Dry Clutch Kit & Mikunio Carbs

Got a customizing or restoration project? Post your progress pictures and updates here

Moderator: rztom

Ade SYM

#31 Post by Ade SYM » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:50 am

George,

OD is 264mm
Circlip ID is 24mm
Depth of groove is 2mm

Original circlip seems not to be stertched

I think i need a 24mm x 1.5mm circlip

Do you think it will go over the shaft?

Thanks Ade

geosot
- - - - -
- - - - -

#32 Post by geosot » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:06 am

Ade,

shaft is 28mm, it could not be 26.4 mm. In that case the 5th would not turn correctly. 5th input would be very "loose" and will have an extensive 1.6 mm side play.

Splined part of the shaft could be max .03-0.06 mm less than 28 mm, (27.97-27.96 mm), but not 26.4 mm.

Suppose that shaft is 26.4 mm. If groove depth is 2 mm, then the groove diameter would be 22.4 mm, so a 22 mm circlip would do the job and not a 24 mm.

Please measure once again the shaft's OD and groove depth.

Many thanks and apologies.

The picture shows three shafts.

Bottom is one like yours (made about 1 year ago), middle is an OEM and top is one of the last batch.

All measure 28 mm and groove is 1 mm deep x 1.5 mm wide.

Ade SYM

#33 Post by Ade SYM » Sat May 26, 2012 6:22 am

Is there any body who has installed this dry clutch conversion and it is working ok?

I am having multiple issues with mine which i am discussing with George, but it would be interesting to know how other people have got on with it.

Thanks Ade

Dubsey
- - - - -
- - - - -

#34 Post by Dubsey » Sat May 26, 2012 3:16 pm

Still the same issues ?
Mediocrity is a sin !

Ade SYM

#35 Post by Ade SYM » Mon May 28, 2012 8:15 am

Mark,

Yes still got the same issues.

The 1098 clutch does not fit even with engineering it!

Bolts sent for the clutch housing are to long and await the new ones he is sending.

I have had explaination from George re the "wurring" noise of the primary gear, but i am still worried what it will do to the engine longterm.
He has suggested he is looking into this and may have a new product soon!

I am looking for a 748 - 916 complete clutch as George advised he dried fitted one of these clutches and all was ok.

A little dissapointed overall but i am in the hands of George sorting this out

I am tempted to remove the kit completly and run the standard wet clutch until it is resolved.

I have not heard from any one yet who has fitted the kit and it is running ok, but really interested to hear from any one regarding these kits.

My only option i have left is to return the complete kit and ask him to dry fit everything again, with a clutch i will supply and fit it again once returned (Just relish pulling the engine out again for the 4th time and those postage costs again to Greece)

How is you kit coming along - Any issues?

Thanks Ade

geosot
- - - - -
- - - - -

#36 Post by geosot » Mon May 28, 2012 12:41 pm

Ade,

You bought from me the cover, shaft and primary gear, not the dry clutch (basket, hub, pressure plate).

You bought a used 1098 clutch from the market.

I asked you repetitively (even before you buy my parts) to send me the clutch or the hub only, in order to return the kit to you assembled. You choose not to send the clutch, due to the high cost of postage (circa 55 GBP the clutch circa 45 GBP the hub only, according to Royal Mail calculator)

I admit that was a great mistake from my side, I should insist to send me the clutch.

Now the only viable solution is to send me at least the shaft and the hub.

There is no point sending you another shaft or another primary, because you will have the same issues. If not identical they will be the as close as humanly possible to the ones you have.

For the primary noise issue you mention, I will and a reply to the dry clutch thread, but not before next Monday.

George

Ade SYM

#37 Post by Ade SYM » Mon May 28, 2012 2:31 pm

George,

You seem to be wanting me to react to your public announcement regarding your clutch kit you supplied. I have always posted my coments carefully and never brought my issues to the public arena.

I could respond to your comments publically and honestly, but think it best not too, i would rather deal with you direct and get the problem resolved. I am sure this would be the best approach for both of us.

Thanks Ade

geosot
- - - - -
- - - - -

#38 Post by geosot » Tue May 29, 2012 5:35 am

My sole intention is to supply people with working units whatever the issues.

Any (preferably constructive) criticism is duly appreciated.

chris

#39 Post by chris » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:52 am

Hello

I have a working dry clutch from geosot but without the new splined shaft.

And its based on the tz350.. so all Yamaha :-)

Christer

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#40 Post by Smoker » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:45 am

Just my 2 cents worth.

George has been great to work with and is making parts to meet my dry clutch needs (for my RZ350).

When I can find a nice RD500 clutch casing to buy - I'll be ordering another dry clutch kit from George.

Ade SYM

#41 Post by Ade SYM » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:21 am

George,

Is there any news on the "Primary Gear Noise Issue" I was awaiting your response to the message you left recently - Please see below:

For the primary noise issue you mention, I will and a reply to the dry clutch thread, but not before next Monday.

To date i have heard nothing and cannot see a reply in either of your Ducati or TZ dry clutch threads?

Thanks Ade.

geosot
- - - - -
- - - - -

#42 Post by geosot » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:08 am

Hi Ade,

it took me more than expected. The story is that I had during Spring a couple of reports for high "primary gear" noise. I know that the noise of a dry clutch is higher in DB and in pitch and that is reduced with time.

But two complaints at the same time was a warning alarm. One case had an additional issue.

I sent the dry clutch primary, OEM primary and crank gears to a third party for an evaluation. I did it several measurements of the teeth profile before start production, but this time i decided to go for a full study/evaluation. Report received last week.

Results:

1. Dry clutch primary teeth profile matches the crank gears & OEM primary profile to an acceptable degree of accuracy.
2. Noise reduces with time and caused by a couple of factors. Some of the causes can be "fixed" during production (some add to the price, some don't. - my note)

Some other results of the report will be used in future kits and have to do with gear weight, design and machining procedures.

Hoped that I covered your question.

Ade SYM

#43 Post by Ade SYM » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:07 am

George,

Thanks for the reply, and by the way i have now managed to fit the dry clutch kit after a considerable amount of additional work, (some thing i really do not want to go into) I was lucky to have an engineer friend help me out and has also checked the instalation process and all the parts concerned.

My concern, and his, now is that i am about to fire the bike up for the first time after a complete rebuild and costly after market parts fitted, the dry clutch being one of them. The engine is as new and i do not want any thing to go wrong with it.

However, i am extremley concerned with the Primary Gear your have supplied. I know you have sent any explaination BUT the noise, even when i kick the bike over is worrying. I have preminitions of the side case filling with metal shards or some thing simular, oil leaks through the seal etc.

To date i have still not "heard" from any one who has had a Ducati based kit up and running to give me the confidence to start the bike.

What is the news on the New Primary Gear you are producing?

Is it completed and ready and are you happy to replace the current one i have?

Look forward to hearing from you

Thanks Ade

geosot
- - - - -
- - - - -

#44 Post by geosot » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:06 am

Primary or dry clutch will not harm your engine.
Gears and seals are complicated items made by humans, not metaphysical objects.

it is not certain that I will produce a new "breed" of primaries based on the report, since i don't have a clear idea:

1. who does the procedures suggested (locally or not)
2. how much they cost
3. What the benefit would be
4. other parameters (minimum quantity etc)

The important result is that dry clutch primaries are compatible with the crankshaft primaries at an acceptable degree of accuracy.

In any case primaries will continue to be produced with the same specifications as the one you have.

Ade SYM

#45 Post by Ade SYM » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:40 pm

George,

Ok you have given me a little confidance to fire the engine up with your response.

Two questions before i do this:

You suggest the Primary Gear will bed in after a period of time, i assume you mean the teeth on the PG will round and match the other gears in the engine? Where does the surplus metal waste go?
I assume in my new engine?

Are you going to take any responsibility if this damages my engine?

I still find it difficult to believe that you have produced this product, you suggest it is 2nd / 3rd generation, there seems still to be issues with it, BUT there is no one coming forward to prove that they have a working product with no problems, surely you can put forward some one who can vouch for it or a testemonial?

Also i would be very interested to see the engineers report you mentioned previously on the PG - Are you willing to scan a copy to me to give me more confidance?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks Ade