RC45's Project-OW81 - YZR clutch lever

Got a customizing or restoration project? Post your progress pictures and updates here

Moderator: rztom

RC45
- - - - -
- - - - -

RC45's Project-OW81 - YZR clutch lever

#1 Post by RC45 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:15 am

Well, the 784cc bigbore roller and goodies are in Texas.

Here are some teaser pics - the original progress photos taken over the years.
I am not going to take any credit for conceptualizing or dreaming up this monster. It was born in the dark recesses of the imaginations of some of the most die-hard 2-stroke crazies ever. Between Mark(gpcustoms), Steve(RGVSteve), Gus and Vito Perfomance, they gave life to a freak of nature.

Think bored, radically modded Vito jugs enclosing over-bore slugs bound to stroked Gus cranks - and nary a powervalve in sight :shock:

I am simply going to try tame what they created :)

Here we see the current state of the project. Pipes as fitted, case mods, exquisite intakes and barrels and heads etc.

Time to begin the discussion, speculation and dreaming. In about 2 weeks the real work will start

As built

Frame

Power Plant

Pipes

Possible Look
Having managed to source the original Fujiwara OW86 fairing for this bike that was run in the All Japan series, I am thinking of doing the big bore bike up like this.

Video of Fujiwara #6 bike
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynqFbEyXYKw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Last edited by RC45 on Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:39 pm, edited 64 times in total.
CBR1000RR SP2 HRC WSBK
TZ500V/OW53 Track bike
YZR500 OW81 Clone
OW69 Daytona 200 Replica - 784cc Monster
NS400 Track Bike
RS250R NF5
TZ250T 2KM
TZ250B 3YL
TZR250 3MA Track Bike
427ci C5 Z07

aaronmvrider

#2 Post by aaronmvrider » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:37 am

:shock: :shock: tissues....
my rides
rz 500 1984
2 x rz 350 1984
mv agusta f4 1000 2004

M@tt

#3 Post by M@tt » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:10 am

I shall be following this thread for sure! Keep those pix flowing ;)
Good luck with the awesome build! M@tt

Ronnie
- - - - -
- - - - -

#4 Post by Ronnie » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:31 am

Jeez! :shock: :shock:

That beast should be kept in a cage!

Can't wait to follow this build.

custommade

#5 Post by custommade » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:41 am

Very nice, what sort of hp are you hoping for 140-160?

Dubsey
- - - - -
- - - - -

#6 Post by Dubsey » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:11 pm

The chassis, is it reverse cylinder TZ ?
Are you going to 'flip' the swingarm to replicate the OW89 ?
Mediocrity is a sin !

RC45
- - - - -
- - - - -

#7 Post by RC45 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:28 pm

custommade wrote:Very nice, what sort of hp are you hoping for 140-160?
No real idea of power really. Vito pots/heads in Banshee form when breathing and piped correctly are good for 80hp+ to the wheels. 2 such sets might be capable of producing 160bhp+ to the wheels, but realisticly with carburation and other issues to overcome anything close to 65hp per bank for 120bhp+ should be enough of a handful.

Anything over that would be bonus adrinalin :lol: the non-powervalve delivery is going to be its own monster to overcome :)

Dubsey wrote:The chassis, is it reverse cylinder TZ ?
Are you going to 'flip' the swingarm to replicate the OW89 ?
Yes, the chassis is 1990 TZ250A sourced. As for the swingarm, while it does visually bother me, it will stay for the moment. I was really hoping to use that swingarm on the OW60/9 replica as when paired with the RZV alloy frame it will look dead on.

ImageImageImage

ImageImage

I think the YZF750 swingarm I have may end up on the TZ250A chassis to accomodate the 6 1/4" x 17" 3 spoke wheel I want to eventually run on this bike.

Video of the Fujwara #6 bike in action
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynqFbEyXYKw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But the first order of business is going to be to just get it working first.
Last edited by RC45 on Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:11 am, edited 4 times in total.
CBR1000RR SP2 HRC WSBK
TZ500V/OW53 Track bike
YZR500 OW81 Clone
NS400 Track Bike
RS250R NF5
TZ250T 2KM
TZ250B 3YL
TZR250 3MA Track Bike
427ci C5 Z07

oktrg500

#8 Post by oktrg500 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:48 pm

This seems like a very good starting point. Much work seems to already have been carried out.

A few thoughts pops into my mind, if you'll allow me to comment:

How much machining has been done and how many special parts has been made do make the engine parts fit to gether? God forbid, but if a major engine breakdown should occur at some point - would you be able to replace the special parts with new? And how much funding would it need? Do you have detailed drawings of all special work which has been carried out?

What's up with the big gaps between the fuel tank and the frame?

Those carb intakes - I can almost swear I've read about the story behind them being produced before. Has this build been performed in a build thread located somewhere before? If would be nice to read up on the story so far.

The space between the forwarding pointing carbs and the radiator could seem narrow. You think of using multiple smaller radiators?

I support you very much on the Fujiwara color scheme. I think it would be a very good choice for this build.

Thank you very much for this new thread. It keeps our build dreams alive and is a great inspiration.

RC45
- - - - -
- - - - -

#9 Post by RC45 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:27 pm

oktrg500 wrote:This seems like a very good starting point. Much work seems to already have been carried out.

A few thoughts pops into my mind, if you'll allow me to comment:
Well, one of the reasons I was willing to take over the project was that much of the very heavy lifting has already been done.

I put this out there so that a larger discussion could take place to help encourage others to also take the plunge into impossible projects :)
oktrg500 wrote: How much machining has been done and how many special parts has been made do make the engine parts fit to gether? God forbid, but if a major engine breakdown should occur at some point - would you be able to replace the special parts with new? And how much funding would it need? Do you have detailed drawings of all special work which has been carried out?
How much machining and custom fabrication has been done?

A huge amount - trenched and custom welded lower and upper caes, made especially to fit the chassis. Special 1 off barrels and heads.

If a major breakdown where to occur, then the bike would need to be powered by hamsters and excercise wheels after that :)

As I see it, the motor itself is a one-off and if I can get it together, running and keep it alive for a couple seasons it would have ben worth the effort.
oktrg500 wrote: What's up with the big gaps between the fuel tank and the frame?

Those carb intakes - I can almost swear I've read about the story behind them being produced before. Has this build been performed in a build thread located somewhere before? If would be nice to read up on the story so far.
The gaps where done to facilitate airflow/cooling on the TZ250 that the tank came from, it was available for this project so it got used - and may even aid cooling flow again.

And yes, the intakes are from this bike and had been discussed previously, but the build project stopped where it is and I am taking it in the same state it was a number of years ago.
oktrg500 wrote: The space between the forwarding pointing carbs and the radiator could seem narrow. You think of using multiple smaller radiators?
Yes - cooling is going to be a challenge, but side mounted RC51 or even MotoX style radiators may be able to get the job done.
oktrg500 wrote: I support you very much on the Fujiwara color scheme. I think it would be a very good choice for this build.

Thank you very much for this new thread. It keeps our build dreams alive and is a great inspiration.
I think the Fujiwara blue/white will be a nice departure from the usual red/white or yellow/black that people normally associate the older YZR's with.
CBR1000RR SP2 HRC WSBK
TZ500V/OW53 Track bike
YZR500 OW81 Clone
NS400 Track Bike
RS250R NF5
TZ250T 2KM
TZ250B 3YL
TZR250 3MA Track Bike
427ci C5 Z07

Dubsey
- - - - -
- - - - -

#10 Post by Dubsey » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:51 pm

I think the Fujiwara blue/white will be a nice departure from the usual red/white or yellow/black that people normally associate the older YZR's with.
Always Blue Blue Blue (but i am biased) :grin:

You said lack of powervalves could make it interesting
I assume you are using programmable ignition ?
If so could you not alter the map to make the power delivery less 'interesting' ?

Why the 6 1/4" wheel ?
Mediocrity is a sin !

RC45
- - - - -
- - - - -

#11 Post by RC45 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:04 pm

Dubsey wrote:
Always Blue Blue Blue (but i am biased) :grin:

You said lack of powervalves could make it interesting
I assume you are using programmable ignition ?
If so could you not alter the map to make the power delivery less 'interesting' ?

Why the 6 1/4" wheel ?
Well, the blue/blue/blue Goollywarze of the 80's YZRs is always an option ;)

I have no idea what sort of ignition system is in the box of goodies. If it's not programmable then perhaps keeping it 'interesting' will be my way of experiencing what it may have been like to throw a leg over the real bikes that our heroes used to ride. :)

I happen to have a brand new 6 1/4" x 17" 3 spoke Marvic that looks the GP part when shod with a Michelin slick, so rather than let it go to waste I was going to use it.
CBR1000RR SP2 HRC WSBK
TZ500V/OW53 Track bike
YZR500 OW81 Clone
NS400 Track Bike
RS250R NF5
TZ250T 2KM
TZ250B 3YL
TZR250 3MA Track Bike
427ci C5 Z07

Dubsey
- - - - -
- - - - -

#12 Post by Dubsey » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:22 pm

I'm collecting for an OW69 Gauloises, my next build
We are using the same fairing guy ... johnny c

Just Love your thinking re. ignition

And I have used many parts that have been just 'laying around'
Mediocrity is a sin !

oktrg500

#13 Post by oktrg500 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:06 pm

RC45 wrote: I have no idea what sort of ignition system is in the box of goodies. If it's not programmable then perhaps keeping it 'interesting' will be my way of experiencing what it may have been like to throw a leg over the real bikes that our heroes used to ride. :)
Sounds to me like a goal I could very easily identify me with. I've always been very curious to get a taste of the real deal. My rather easily (?) modifyed RG500 Gamma engine has for sure scared me more than once. Proper set up, and expecting the pieces will keep together - this should be good for a few laughs. I feel very excited on your behalf. In my opinion - this sounds like a really nasty piece of kit. I wish you the very best of luck and that you're going to sort out the engine without too much expensives.

Regards
Ole Knut
Norway

RC45
- - - - -
- - - - -

#14 Post by RC45 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:30 pm

oktrg500 wrote:
RC45 wrote: I have no idea what sort of ignition system is in the box of goodies. If it's not programmable then perhaps keeping it 'interesting' will be my way of experiencing what it may have been like to throw a leg over the real bikes that our heroes used to ride. :)
Sounds to me like a goal I could very easily identify me with. I've always been very curious to get a taste of the real deal. My rather easily (?) modifyed RG500 Gamma engine has for sure scared me more than once. Proper set up, and expecting the pieces will keep together - this should be good for a few laughs. I feel very excited on your behalf. In my opinion - this sounds like a really nasty piece of kit. I wish you the very best of luck and that you're going to sort out the engine without too much expensives.

Regards
Ole Knut
Norway
I think this is what attracted me to the whole thing.

Short wheel based TZ250 dimension, potentially 120bhp+, 320lb target weight, snap on-off Banshee power delivery.

It has all the makings of a nightmare :)
CBR1000RR SP2 HRC WSBK
TZ500V/OW53 Track bike
YZR500 OW81 Clone
NS400 Track Bike
RS250R NF5
TZ250T 2KM
TZ250B 3YL
TZR250 3MA Track Bike
427ci C5 Z07

beek

#15 Post by beek » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:21 pm