A few members have used it and I have one for my RZV custom I am doing. MC21 even moreso but I don't like mixing different manufactures stuff on a bike. I personally don't like the lines of the 99-02 R6 arm but it's not my bike. Smoker, CNC girder type! I say go for it!
1985 RZ500
1986 RG500
1986 RG500 C
1992 RGV500 WW ATR
1992 RGV500 LS
1985 NS500 Spencer p
1989 TZR500 Biaggi p
1984 RZV500 Rainey p
1994 NSR250sp R
1983 NS250 p
1987 RG250 WW p
1983 RG250 p
1988 YSR50 p

BigGuy
- - - - -
- - - - -

#356 Post by BigGuy » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:13 pm

ns86 wrote:BigGuy, I am partial to the look of the 3XV sp arm or TZ250 and I also like the look of the MC21 arm for the RZV frame. Both have the angular look that complements the RZV alloy lines in my opinion. I don't like the 3XV rear caliper or the fact it's on the top side but minor mods make it like a TZ250 arm look's wise. A few members have used it and I have one for my RZV custom I am doing. MC21 even moreso but I don't like mixing different manufactures stuff on a bike. I personally don't like the lines of the 99-02 R6 arm but it's not my bike. Smoker, CNC girder type! I say go for it!

Thanks for the suggestions. I will look into those options. Good thoughts!

Pete, in my limited opinion the machined look of the "girder" type looks more the part on a street fighter bike. The round organic look of the tube swingarm would look out of place on the alloy frame. Just my 2 cents.
Shake "N" Bake!

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#357 Post by Smoker » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:28 pm

I agree about the girder swingarm.

If I would have thought about it up front, I could have bought that swigarm and BST wheel to fit- then modified the swingarm to fit the RZ500. Not confident that I could convert it to RZ500 and R6 fitment. Definitely don't know anyone that could one-off it.

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#358 Post by Smoker » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:01 am

Another sad day in the Smoker garage.

Just wanted the one-off titanium spacers lightened up.

Machine shop went overboard and now they're useless.

Can't believe how much money was wasted on these. Using the aluminum Brembo spacers, for now. Hopefully, can use these elsewhere on one of the bike projects.

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#359 Post by Smoker » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:38 am

Been thinking a lot about the custom swingarm.

If I knew more when I started, I wouldn't have chosen the same swingarm conversion as most.

I could have bought a girder swingarm and the proper BST wheel and accessories and asked RGVSteve to make it fit.

I agree the Aprilia girder swingarm shown is a nice match for the RZV frame. But 2 things now seem important to me.

1. It wouldn't be a custom swingarm. It's a modified arm from another bike.

2. I don't really want it to match too much. It should be obvious that the arm is custom, and not factory made.

Construction somewhat like this:

Might incorporate some triangles into the axle blocks, so it matches a little. Pretty much back to the original concept.

Would look very out of place with OEM bodywork. Won't be using any of the OEM plastic.

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#360 Post by Smoker » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:45 am

BigGuy wrote:
ns86 wrote:Pete, in my limited opinion the machined look of the "girder" type looks more the part on a street fighter bike. The round organic look of the tube swingarm would look out of place on the alloy frame. Just my 2 cents.
Should clarify that I meant the girder type matches the frame better.

But, in my opinion, the tube swingarm is definitely more "streetfighter".

That's what I meant by "streetfighter attitude."

Examples of swingarms that don't match the frame:

Another good example would be the RZ/RZV frame with the R6 swingarm. :smt003