Streetfighter RZV Roller

Got a customizing or restoration project? Post your progress pictures and updates here

Moderator: rztom

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

Streetfighter RZV Roller

#1 Post by Smoker » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:53 pm

Been working on this lately, so I may as well post it up. The current plan is to build a modified RZV rolling frame.

I was contacted by someone with an RZV swingarm pivot bolt, and maybe I can use it to make a titanium version. That's why I started working on this.

Here's the frame. The aluminum is in good condition, but all the steel hardware is rusted out. And that is a problem.

All of the hardware is off, except the linkage bolt that goes through the frame and holds the relay arms. I soaked it in WD40 for 2 days and hit it with the impact gun about a hundred times.

Before trying to drill off the bolt head and pounding it out, I tried a breaker bar with a big extension pipe. The bolt didn't move, but I did manage to strip the hex nicely. So, I guess I need to break out the drill. Of course, the special bolt and special nut are 'no longer available' from Yamaha. :mrgreen:

Last edited by Smoker on Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

Re: Streetfighter RZV Roller

#2 Post by Smoker » Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:21 pm

Sweeeet! :rock:

Used a new 11.1mm bit on a hand drill and cut through that rusted bolt like butta!

When I previously tried to remove the nut, the head sheared clean off. The bolt is rusted from tip to tail.

Since the hardware is 'No Longer Available' l'll try to make a replacement bolt, collar, nut, and swingarm pivot bolt - out of titanium. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Smoker on Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

two-stroke-brit

#3 Post by two-stroke-brit » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:01 pm

Wonderful stuff Ti 8-) .
She might not be pretty but always a fun ride !!

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#4 Post by Smoker » Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:08 pm

two-stroke-brit wrote:Wonderful stuff Ti 8-) .
Well, steel hardware sucks ass!! :mrgreen:

I will only use titanium, aluminum or stainless hardware.

2smoke

#5 Post by 2smoke » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:42 am

I know you want Titanium, but did you notice this?

http://www.rzrd500.com/500phpBB3/viewto ... 10&t=10623
Colin

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#6 Post by Smoker » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:10 am

2smoke wrote:I know you want Titanium, but did you notice this?

http://www.rzrd500.com/500phpBB3/viewto ... 10&t=10623
Yeah, thanks for posting it, though.

If titanium doesn't work out - hopefully those will be available. But, I'd rather not deal with rusted out bolts in the future.

2smoke

#7 Post by 2smoke » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:33 pm

I have been thinking lately that a naked or streetfighter style is a very good idea for theses bikes.
They seem to spend a lot of time with the fairings off.
Any plans to share yet or keeping it a secret?
Colin

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#8 Post by Smoker » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:41 pm

2smoke wrote:I have been thinking lately that a naked or streetfighter style is a very good idea for theses bikes.
I always have a lot of ideas. The problem is getting them all done. :mrgreen:

I'm hoping that someday this roller will be a custom streetfighter, naked of course.

The plan is to build the roller. Then make custom pipes. Would love a one-piece carbon monocoque including tank cover (aluminum tank underneath).

Probably the only parts to steal from my RZ500 will be the engine, electricals, and licence plate.

It's very hard for me to say what will get done. The problem is, I don't have a reliable machine shop, welding shop, or mechanic to help me turn my ideas into reality.

I will say this - whatever does get done, will be interesting. :smt002

Blackshaheen

#9 Post by Blackshaheen » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:20 pm

Smoker wrote:The problem is, I don't have a reliable machine shop, welding shop, or mechanic to help me turn my ideas into reality.
Welcome to my life... :smt010

Good luck! Sounds awesome mate.

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#10 Post by Smoker » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:06 pm

2smoke wrote:I have been thinking lately that a naked or streetfighter style is a very good idea for theses bikes.
I just need to focus on building the rolling frame - but here 's my inspiration for this build.

One of the reasons I went to Philly was to meet and hang with Roman who is Full Of Hate Cycle Fab. If I can get this roller done, and the custom pipes done - I would love to ship it all to Roman in NJ for a custom carbon fiber unibody. Roman is my hero when it comes to builders of custom bikes.

Last edited by Smoker on Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#11 Post by Smoker » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:54 pm

Okay, well I ordered a Wilbers shock with the group buy guys. Can't have a roller without a shock.

The shock is ordered, but I'm not sure exactly what's going to arrive. The shock specs are type 641 290mm with -0/+10 ride height adjuster and 180nm/1028lb spring.

I don't know the capabilities or interest of Wilbers when it comes to custom work, so I went ahead and asked if they could do a bunch of stuff to the 641 type shock.

I searched for pics of Wilbers shocks and saw some interesting stuff. I saw one that was mostly blacked out with a white spring. Also saw one with a different type of compression adjuster housing, and another one with steel braided hose (clear cover). Also noticed different colored buttons on the compression adjusters.

I spent most of the little time I had measuring for the hose from the shock to the reservoir. I found it impossible to be accurate without the actual parts - so I gave up on that. Ted said it's no big deal to change the hose later. I may even do a custom hose myself, so I can use the banjos and bolts that I want.

I contacted Wilbers in Germany and asked for the entire exterior of the shock to be blacked out, custom powder coating (RAL 3028) on the spring, in-line type compression adjuster with red & blue buttons, black and red rebound adjuster, DLC (black) coating on the shock shaft, and a clear steel braided hose. Not sure how much they will be able to do.

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#12 Post by Smoker » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:30 am

If you want a custom shock, Wilbers is NOT the place to buy from.

So far, no steel braided hose and no in-line compression adjusters - even though they have done both in the past.

No DLC coating of the shock shaft - even though they offer it for fork tubes.

Not sure about the other mods I asked for.

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#13 Post by Smoker » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:48 am

Would like to buy the connecting rods that go from the shock to the frame.

Ref No. 10 & 11.

Part No. 47X-2217F-01 & 47X-2217G-01
Last edited by Smoker on Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rick Lance

#14 Post by Rick Lance » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:25 am

Drop me a note at <rick@lancegamma.com> and I will round up a set for you.
If I disagree with everyone, that doesn't make me right. If I take the side of only one, it doesn't end the fight. If my position's strong enough from exposure to the light, you may see things my way when we share the same highway.

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#15 Post by Smoker » Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:10 pm

Already 3 offers on the rear shock con rods. :mrgreen:

I'll get back to you guys right away.