Operation: MOSQUITO CONTROL BIKE - Florida RZ500 Project (52X)

Got a customizing or restoration project? Post your progress pictures and updates here

Moderator: rztom

TwoStrokeNut

#16 Post by TwoStrokeNut » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:47 pm

LET'S GET NAKED - THE BODY PANELS GET REMOVED...

I actually was somewhat dreading this step, fearing what I might find. But all-in-all, no big surprises were found (other than things already known).

The first thing I noticed when removing the lower fairing section was some riv-nuts would really make the removal and installation of the six screw much easier, especially on the middle two where the nuts are difficult to reach on the backside. So that goes on the wish list.

I knew the wiring really needed attention and when I pulled the front fairing off, I found the turn signals attached with wire nuts making it a difficult task to undo with one hand while holding the fairing with the other. Looking back, I guess I could have disconnected the wiring before removing the fairing fasteners, but oh well. Connectors need to be added here. Luckily, the headlight connectors unplugged easily (Oops, forgot to mark which one is high beam and which is low)

Here are a couple overall shots with the bike in all of its nakedness - I warned you, it isn't pretty.

One thing was explained when I removed the tail section. The exhaust wrap was basically worn through where it presses on the body panel, so that accounts for the extreme heat there. You can see the black spot on the inside of the tail where it was touching. New insulation is needed. I also would like to space the body panel away just slightly to get some airflow between there, but the tail doesn't like to be spread out very much. It seems even a 1/8" (3mm) gap would help tremendously.

One thing that did surprise me was that the rear lights and license plate are held completely by tabs on the silencers. There is no sub-frame back there, just a aftermarket aluminum weldment to support the tail right behind the seat. It was just extra weight anyway, right? :)

I found the corner of the battery cover to be slightly melted, so that will need to be sorted before a new battery goes in.

Under the tank was the two extra fuel filters that the PO had mentioned.

Yes, the wiring needs a little attention (well maybe a lot).

The rear shock appears to be in good shape.

I still need to figure out if the front fairing stay is bent. Obviously, some extra holes have been drilled in it, but the aftermarket fairing doesn't use them. Oh wait, that's probably were the stock mirrors would mount.

A shot of the Autolube pump and YPVS actuator.

There are two extra unused bullet connectors - does anyone know what they might be for? The PO told me the other two up by the headlight was for the nonexistent horn.

I'm not sure if the oil supply hoses had any kind of clamps on them from the factory, but I'm pretty sure cable ties weren't it.

And a few more random shots.

It's time to get to work, don't you think? I have quite a lot to do as you can see, but it will be fun. (and you need to keep reminding me of that when I'm about to pull my hair out! :))
Last edited by TwoStrokeNut on Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Project bike links: NS400R - TRIPLE THREAT // RZ500 - MOSQUITO CONTROL BIKE // RZ350 - REVIVAL
'72 H1-500/'75 H1-500/'85 RZ350/'85 NS400R/'01 DR650/'07 FJR1300/'18 Tiger 1200

QLDRZV500
- - - - -
- - - - -

#17 Post by QLDRZV500 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:28 am

:grin:

Please keep the pictures coming, just about to start to strip my RZ500 1GE and I will need inspiration!

TwoStrokeNut

Replies to comments

#18 Post by TwoStrokeNut » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:47 pm

QLDRZV500 - No worries, lots more pictures to come :). I will try to show all the details, even though it may be rudimentary for many members here. I am treating this as somewhat of a personal journal of my project, so all the little details that I want to remember will be recorded here. Unfortunately, my bike is somewhat of a mongrel so many things may not apply directly to a factory spec RZ/RD. But the intention is that others here will benefit from my sharing, whether it is through transmittal of technical information or strictly from an entertainment standpoint.

Good luck getting motivated on your project and please create a thread when you start tearing her down - I would love to see it. It will help in keeping me going as well.
Last edited by TwoStrokeNut on Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Project bike links: NS400R - TRIPLE THREAT // RZ500 - MOSQUITO CONTROL BIKE // RZ350 - REVIVAL

TwoStrokeNut

Master Service List

#19 Post by TwoStrokeNut » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:37 am

THE MASTER SERVICE LIST...

In my line of work, one of the very first things you do when starting a project is generate a list of tasks to be performed. It helps estimate the time and cost, and when it comes to starting the job, it keeps the workers focused and on track. It also helps identify all the materials needed to complete the job. For my personal projects like this, I tend to do the same thing. Of course, there's only one worker - me, but I need help focusing too sometimes. I will be working on this in my copious spare time, so a check list to pick tasks from to fit the available time slots comes in handy.

The initial inspections in previous replies were a perfect starting point for creating the list. Maintenance items were added and I sorted things to somewhat of an order of precedence for each section. Of course, tearing into one thing may generate a number of new tasks and they will be added when discovered.

I will create thread replies as items are completed to explain the repair/procedure and provide a link to it from here for easy retrieval. Lastly, this original list will be updated as I go so check back occasionally to see any additions.

SERVICE LIST

Phase 1 (Started 12-10-2012)

CHASSIS
Go to Repair C01 - Check brake pad condition and replace front/rear pads if needed.
Go to Repair C02 - Install extra heat insulation on top expansion chambers. (Parts)
Go to Repair C03 - Apply heat shield material to inside of body tail section and to heat shields under tank and seat.
Go to Repair C04 - Lube clutch lever and cable. Adjust.
Go to Repair C05 - Lube throttle cable and tube. Add missing return cable. Adjust. (Parts OEM 47X-26260-50)
Go to Repair C06 - Lube speedometer cable.
Go to Repair C07 - Lube swing arm pivots.
Go to Repair C08 - Add rivet-nuts to lower fairing.
Go to Repair C09 - Replace grips. (Parts)
Go to #1 or #2 C10 - Flush front brakes. (Fluids)
Go to Repair C11 - Lube brake lever.
Go to Repair C12 - Flush rear brakes. (Fluids)
Go to Repair C13 - Lube rear brake pedal.
Go to Repair C14 - Replace side stand spring with OEM spring and link. (Parts OEM 90506-29266 & 52X-27315-00)
Go to Repair C15 - Straighten windscreen support on left side.
Go to Repair C16 - Install chain guard. (Parts)
Go to Repair C19 - Replace boot at rear master cylinder pushrod. (Parts OEM-n/a)
Go to #1 or #2 C20 - Replace fork seals/wipers and change fork oil. (Parts FZR600) (Fluids)
Go to Repair C26 - General fuel tank clean up.
Go to #1 or #2 C27 - Add quick-disconnect fuel fittings and Flowrate check. (Parts)
Go to Repair C28 - Paint underside of tail section.
Go to Repair C29 - Rebuild rear brake master cylinder and caliper.
Go to Repair C30 - Handlebar (clip-on) cleanup
Go to Repair C31 – Add top mount for oil tank
Go to #1 or #2 C32 - Front brake hose guides and reflectors
Go to Repair C33 - Speedometer cable guide
Go to Repair C34 - Add bushings to bodywork mounts

ELECTRICAL
Go to #1 or #2 E01 - Replace battery and insulate box. (Parts)
Go to #1 or #2 E02 - Repair ignition switch. Maintain original key code if possible.
Go to Repair E03 - Have two new ignition keys cut to match original key. (Parts)
Go to Repair E04 - Lube turn signal switch.
Go to Repair E05 - Troubleshoot turn signal failure at high RPM (only working at low RPM).
Go to #1 or #2 or #3 E06 - Install new tail light. (Parts)
Go to #1 or #2 E07 - Install new wiring to tail and brake light. (Parts)
Go to Repair E08 - Install new wiring to rear turn signals. (Parts)
Go to Repair E09 - Install new wiring to front turn signals. (Parts)
Go to Repair E10 - Install horn. (Parts OEM-4L0-83371-30)
Go to Repair E11 - Move side stand switch to proper location.
Go to Repair E12 – Create mounts for electrical components. (Parts)

ENGINE
Go to Repair M01 - Repair choke. Pull rod is broken at cross-hole. Needs new lever. (Parts OEM-47X-14201-00)
Go to Repair M02 - Repair shift linkage. Install new rubber on foot lever. Adjust. (Parts)
Go to #1 and #2 M03 - Clean pilot jets to enhance low end power. General cleaning of carbs. Also fuel lines.
Go to Repair M04 - Check YPVS adjustment and lube cables.
Go to Repair M05 - Check Autolube pump adjustment.
Go to Repair M06 - Check air cleaner and replace element if needed (Parts)
Go to Repair M09 - Replace spark plugs (Parts)
Go to Repair M10 - Lube kick-starter.
Go to Repair M12 – Fuel valve repair
Go to Repair M13 – Engine Tuning (if needed)

Phase 1 Grand Total: US$923 (Completed 12-31-2018)

Phase 2 (Started 01-04-2019)

CHASSIS
Go to Repair C50 - Touch up paint on frame.
Go to #1 or #2 or #3 C51 - Add decals (RZ500, V4, YPVS). (Parts)
Go to #1 or #2 or #3 C52 - Replace round Yamaha logo on right side. (Parts)
Go to #1 or #2 or #3 C53 - Add pin-striping over white band. (Parts)
Go to Repair C54 - Add rear reflectors
Go to Repair C55 - Add quick-release to rear fuel tank mount
Go to Repair C56 - Install steering damper.
Go to Repair C58 - Replace rear brake line. (Parts)
Go to Repair C59 - Add tamper-proof bracket on Autolube oil fill cap
Go to Repair C60 - Modify gauge cluster mounts to straighten and secure it better
Go to Repair C61 - Refinish upper triple clamp
Go to #1 or #2 C62 - Add toolbox to hold documents and small tools
Go to Repair C63 - Check fuel tank cap vent and refinish (bought new cap instead)
Go to Repair C64 - Change lock coding to share one key
Go to Repair C65 - Add support for front brake reservoir
Go to Repair C66 - Add redundant fuel shutoff valve
Go to Repair C67 - Reshape foot of kickstand

ELECTRICAL
Go to Repair E51 - Repaint RH switchgear and add white lettering
Go to Repair E52 - Repaint LH switchgear and add white lettering
Go to Repair E54 - Align front turn signals with ground (Will not be done, fine as is)
Go to Repair E55 - Paint turn signal housings black

ENGINE
Go to Repair M07 - Replace transmission oil. (Fluids)
Go to Repair M08 - Replace coolant. (Fluids)
Go to Repair M14 - Replace Autolube oil. (Fluids)
Go to Repair M50 - Add coolant overflow recovery bottle. (Parts)
Go to Repair M51 - Decide if current cooling system is acceptable for my conditions. (Parts)
Go to Repair M53 - Repack lower silencers
Go to Repair M54 - Repack upper silencers
Go to Repair M55 - Polish silencer cans
Go to Repair M56 - Remove aging yellow clearcoat from kickstarter

Phase 2 Grand Total: $452 (Completed 11-11-2021)

Remaining Items

CHASSIS
C17 - Lube wheel bearings.
C18 - Lube steering head.
C57 - Build cover panel to hide fuse block in front fairing

ELECTRICAL
E50 - Clean up wiring to headlights
E53 - Remove redundant connector in tail wiring harness

ENGINE
M11 - Measure cylinder compression.
M52 - Fix dents in lower expansion chambers.

Okay, that's a good starting point and hopefully will cover most of it. It's time to roll up the sleeves and get started on this old girl. Now let's see - where did a lay that 10mm wrench?
Last edited by TwoStrokeNut on Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:20 am, edited 125 times in total.

w3a51l

#20 Post by w3a51l » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:14 pm

Christ alight! Here I am trying to negotiate shed space and funds and there you are with a seven foot long list of to do's.

Hook in mate, I'll catch up.

RZColinPaul
- - - - -
- - - - -

what are these wires.

#21 Post by RZColinPaul » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:55 pm

They are the signal lights. One is brown the other is ?.
colinpaul@rogers.com
RZ350 race bike
RZ500 stock
RZ500, TSI spec factory tune stage two,ported polished,JL pipes,28m Mikuni carbs,EB brakes, R6r front end, R6r swing arm, YZR fairing, V Force reeds, Olhin shock, Wasp Performance

TwoStrokeNut

#22 Post by TwoStrokeNut » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:07 am

w3a51l - Yes, the list is a bit intimidating, but I'll get there. I'm really looking forward to getting started. Don't get too far behind :)

RZColinPaul - Thanks for the help. I suspected those might be turn signal leads, but I didn't see a matching set in approximately the same location on the other side. Colors of the wires shown in the picture above are black and green, which matches the B and Dg shown on the wiring diagram. Now I need to find those illusive left side wires. The diagram shows those to be Black (B) and Chocolate (Ch) colored wires.

TwoStrokeNut

#23 Post by TwoStrokeNut » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:12 am

UNLIKE MY BIG WORKSHOP, SPACE IS LIMITED HERE...

I spend a majority of my wrenching time in my main workshop, The Asylum, which is about 45 miles (70 km) away, but this bike is just a fun little project I will be working on in my home garage.

Since the body panels will be off for a while, and likely to come off again occasionally in the future, I decided to rig up a way to store them out of harm's way. Luckily, I have fairly tall ceilings so hanging them seemed like the logical choice. A trip to the hardware store yielding all the little bits I needed, and that together with some unused nylon strapping got everything up and out of the way.

I can breathe easy now - ahhhhh!

Of course, it's not the only thing stored up there as the pictures show, so hopefully you won't see me in the newspapers someday buried under a pile of rubble from a collapsed ceiling. Even if I survive the initial collapse, I'm sure Mrs. TSN would finish me off after I ruined all her bikes in there :).
Last edited by TwoStrokeNut on Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TwoStrokeNut

#24 Post by TwoStrokeNut » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:44 pm

Service E02,E03 - Ignition Switch and Keys...

I received the bike with two ignition switches. The original one was giving the PO problems so he had purchased a replacement. Luckily for me, he hadn't tossed out the old one yet since the pigtail on the new one wasn't long enough to reach the main harness. So, he had the new one mounted in the proper spot un-connected, while the original one was temporarily mounted to the left of the fuel tank still plugged in and functioning. I say lucky, because had the new switch been a direct replacement, it's likely the old one would have been discarded. The old one had the matching key code to the helmet lock and fuel cap. The new one, of course, had an entirely different code and would have forced me to use two keys.

My goal was to keep the ignition, helmet lock, fuel cap (no seat lock in this case) keyed alike for convenience. Having the old ignition switch allowed me to take the key cylinder parts and contact plate (with soldered wiring harness) of the old switch and install them in the new housing, maintaining the coding of the original key and keeping a pigtail harness that was long enough to reach the main harness. The leftover parts will get tossed in my "electrical" spares bin for the next project.

I first had to drill out those pesky security screws before disassembling the old switch and scavenging the required parts. This was a matter of center-punching the head and basically drilling it off. Normally I would do this on the drill press but this odd shaped switch was just as easy to do with a hand drill and clamped to the bench.

Here's a shot of the disassembled switches (new on the left, old on the right)

And the "Frankenstein" switch back together. Of course, the job isn't done until a full continuity check is performed for the different switch positions.

Here is the switch installed. It functions fine now with the steering lock and nice crisp snap actions at the different positions, but I'm still not completely happy with the fit. I would prefer to have it concentric in the hole and to be flush with the top triple clamp, but I'll save that for a later day.

There's a local locksmith that does a great job with duplicating motorcycle keys and he always has the proper blanks for the job. Cost is US$3.50 each so I had him cut two extra so I can retire the mangled original key.

E02,E03 Total Cost: US$7.00 (Key duplication)
Last edited by TwoStrokeNut on Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TwoStrokeNut

#25 Post by TwoStrokeNut » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:17 am

Service M01 - Choke lever...

Sometime in the bikes past life, the choke lever had broken off. The 4-into-1 cable housing was still there, but the pull rod that exits from it had snapped off at the lever cross-hole. Someone had drilled a new hole further down and installed a loop of wire to pull when choke was needed. Here is a shot of the disassembled housing.

The little slider block appear to be otherwise fine, so I decided to cut off that broken rod completely and find something to replace it with. It turns out a 5mm screw and 6mm tube worked nicely for the repair. The plastic block was drilled, tapped and counterbored to accept the screw. The aluminum tube was tapped to accept the screw.

Before I cut the old rod off the slide block, I measured where the original hole was and added the cross hole to the tube. The tube was also trimmed to length.

Searching a box of old snowmobile parts turned up a suitable choke lever. Sometimes you get lucky, and for a guy in Florida, finding a snowmobile part is REALLY lucky!

Before putting it back together, I decided to drip some oil down in the cables. Since they are pretty short and seemed to slide fine anyway, I didn't bother dragging out the official cable-luber

Here it is getting re-installed.

And a quick test to check that it works okay.

Here is a picture I found of the OEM part. Comparing the lever I used to the correct version, I believe mine may not pull the cables quite as far as original. I measured cable travel at 5/16"(8mm). I don't know how much the OEM lever pulls the cables, but a little less hopefully will still be fine in my warm climate.

M01 Total Cost: US$0.00 (Tube and screw from my inventory)
Last edited by TwoStrokeNut on Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

silverstrom
- - - - -
- - - - -

#26 Post by silverstrom » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:29 am

Well done. Awesome job. Looks as good as new and will work just as well.

Snowmobile parts in Florida eh? Must be tough waiting for the right conditions to drag the sled out :grin:

Blackshaheen

#27 Post by Blackshaheen » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:26 pm

I think there is a very strong possibility that we may be related.

Your obsession with a futile exercise such as this and your insistence on documenting it with countless images strikes a scary chord with me.

Welcome brother.

Keep up the amazing thread...I bloody love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck.

TwoStrokeNut

#28 Post by TwoStrokeNut » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:34 pm

silverstrom - Thanks.

LOL, my old sleds are long gone - the vintage snowmobile club was happy to take them off my hands when I cleared out of my dad's barn years ago up north. But being the packrat that I am, I hung on to a few "general" parts that might be useful someday. That choke lever makes one part, so far :)

Blackshaheen - Most would consider me a "scary" person, so I won't be surprised if a few chords get struck when I post. :).

Seriously, it's easy to have a camera handy while I'm doing this stuff and luckily "film" is free these days. I'm sure it slows me down a bit while working, but I'm not out to win any races here - just doing "my thang" and having a good time tinkering in the shop. I'm just glad to have a few of my newfound RZ brothers along for the ride.

Thanks - there's still lots to do yet.
Last edited by TwoStrokeNut on Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Keysdave

#29 Post by Keysdave » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:52 pm

Congrats on your purchase, I was going to bid on it, knowing some about it I would of payed 5k. You have a really nice bike with some typical issues. Those Tommy crawford pipes are priceless! Rick Lance will work out issues with you, nice guy! If you want to sell it for $4550 I will come over there and get it tomorrow.
RG500
RG400
RZ500
RZ350

TwoStrokeNut

#30 Post by TwoStrokeNut » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:10 am

Keysdave - Oh sure, you just want it now that the ignition and choke are fixed :)

Thanks for the vote of confidence on the purchase, it makes me glad to hear that coming from a guy who knows a thing or two about these bikes (understatement, I'm sure). And thanks for not bidding it out of my price range! It won't be a show bike, but I'm hoping for a good strong runner for under $5K invested. I'm also glad to find out the bike has a few nice bits on it.

By the way, I intend to do some more research on Tommy Crawford, but here is an interesting blurb from Jim Lomas about their early relationship in pipe building: LINK (Link doesn't work anymore 2019-06-06)
Last edited by TwoStrokeNut on Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.