Starting after 4 years covered up

Got a customizing or restoration project? Post your progress pictures and updates here

Moderator: rztom

Andrew
- - - - -
- - - - -

Starting after 4 years covered up

#1 Post by Andrew » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:44 am

So I got the urge the other day to see if my 500 would start up after sitting covered in the garage for the past 4-5 years.
My garage is heated over the winter months just to keep the rust at bay :idea: .
And over the years that it's been standing, it's had the basic storage maintenance kept up, thinks like removing the plugs, then using a 50:50 premix sprayed into the bores, the motor manually turned over a few times, a wash now and then, that type of thing.

So Sunday morning comes along, I wip the carbs off and give them a quick clean, changed the engin oil, checked the coolant, bought some new fuel :smt002 35:1 premix, cleaned up the old plugs.... put it all back together... and it started on the 4th kick.... Result!!!! One kick for each year :grin:

So I'm booking a MOT, giving it 6 months tax... and just hoping I've not missed all the good weather for this year.

Ade... when we going riding???

Don't know why, but this Iphone video take a few secs to load...
Andy (UK)
RZV500R
FRC
Faster Faster !!!

bolly
- - - - -
- - - - -

Re: Starting after 4 years covered up

#2 Post by bolly » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:56 am

opens up as a windows media player video but then won't play in windows media player no idea why as I don't know too much about computers :(

Ronnie
- - - - -
- - - - -

#3 Post by Ronnie » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:28 am

Worked fine for me! Sounds great. I was expecting to see the sidecar as well! :-)

Andrew
- - - - -
- - - - -

#4 Post by Andrew » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:31 am

Ronnie wrote:Worked fine for me! Sounds great. I was expecting to see the sidecar as well! :-)
The sidecar is under the blue covers you see outside the garage. Don't know about you Ronnie, but our Sunday was light rain the whole damm day! :smt011 Otherwise I'd have taken a 'late evening' smokey ride :smt003

It feels soooooooo small :cool:

Andy (UK)
RZV500R
FRC
Faster Faster !!!

Gary Papesh
- - - - -
- - - - -

#5 Post by Gary Papesh » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:56 pm

opens up as a windows media player video but then won't play in windows media player no idea why as I don't know too much about computers
I had problems with it too that way.
Right click on the picture, click "save target as" . This opens a box, allows you to select where to save it. Save it.
Then you can play it. I also tried to click on the picture after I saved it, and it played the video then too.
Hope this helps, Gary.
The man who dies with the biggest carbon footprint WINS !!!

Ade SYM

#6 Post by Ade SYM » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:33 pm

Andy,

Bike looks great and is working aswell!

Get an MOT and have a trip over to see me.

Mine is nearly on the road now.

Ade