Standard silencers / end cans

Got a customizing or restoration project? Post your progress pictures and updates here

Moderator: rztom

1601pete

Standard silencers / end cans

#1 Post by 1601pete » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:35 pm

Quick question to those of you doing standard restorations. How are you restoring / replicating the finish on the silencers? (brushed / lightly linished ally)

Thanks

Pete

Ronnie
- - - - -
- - - - -

#2 Post by Ronnie » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:00 pm

Use a Scotchbrite pad (an abrasive pad used by bodyshops to flatten paint) and rub it with the grain. I've seen it done and it replicates the original finish perfect. Obviously the cans can't be damaged.

rzmad

#3 Post by rzmad » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:55 pm

Well, I had my silencers professionally satin polished. They look good, really good until they corrode with white spots all over. I'm now mirror polishing my own.

Ronnie
- - - - -
- - - - -

#4 Post by Ronnie » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:14 pm

I had my original cans chromed many years ago. They looked great for a couple of years but chrome never really takes to aluminium well so eventually it started to pit and lift.

I made my own short ends to fit the standard upper pipes using chrome tail pipes from Halfords to fit a mini! Cut them down and welded them to a plate I made to fit the end of the exhaust. Didn't bother having the silencer in any of the pipes! Wasn't that loud really. Certainly no louder than my swarbricks i ended up using.