Track bike progress

Got a customizing or restoration project? Post your progress pictures and updates here

Moderator: rztom

wolfgangh
- - - - -
- - - - -

Re: Track bike progress

#61 Post by wolfgangh » Mon May 11, 2015 8:02 am

Smoker: I will wrap all 4 pipes in the end, main reason was one of my electric water pumps sitting at the bottom between the the headers of the lower pipes.

Ronnie: good question, and I cant 100% claim that I am right.
I was lucky enough to stand in front of one of Wayne Rainey´s 1991 bikes when I visited Kenny Roberts and he showed me his private museum. I had some color samples from my local decal supplier with me and chose the one being really close to Wayne´s MARLBORO red.
Back home, I asked my paintshop to mix that color as close as possible, and they come up with RAL3024 (maybe it actually was 3026 - I will check again). It was too much orange as is, so painting on a red base matched the decals color perfectly. It is actually much brighter and much more orange in reality as it looks on the picture. It is similar to the dayglow red you see on some traffic pylons (not sure about the right english term - I mean these cones on road constructions)
For me - and I pretend to be a perfectionist - this color mix is as close as it can get.

Ronnie
- - - - -
- - - - -

#62 Post by Ronnie » Mon May 11, 2015 10:00 am

It is difficult to capture the fluorescence with a camera. I did have some success many years ago while experimenting with 35mm films. I've never really tried with digital cameras.
There is also a RAL2005 which is a full fluorescent orange, although I have yet to see it used.
The manufacturer labels them all as luminous, not fluorescent. I think they are right.
If you could find out from your painter which one he used that would be great.
Previously, I've used Reflex Red by Sikkens. It was slightly too red, but had excellent UV resistance. It's on the bike in my avatar which again, doesn't show any fluorescence and shows it darker than it actually is. It is still as bright nearly 30 years later. Lack of UV resistance is a common problem with these paints even when covered in a good quality UV protected clearcoat.

wolfgangh
- - - - -
- - - - -

#63 Post by wolfgangh » Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:35 pm

I thought I give you some update after a while. Did not make lot of progress lately, spent many evenings already with modifying the fairings to clear the dryclutch and pipes. Lots of work to create a mold for these "bubbles" first and then laminate into the fairings. I already have nightmares about the filling and sanding coming soon...

Also added a small air duct in front of the dryclutch on the R/H fairing to vent the clutch.

In between, I had my first ride after 10 years with my TZR250 3XV, now that the bodywork has been done in original graphics. It is an RS model with dry clutch and adjustable frontend. This thing is big fun!

vin97

#64 Post by vin97 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:56 pm

How big is the headlight of the TZR 250? Do you maybe have a pic of it?

wolfgangh
- - - - -
- - - - -

#65 Post by wolfgangh » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:40 pm

Hi Vin,
here is a pic of the headlight, I dont currently have the dimensions

vin97

#66 Post by vin97 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:20 am

Thanks for the pic!

Something for scale would be good enough. Or how does it compare to the RGV headlight for example? It's just really hard to judge given no references.

Dubsey
- - - - -
- - - - -

#67 Post by Dubsey » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:22 pm

vin97 wrote:Thanks for the pic!

Something for scale would be good enough. Or how does it compare to the RGV headlight for example? It's just really hard to judge given no references.
for a rough measurement use the width of the tyre :)

looking good Wolfgang, brave man cutting fairings :)
Mediocrity is a sin !

wolfgangh
- - - - -
- - - - -

#68 Post by wolfgangh » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:36 pm

vin97 wrote:Thanks for the pic!

Hello Vin, the headlight is 220mm wide and 85mm high.

best regards

Wolfgang

vin97

#69 Post by vin97 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:31 pm

Awesome!

Thank you very much for the effort.

pstamper
- - - - -
- - - - -

#70 Post by pstamper » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:58 am

Looked like you used the same plastic kit I used for body panel repairs. It is called Plastex here.

wolfgangh
- - - - -
- - - - -

#71 Post by wolfgangh » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:03 am

I did not use any plastic kit, I did it the old school way. Modelled a mold from foam and wood etc, filled and sanded it, made a negative mold from epoxy, and finally the positive with epoxy as well. A painful process but the results are satisfying. I need to do all the prep for painting now

wolfgangh
- - - - -
- - - - -

#72 Post by wolfgangh » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:13 am

Finally, my Rainey Replica track bike is completed. First track test will be Aug 17/18.
Pleased pray with me that the engine does not blow up after all these heavy modifications.

I dont like the layout of the lower pipes, they need to exit the fairing in a different angle. I will have JL to modify this

Here are some pics, together with the Costin-frames Abe replica.

rd84
- - - - -
- - - - -

#73 Post by rd84 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:21 pm

Fantastic work as always Wolfgang !

Best of luck with the testing.

Cheers
Paul

Ax-Racing

#74 Post by Ax-Racing » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:20 am

great bikes !
Alex

rich bullock

#75 Post by rich bullock » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:33 am

Two absolutely stunning bikes Wolfgangh. Have to say the Rainey bike is my favourite for no real reason other than the way the bike looks, the fairing and seat unit just look so right and the colour scheme is iconic.
Rich.
Rich B