Alive Again

Got a customizing or restoration project? Post your progress pictures and updates here

Moderator: rztom

pstamper
- - - - -
- - - - -

Alive Again

#1 Post by pstamper » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:32 pm

Finally took time to get her back together. 3 months later. Forks were ok, wheels straight, rewelded steering stops (beefed up also), used fairing stay from Rick with a little tweaking, donor fairing from other bike (have new one for it), and some used RZV panels to put back on, remove scratched up panel by seat, get new shock reservoir bracket fabricated, and will be as good as she was. Had issue with starting due to flooded upper left. Took plugs out and blew air down cylinder till gas evaporated and changed plug five times before she cleared out. Little carb sync today and runs well again. Still two small dents at front of tank from stops breaking. Staying a track bike so call it patina. Think the stiffer rear spring raised ride height a little so when I was leaned over where I had been before it was actually more. Make sense? Think I am also going to reduce preload. Do not think it was squatting down under acceleration like it did with lighter spring.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Rear tire wear was excellent except for other side

This is the side that spun up on me. Cleaned it up pretty well.Uploaded with ImageShack.us

wolfgangh
- - - - -
- - - - -

#2 Post by wolfgangh » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:48 am

What rear shock are you using - I spot an OHLINS reservoir? I dont see the shock though

pstamper
- - - - -
- - - - -

#3 Post by pstamper » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:34 pm

Picked it up from Rick Lance and was built by Cogent Dynamics as far as I know. I am going to reduce the preload. The spring length was longer than the one that it came with. I will get the numbers from my old one and contact Wilbers maybe and see what they have. I hate to take the pipes back of after getting them sealed up but what the heck. I posted previously.The old spring i think came from Wilbers also and will check ratings. Numbers on spring are 59/59-190-130. I know the 130 is length. Tire wear looked pretty good on the left side, don't you think? The slide sure cleaned the right side. No tearing on the treads and sure is no chicken strip left.

Ronnie
- - - - -
- - - - -

#4 Post by Ronnie » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:08 am

"chicken strip" :grin:

pstamper
- - - - -
- - - - -

#5 Post by pstamper » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:27 am

My leathers do not have a chicken strip either.

Dubsey
- - - - -
- - - - -

#6 Post by Dubsey » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:40 pm

No chicken stips...... well done :grin:
Mediocrity is a sin !

pstamper
- - - - -
- - - - -

#7 Post by pstamper » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:13 pm

You still have to be on cloud nine after the 2 stroke event. That would be awsome to have the factory bike pull up by you and wheelie. The bikes all looked incredible. How was the gravel trap. Small rocks, did you sink in it, and how easy was it to get out? Almost ran in one at Barber at end of front straight. The scary part was trying to save it because there were little pebbles all over the run off area right near the trap. You had to be proud to be invited and I say your bike looks the part.

Dubsey
- - - - -
- - - - -

#8 Post by Dubsey » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:54 pm

Still makes me smile when I think of it
The gravel trap was small stones and deep
I hit it quite fast , but up on pegs, back brake on hard
and skidded to a halt, bike dug in approx 4inches
it was a fight to keep it upright
when I saw the marshalls running to me with straps
I engaged 1st and peddaled my way back to the track :grin:
To be honest I thought I had lost it
Your bike is looking great !
Mediocrity is a sin !

pstamper
- - - - -
- - - - -

#9 Post by pstamper » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:28 am

That was my worry with the gravel traps. You sink then try to put a foot down, sink again, and fall over. I went off and was running parrallel to the trap trying to not go in. I worried i would slide on the pebbles and low side. And you know it would of probably dug in and flipped me off the other side. It is fun to use these bike at the track. Would of been more fun with a bunch of other two strokes. Glad all came out right and I sure hope the younger generation enjoys them for what they truly are, real race bikes. No traction control, slippers clutches, and engine management. Sad about all the riders hurt at Indy but Rossi back on a Yamaha.