RC45's Project-OW48R/53P/TZ500J - 1985 Works Brembos!

Got a customizing or restoration project? Post your progress pictures and updates here

Moderator: rztom

rzatch
- - - - -
- - - - -

#16 Post by rzatch » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:39 am

I've been looking for one of those, where did you get it?
http://www.rzrd500.com/500phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=9680

rzatch
- - - - -
- - - - -

#17 Post by rzatch » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:40 am

I've been looking for one of those, where did you get it?
http://www.rzrd500.com/500phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=9680

RC45
- - - - -
- - - - -

#18 Post by RC45 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:02 am

Graves Motorsports.

http://www.gravesport.com/Graves-Motors ... pring.html

The stock return spring setup is pitful, so when I found a pucka rear brake return spring with threaded hat I pounced on it.
Last edited by RC45 on Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

Vin
- - - - -
- - - - -

#19 Post by Vin » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:56 am

Any chance of sending me some measurements and pic's when you get this kit?

I tried ordering but when it came to checking out it came back saying that they couldn't give me a postage quote!

RC45
- - - - -
- - - - -

#20 Post by RC45 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:01 am

The Michelin Power Ones worked really well.

ImageImage
ImageImage
Last edited by RC45 on Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

pstamper
- - - - -
- - - - -

#21 Post by pstamper » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:56 pm

It was great to meet this weekend. The track day was great and let alone having two RZ 500s on the track at the same time, most people just did not believe their eyes or ears, and as usual comlpiments were all good. My rat bike did not draw the attention yours did but two of them, it was great. Glad you sorted your bike out and that we stayed on two wheels all day for as cool as it was. Did you watch the video that was on the card. Yours was very good with the angle of the tach and track. My wind screen is to degraded for that shot.
Found out why mine lost power midday, the PV controller quit working again. :-( :-( If I twist it it will operate when key is turned on. It was fine, lap times were OK the few times I had open track and tried for a good lap. Five within1 to 5 seconds of each other. Can not wait to see videos from the instructor. We need to stay in touch. Again, for the end of the season and cool weather, had a blast and good to meet a fellow RZ owner and good guy. Next event, and warmer weather, we need to ride together, we will let instructors know.
By the way Steve the conversion seem to handle great and nothing fell off :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

RC45
- - - - -
- - - - -

#22 Post by RC45 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:58 pm

pstamper wrote:It was great to meet this weekend. The track day was great and let alone having two RZ 500s on the track at the same time, most people just did not believe their eyes or ears, and as usual comlpiments were all good. My rat bike did not draw the attention yours did but two of them, it was great. Glad you sorted your bike out and that we stayed on two wheels all day for as cool as it was. Did you watch the video that was on the card. Yours was very good with the angle of the tach and track. My wind screen is to degraded for that shot.
Found out why mine lost power midday, the PV controller quit working again. :-( :-( If I twist it it will operate when key is turned on. It was fine, lap times were OK the few times I had open track and tried for a good lap. Five within1 to 5 seconds of each other. Can not wait to see videos from the instructor. We need to stay in touch. Again, for the end of the season and cool weather, had a blast and good to meet a fellow RZ owner and good guy. Next event, and warmer weather, we need to ride together, we will let instructors know.
By the way Steve the conversion seem to handle great and nothing fell off :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:
Great meeting you and we need to ride together next time for sure. I was just not sure of the Ride Smart day setup - now I know.

Speaking of 'Intructor video', how would I know if they actually made one? Was that th epurpose of wearing the T-shirt and having them follow us for a lap?

I guess I need to contact them and find out if such a video was indeed filmed.

Anyway, here is the day in short pictorial form.

The Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68xDBnuuX-U

Leave at 5:30am

Back at 8:00pm

Not one, but 2 RZ500's on track at the same time
ImageImage
ImageImage

Innocent unsuspecting tyres at home - poor things

Tyres nice and toasty ready for a thrashing
ImageImage

After being thrashed to bits for an afternoon
ImageImage
ImageImage

The thrashing underway
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Last edited by RC45 on Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Last edited by RC45 on Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:09 am, edited 3 times in total.

RC45
- - - - -
- - - - -

#23 Post by RC45 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:47 am

Out with the foam filters, in with the mesh intake stacks.

ImageImage
ImageImage

ImageImage
ImageImage
Last edited by RC45 on Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

gpcustoms

#24 Post by gpcustoms » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:39 am

Ive seen that thing somewhere before Paul!!!
Have you been in my garage?...Bring it back :cry:
Dam Paul this thread sure makes me miss it,...Glad its being used by you and not some tire kicker :twisted:

RC45
- - - - -
- - - - -

#25 Post by RC45 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:52 am

Mark, I cannot thank you enough for allowing me to take over custody of this bike. I am also very pleased I waited until I found a bike with real race provenance and that was well sorted and successfully used on track.

It is a testament to your skills as a racer and chassis tuner and ability to work with fabricators such as Steve, to then put together a real working motorcycle.

It is a fantastic machine, and I can only hope that the changes and tweaks I make to it over time do not detract from its primary function, to circulate a track in anger

This RZ500 puts to rest all those ugly rumours that street sourced Yamaha V4 2-strokes can't hold their own in the wild, steel frame and all
Last edited by RC45 on Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

pstamper
- - - - -
- - - - -

#26 Post by pstamper » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:07 pm

Very well said. It is always nice to have them run reliably all day long and as the previous owner said , nice to see it used :cool: :cool: :cool: Are you trying a new learning curve with the breathers? I had small uni filters on my other bike and they ran poorly. Your bike was impressive and still loved your camera position. Will resolder my pv controller again and see if it works. I had no idea you were lurking on my tail. I would of used better fuel and oil. Yours had that great classic aroma, like finally aged wine. Did you have any video of my scooter? I paid the instructor for the video, that was why they changed me to a numbered pullover. We need to get together after holidays, I would like to stay up on your progress..

RC45
- - - - -
- - - - -

#27 Post by RC45 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:45 am

Now we getting serious.
ImageImage

I was hunting for a 3 spoke magnesium rear to match the front but was not having that much luck. Then this set of classic Marchesini 5 spoke straight spokes came up.
ImageImage
ImageImageImage

It seems to fit

Not so easy on the front... can't win 'em all.

The front is differnet size axle, different bolt pattern rotor mount.

Not to bad though, the current front is a 3 spoke mag wheel.
Last edited by RC45 on Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

pstamper
- - - - -
- - - - -

#28 Post by pstamper » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:47 am

OK Paul do you ever work? You find more goodies than my Porche friend. Good find. How much lighter is the rim? Do you know what the front came from?

RC45
- - - - -
- - - - -

#29 Post by RC45 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:30 am

pstamper wrote:OK Paul do you ever work? You find more goodies than my Porche friend. Good find. How much lighter is the rim? Do you know what the front came from?
Only just enough to keep the wolf from the door hehe

I am not even sure these wheels are Marchesini's. No manufacturers mark I can find. but they do have serial numbers.

They are magnesium though and quite light - I am going to be contacting all the mag wheel manufacturers to try find out whose they are. The rear wheel has no cush drive, direct sprocket boltup and the square 125mm diameter brake rotor bolt pattern suggest these where race only application - maybe some late 80's early 90's Ducati race bike. I see many early Ducati fronts also had the 5 bolt brake rotor - but have not seen any of that era superikes with straight spokes.

If I could get the rear working that is another 7lbs shaved off the rear weight. If the alloy frame was worth 10lb weight savings I am halfway to my 30lb weight reduction goal
Last edited by RC45 on Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

RGVSTEVE
- - - - -
- - - - -

#30 Post by RGVSTEVE » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:21 pm

Paul,

How close is the rear wheel to fitting and being centered in the swingarm.