Streetfighter RZV Roller

Got a customizing or restoration project? Post your progress pictures and updates here

Moderator: rztom

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

Re: Streetfighter RZV Roller

#61 Post by Smoker » Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:37 pm

2smoke wrote:Aha.
So are you going R6 front and rear? And wheels too?
Well, I think the only OEM R6 parts will be the 2 forks and the swingarm, but all 3 will be modified.

The OEM R6 triples are just for fitting purposes.

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#62 Post by Smoker » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:08 am

I'd like to remove the steel steering lock from the aluminum frame.

Will probably chrome and TiN coat it, then put it back on after the frame is done.

Would be nice to tap the holes and use titanium hardware to secure it .

Last edited by Smoker on Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#63 Post by Smoker » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:08 pm

There are a few aftermarket adjustable triples I'm looking at. The problem is fitting them to the RZV500 frame using modern (R6) forks. So, I have to work it out.

Also looking at full custom adjustable triples. Probably the best way to go - but even more complicated to design properly.

Last edited by Smoker on Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vin
- - - - -
- - - - -

#64 Post by Vin » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:08 pm

Smoker wrote:I'd like to remove the steel steering lock from the aluminum frame.

Will probably chrome and TiN coat it, then put it back on after the frame is done.

Would be nice to tap the holes and use titanium hardware to secure it .

They are security screws Smoker so already threaded so fitting titanium would be no problem.

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#65 Post by Smoker » Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:46 pm

Cleaned out the head tube, pressed in the new races and fit the tapered roller bearings.

The upper bearing fits rightly.

The bottom bearing collar protrudes out to act as a spacer.

The problem is that the R6 lower triple already has the same thing.

I'd like the gap between the head tube and lower triple to be between 2mm and 3mm. I think it will be just over 4.5mm as is, so the step on the lower triple (or part of it) will have to be machined off.

Sucks if I buy nice aftermarket triples and have to machine them, but it can be done.
Last edited by Smoker on Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#66 Post by Smoker » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:49 am

Vin wrote: They are security screws Smoker so already threaded so fitting titanium would be no problem.
Removed the security screws. Need to get correct hardware.

Still not sure if this steering lock will work with the new triples.

Last edited by Smoker on Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#67 Post by Smoker » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:27 pm

I finally got in touch with the dude that cut these custom triples.

No surprised he's backed up with orders. Says he wouldn't be able to start until around July.

It'll take me some time to figure out what I want on the triples (mounts for steering brace, headlight, gauges, or flyscreen?), so maybe it will work out.

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#68 Post by Smoker » Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:44 pm

Took a quick look and sit on the RZ500 to check out the OEM footpegs. I want to move the new footpegs FORWARD on the RZV roller between 1/2" and 1".

I've been riding a supermoto bike lately - now the RZ500 is extremely uncomfortable. So, I'd like to raise the seat height and move the seat about 1/2" forward.

I'd also like to raise the tail and make more room for custom pipes, so I'm afraid the RZV aluminum subframe needs to get the chop. :smt102

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#69 Post by Smoker » Tue May 19, 2015 1:39 am

Stopped by the machine shop to check progress on the titanium axles and swingarm pivot, etc.

Looks like the gundrilling is done, but that's it. :smt015

No other choice but to wait.

Last edited by Smoker on Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#70 Post by Smoker » Fri May 29, 2015 1:35 am

Got a little downtime at work, so I'm thinking about the custom triples.

If you look at the photo of the sample custom triples, notice how the bolts squeeze the upper triple together to clamp the fork tubes and steering stem. It's going to be interesting to design the risers, which will have to be removed to unclamp the triple. I haven't seen these type of triples used with handlebars, only clip-ons.

I sat on the (complete) RZ500 and took an Ohlins steering damper and eyeballed it on the side of the bike. There's really not much room for it on the side - feels too close to my knee.

Instead of a side mount, I think I'm going to try a top mount (Ducati style). The plan is for a custom fuel tank/monocoque anyway, so why not make the tank fit around the steering damper?

Will try to design the damper so it can be removed, then the triples could be used with a standard RZ500 fuel tank if necessary.

This is the type of design I'm going for:

Just hope the dude that cuts the custom triples is down with my modifications.

Still need to think about headlight and gauge mounting. (Of course I have no idea what headlight or gauges to use, yet.)

I have a set of very nice R6 forks, and have decided to black them out. The outer tubes will be stripped and re-anodized black, and the inner tubes will get black DLC coating. The axle clamps are already black. Not sure what other mods I want for the forks, except some trick preload adjusters. Maybe upgraded internals.

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#71 Post by Smoker » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:14 am

Unfortunately, THESE ARE NOT FOR MY BIKE.

Two people did me favors - and asked for titanium parts in return. I told the machine shop to make their parts before mine, so here they are. Two tianium swingarm pivot bolts and one titanium rear axle. Exact copies of the OEM RZ500 parts in 6AL-4V Grade 5 titanium.

Now the bad news.

I designed a custom head for my titanium swingarm pivot bolt. When I picked the parts up - the machinist fucked up (again) and put an OEM style head on my pivot bolt! :smt013

I'm out about $120 for the raw titanium, $80 for the gundrilling, and $150 for the machining. And it's not what I ordered.

So, I'm going to have the shop finish my pivot bolt into another OEM copy. I'm going to sell it for exactly what I paid (no more, no less) plus shipping.

Then I'll have to start all over on my custom pivot bolt.

You guys know I don't sell parts, I just make them for my own bikes. If anyone out there is interested in buying the extra titanium pivot bolt - you better speak up fast! :mrgreen:

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#72 Post by Smoker » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:29 pm

Forgot to point out that these are RZV500 parts, not RZ500 parts. :smt023

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#73 Post by Smoker » Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:00 am

Titanium axles and swingarm pivot bolt.

Didn't want to send out the front axle for broaching, so I designed a different head. The hex will protrude from the side of the axle clamp. Same as on my Aprilia. Thinking about a matching titanium spindle bolt. Also may cut the hex to look like the fancy nuts. Not sure, yet.

Was going to do a custom head on the swingarm pivot bolt, but the other bolts have OEM style heads, so it matches better without the custom head.
Last edited by Smoker on Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rufus

#74 Post by Rufus » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:52 am

Smoker wrote:Forgot to point out that these are RZV500 parts, not RZ500 parts. :smt023
Smoker, is there a difference between the ali and steel frames with respect to the pivot bolt?

You still selling the bodged one?

Cheers

Smoker
- - - - -
- - - - -

#75 Post by Smoker » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:25 am

Rufus wrote:
Smoker wrote:Forgot to point out that these are RZV500 parts, not RZ500 parts. :smt023
Smoker, is there a difference between the ali and steel frames with respect to the pivot bolt?

You still selling the bodged one?

Cheers
Yes. The RZV aluminum frame uses a shorter swingarm pivot bolt.

Evidently, the longer RZ pivot bolt cannot safely be modified for the RZV.

Well, actually not bodged, just not my custom design - which is now okay. Took me some time to realize I don't need a custom head on the bolt. So, I'll just keep it and move on.

Need to finish up the titanium linkage parts.