Streetfighter RZV Roller

Got a customizing or restoration project? Post your progress pictures and updates here

Moderator: rztom

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

Re: Streetfighter RZV Roller

#331 Post by Smoker » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:58 am

Just a photo of an unknown aftermarket R6 hugger that shows how it should fit tight to the swingarm, and not stick out past the edge.

Last edited by Smoker on Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wolfgangh
- - - - -
- - - - -

#332 Post by wolfgangh » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:29 pm

Pete, you are a serious candidate for building the most exclusive ( and expensive) RZ500 project bike in mankind. Absolutely stunning and perfect in every smallest detail. What is your target for the dry weight?

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#333 Post by Smoker » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:06 pm

wolfgangh wrote:Pete, you are a serious candidate for building the most exclusive ( and expensive) RZ500 project bike in mankind. Absolutely stunning and perfect in every smallest detail. What is your target for the dry weight?
Thanks, Wolfgang. Means a lot to get approval from you. Just hope I can stay on track and follow through to complete the bike. But, I do have doubts about finishing.

With much help from you guys, I've learned a lot about building custom bikes - but I'm still a beginner. I say this because I'm not able to see the completed bike in my mind. I just modify one part at a time, and hope that eventually, I'll have a completely modified bike. But, without a plan - many problems can arise.

You, Alex, and Sebastian (sebspeed customs) are the builders I respect most. I can't build bikes like you guys, so I'm trying to find my own way to build something cool and different.

The biggest challenge for me is the tail swap and upper pipes. Without a tail swap, it's not very different from other RZ500s.

I'm not sure what the dry weight will be, and I have no goal. I always try to make my custom parts as light as possible, as a general rule. My bike won't be winning any awards for light weight, as long as it has the R6 swingarm. I bought it because it's proven, and the most popular swingarm swap, but now wish I could have a custom arm.

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#334 Post by Smoker » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:41 pm

Worked some more on the Chinese tank cover.

Been bending and filing metal, so the cover would stay on. Stays on now, but the fit still isn't good enough. No way will this type of cover ever fit properly on a standard RZ500 fuel tank.

Last edited by Smoker on Sun May 20, 2018 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#335 Post by Smoker » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:44 pm

Sending the new carbon hugger back on Monday.

Mounting hole center-to-center on the hugger is 150mm, on the bike it's 165mm.

No good. Got it from carbonfiberracing.com. :smt102

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#336 Post by Smoker » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:43 pm

There are definitely other things I should be working on, in order to finish the bike.

Yesterday, I was going to take a chunk of titanium to the machine shop to have a one-off kickstand bolt made. Prices are higher at the shop, now- so, first I spent a lot of time searching the internet to see if I could find a titanium kickstand bolt that would fit, or could be modified. Found some, nothing perfect. Maybe a company that makes them for other bikes would make it for me cheaper than my machine shop. Don't know yet, and will take even more time to find out. Did find some pretty wild stuff.

Don't know why, but started looking at titanium kickstand springs. Found this one, and couldn't let it go. Don't know what size it is, and don't think there are other sizes, but now- I have to find out. Of course, it's some remote shop in China. Will take more time to figure it out.

Last edited by Smoker on Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#337 Post by Smoker » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:54 pm

Now, it's getting crazy.

The R6 swingarm conversion is tried and true, and I've spent a lot of money and time getting mine done. But, because so many people have done it, it's not unique at all. But, at least it's done.

One of my favorite fabricators just built himself a tubing bender, and I started thinking again about a custom swingarm.

Pretty sure I've never seen a tubular swingarm on an RZ500. Would be awesome for a streetfighter style bike. I have some ideas, but it might be beyond my knowledge and experience to make it happen, even with help from a great fabricator. Could happen, though.

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#338 Post by Smoker » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:12 am

Well, been thinking about it. Just made some easy drawings with my phone and finger. :mrgreen:

Need to copy the chain adjuster/axle slots, caliper slot, and rear ID- so the same parts can be used. Probably the easiest way would be to make CNC plates and attach them to the tubes. CNC plates don't need to be the same shape. Plates would go to about here:

Axle/chain adjuster/caliper bracket slots don't look complicated:

Tubes would be about like this:

Would probably need a plate on the bottom for mounting the links:

Last edited by Smoker on Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ron57
- - - - -
- - - - -

#339 Post by Ron57 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:54 am

Hi Pete, Harris frames.
https://www.harris-performance.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers Ron.

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#340 Post by Smoker » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:36 pm

Hey, Ron! :smt006

Didn't see anything for the RZ500, but have no doubt they could make something custom. But, I'd rather not have to ship the frame or swingarm overseas. That was the issue with Metmachex, who I would use before Harris. Also, I consider Sebastian a friend, and having friends help with my bike means a lot to me. (You already know that.)

I'm actually fond of the RZV frame, although I've discussed the frame mods I would like. Sebspeed could probably do the frame mods, but I've kind of let that slip away, in the interest of time and possibly getting this bike finished.

It would be really cool to have a Bimota-esque swingarm. Not even sure I've seen a one-off swingarm on an RZ/RZV frame. Dare to dream!

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#341 Post by Smoker » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:44 pm

Well, Seb is in, if I want to pull the trigger.

Not asking about money. Don't even want to know right now. That can always kill a project. :mrgreen:

Thinking about it a lot this morning.

I've read that the chain can grind down the R6 chain guard pretty fast (and maybe into the arm). I think it's not bad using a larger front sprocket. Don't think it's an issue if we use an OEM size pivot tube. Been checking, and OEM internal parts are still available. The titanium pivot bolt I made will work, either way. Have to double check, but from SpeedFreak's diagram, looks like the OEM pivot tube is 40mm OD, which would work nicely with 1.5 inch OD tubing.

Will also measure the length, but pretty sure the R6 arm is 3-4 inches longer tham OEM. Might be good to shorten it, if the jig allows.

The upper brace on the R6 almost hits the frame, so would be good to lower the height of the brace, as well.

Ron57
- - - - -
- - - - -

#342 Post by Ron57 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:38 pm

Hi Pete was looking at exhausts came across this. Titanium swingarm.
https://www.facebook.com/performancefabrications" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers Ron.

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#343 Post by Smoker » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:16 pm

Ron57 wrote:Hi Pete was looking at exhausts came across this. Titanium swingarm.
https://www.facebook.com/performancefabrications" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers Ron.
Mark Dent is a master of pipe fabrication.

I would absolutely love to have him work on my projects... but I don"t want to ship my bikes half way across the planet.

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#344 Post by Smoker » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:27 am

Talked to RGVSteve for a good long time about swingarms today. When I mentioned Metmachex, he reminded me that Spondon is the place to go for a tubular swingarm. Very true, although when I was talking with Metmachex, it wasn't about a (round) tubular arm. Just throwing out info. The only person I want making my swingarm is Sebastian.

Ron- A titanium swingarm would be cool, but I (almost) never replace an aluminum part with titanium. I thought for a long time about a real Bimota copy using chrome-moly tubing bolted to the aluminum plates, but just don't have enough confidence in a one-off bolted swingarm. If things go well, I'll be copying the RZ500 pivot bush/collar in titanium.

Ordered the OEM parts from boats.net. Could have saved money ordering from Friendly, but boats is always faster.

Part# / Description
2C0-21650-00-00 REAR FENDER COMP. 1
47X-22129-00-00 COVER,THRUST 2
47X-22184-00-00 BUSH 1
90201-161J2-00 WASHER,PLATE 2
93320-32403-00 BEARING,CYL.#20 2

Hope I got the correct parts! :smt003

I got the R6 hugger because both carbon huggers I got didn't fit. Just want to make sure there's no problem with the swingarm before proceding.

There's no complete engine on the roller, so I'll have to mark the chain run using the rear sprocket. Also have an R6 chain guide/protector, which should help.

I've read before that the YPVS motor needs to be moved. Will need more info on that.

If any of you guys have advice or suggestions, please post or PM me. Thanks!

Jeff B

#345 Post by Jeff B » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:24 pm

Smoker wrote:
Ron- A titanium swingarm would be cool, but I (almost) never replace an aluminum part with titanium. I thought for a long time about a real Bimota copy using chrome-moly tubing bolted to the aluminum plates, but just don't have enough confidence in a one-off bolted swingarm. If things go well, I'll be copying the RZ500 pivot bush/collar in titanium.
Have you considered magnesium?