BARN YARD 500

Got a customizing or restoration project? Post your progress pictures and updates here

Moderator: rztom

2smoke

Re: BARN YARD 500

#31 Post by 2smoke » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:16 pm

Nice job Vonzipper!
Sounds good on all 4!
Looks like you picked up some aftermarket pipes along the way.
Colin

Kalim

#32 Post by Kalim » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:25 am

Nice, your restoration sounds good !

David.

Vonzipper

#33 Post by Vonzipper » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:17 am

Some of you have noticed I got a set of Nikon pipes on the 500. No they are not new but slightly used according to the PO and was only on his bike for a short time. Now I was not looking for pipes at the time but during a visit to the centre of the universe(Toronto) a few months ago I came across them and bargain him down from 1200 to 800 bux. Cost me $20 to fly them home on Westjet as oversize baggage. The pipes had some surface rust and very dusty from sitting for years but had no dents. Some time,cleaning, painting and polishing got them like new, check them out.

Vonzipper

#34 Post by Vonzipper » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:36 am

Lets look at weight savings on a set of aftermarket pipes vs stock boat anchors. I measured the stock exhausts pipes at about 12 lbs each X 4 =48lbs. I then measured the Nikons at 4lbs ea X 4= 16lbs total. 48lbs minus 16lbs = 32 lbs less weight with more performance to boot.

Vonzipper

#35 Post by Vonzipper » Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:15 pm

Well its been a long time since I last updated this thread but here goes. Back in November before the first snow fall I managed to get a short test ride in, the motor ran flawlessly, but I had to cut the test ride short because of leaking aftermarket front fork seals. I have since gotten Genuine Yamaha replacement fork seals, lesson learnt. The last month due to the cold winter/garage not much progress was made, but all I had left to do was body work. Replacement side panels and belly pan were found on flea bay early in the restoration, and repairs to a spare tank I got from the PO as part of the deal. Last night Christmas eve I decided to put it all together and here we have the restored "Barn Yard 500". Now I know this bike will not be a true collector's item with its mis- matched numbers and fairings or will it be a garage queen, it is what it is, a 30 year old vintage Japanese bike which I intend to ride to my heart's content. Enjoy the pics.
Got this radial master cylinder from my friend's CBR1000RR much cheaper than rebuilding the original MC.
This was what was left of the original side panels, junk.
Believe it or not the first things I started buying for this project was plastics, I lucked out being there at the right moment and got some good deals on slightly damaged fairings which were easy to repair, mainly mounting tabs.
This is a spare tank I got from the PO when Purchased the bike, has a few dents but nothing like the original tank.
After pulling the dents and some primer.
Choices of flush mounted signals to choose from-- my parts bin. Which ones you like?
http://s1093.photobucket.com/user/vonzi ... 0.jpg.html
I am liking this one, 3 led clusters and very bright with running lights and signals.
DUZS quick release fasteners compliments of KUREVY GIRL.

rd84
- - - - -
- - - - -

#36 Post by rd84 » Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:28 pm

Looking good ! - those Nikkons really suit the 500 !

Cheers
Paul

Vonzipper

#37 Post by Vonzipper » Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:57 pm

No Restoration is complete without the Reproduction Sticker.

Vonzipper

#38 Post by Vonzipper » Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:33 pm

Here are some deleted scenes from the restoration. The first video is about visually setting up the carb sync and cables. I used this method on all four carbs and viewed from the top of the bike you can sync both sides easy. When I started the bike for the first time, it started on the third kick and went into fast idle with choke on and when it warmed up it idled perfectly without any adjustments on the idle screw. In the spring I will fine tune it with a snail type sync meter and a cork in the cross-over pipe. but it ran well during my short test ride.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8OVtcugwgs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frgs0Hym4NI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2ZGpdO6_84" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

pstamper
- - - - -
- - - - -

#39 Post by pstamper » Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:48 pm

Very nice job. Bike sound great. Another one back to life. Did you also do the painting/

Vonzipper

#40 Post by Vonzipper » Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:06 pm

I did all the painting except for the tank, my buddy a professional bodywork/spray painter did it for me for free. He owed me a favor.

wolfgangh
- - - - -
- - - - -

#41 Post by wolfgangh » Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:39 am

Hi, can you share the paint code of the red paint you used, did you paint the whole bike or just partially?

ixe13
- - - - -
- - - - -

#42 Post by ixe13 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:37 pm

Any info on the Vin sticker ?

Vonzipper

#43 Post by Vonzipper » Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:10 pm

I painted the wheels semi gloss black, frame in Cast Aluminum, the fairings and side panels were not painted and are in original color. I painted the red on the front cowl by having my paint shop color match the red from the side panel, it came pretty close but its a little darker in real life. The VIN decal was from RD reproduction decals I think, have to recheck that, cost $20.00 plus shipping.